Arbroath close season thread

sorry fir gettin this yin wrong lads look like i jumped the gun, ive heard since that coff was in very advanced talks but nae agreement wis met and moore pipped him tae it. gid appointment

we did dodge a bullet there "coff" would have been a terrible appointment, plays awful football

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take it you mean David O Brien?

A decent signing if you get him. Warning about his fitness though. He missed a lot of games in the last 2 seasons. A lot of Dundee and Ayr fans may not agree, but I thought he was good when he played for us.

How good is he likely to be in league 1? I assume his best position is up top? Is he any use in midfield or out wide etc?

Play him reguarly and get his confidence up and he'll easy get 15+ goals. He was used a couple of times out right but is really just a striker.

Can't really take to much from that, 6-0, loads of trialists and youths and weve had 3 sessions back whilst they've been back for a good while and had a settled first choice starting 11 out. Big big moneymaker I'd imagine, hospitality looked busy and a crowd of just under 2000 at 10er a entrance.

For us, Morrison was his usual decent and steady unlucky with one of the goals. The trialist who was at Berwick last season and got the 2nd half looked terrible though. Massive mistakes made from him. Can't see him being back.

Little at right back had a tough time against McGinn and Hayes, still don't see him as a right back but we only had 4 defenders there today. McWalter actually looked quite good when he came on was surprised by him.

Travis was steady and did very well.

Lindsay had a howler but he isn't a centre half so I'll let him off, bench bound this year again I think.

Johnstone looked good I liked him, tough afternoon but he looked quite decent up against Robson, Pawlett and Logan.

Linn had some good wee runs but we never saw much of the ball today so was hard for him to make an impact, few mistakes when he did get himself into positions.

Whatley and Nicoll had a hard hard game in there but did well, Whatley looks like he could be a very good signing some lovely touches and read the game well.

McBride looks like he will be good for us, cracking left foot on him but the same for the rest of the midfield we never had much of it so was tough.

McManus and Murray barely got a sniff but Murray did look really quick and never stopped running to be fair I him. Some step up that the day for him.

I was not impressed with any if the trialists, they just didn't look good enough at all, made up the numbers though but I don't think we will see them back. Currently sitting at.

Morrison

Lindsay

Travis

Little

Johnstone

Whatley

Nicoll

Linn

McBride

Wallace

Murray

McManus

Then Scott, McWalter, Birse as the young lads.

Big job for Moore but I'm looking forward to seeing who he brings in, I imagine it'll be another 5 atleast. Then we will still have a budget for loans if needed. Great being back at Gayf! :lol:

Big job for Moore but I'm looking forward to seeing who he brings in, I imagine it'll be another 5 atleast. Then we will still have a budget for loans if needed.

Sheerin said there was a budget for 4 players when he left and we have signed mcbride since so Moore will have to be very shrewd to get 5 more players in.

Big job for Moore but I'm looking forward to seeing who he brings in, I imagine it'll be another 5 atleast. Then we will still have a budget for loans if needed.

Sheerin said there was a budget for 4 players when he left and we have signed mcbride since so Moore will have to be very shrewd to get 5 more players in.

Aye but Sheerin was a player aswell mind. Plus 4 of the squad are under 19 guys. Sure we will still have plenty of the budget to spend.

Little had an absolute howler at right back.

Thought Arbroath also struggled to defend in swinging crosses. Lack of presence at the back.

Stoney did alright as was regularly faced with Robson and the full back in his area.

Bobby Linn looked like he was just back from his hols but showed flashes of quality.

Mark Whately looked particularly calm and composed and should do a good job.

Murray looked decent at this level as I thought he would and should profit against weaker defences.

Second half keeper looked way short of this level.

McWalter and Birse looked reasonable prospects albeit lightweight when they came on.

Aberdeen never got out of second gear otherwise it could have been a lot more.

0-7?..........ouch!!!

Nah not really, 1 training session, new management team, own signings to come, see where we are at the end of the season, to many reading far to much into the 1st pre-season game

0-7?..........ouch!!!

I was expecting it to be 5/6. It's an Aberdeen team who have been full throttle pre season full time the last couple of weeks against a mish mash Arbroath team full of trialists and youth players for Arbroath who have just gotten back from their holidays and have had 3 training sessions. Anyone really expect a different outcome?

At least the club brought in a few quid today. With just over 1800 people at the game i can imagine the club earning well over £10000. Probably closer to £13000. That should help to bring a couple of new players.

Archived