Aberdeen v Motherwell - 11th May

Jeeeezuss this is thread is embarrassing.

We both had good seasons. Any right thinking Dons fan would admit that coming second twice in a row is decent going, and any right thinking 'Well fan would say that coming third and winning a cup is also decent going!

Imagine if the roles were reversed, you'd both still be arguing your achievement was better!

Yikes min!

Agreed.

I think we all knew this thread would turn out this way (especially if we won).

I regret nothing

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We both had good seasons. Any right thinking Dons fan would admit that coming second twice in a row is decent going, and any right thinking 'Well fan would say that coming third and winning a cup is also decent going!

Imagine if the roles were reversed, you'd both still be arguing your achievement was better!

Yikes min!

Good post. Agreed.

Yikes min!

Yeah, it has spiralled a bit. PS King of the diddies three times a row and it's more than 'decent'

Funny, I like reminding Celtic fans that Aberdeen won two European Trophies and Aberdeen fans that they've won one real one but in the long distant past. I remember jumping about when Hewitt scored.

But, let's be honest, in the recent times, our achievement is better. ;)

Let's just settle this now, would you rather have:

• 2nd place in the league and no Cup
  • 3rd place in the league however you've won a Cup

Before you answer, remeber if you choose the first option you are a great, big liar.

If that's the question you're asking, then i'd rather the 2nd option.

However...your question is flawed in the context of what it is we're happy about.

If that's the question you're asking, then i'd rather the 2nd option.

However...your question is flawed in the context of what it is we're happy about.

I completely understand why you lot are happy.

I think Motherwell are one of the most under rated Clubs in Scotland and do not get the credit they deserve.

What I don't understand is P&B going into meltdown laughing at Aberdeen fans when we've finished 3rd, have a trophy in the cabinet, we're in Europe and are looking forward to a bright future under McInnes.

My seethe on Sunday lasted about as long as took me to finish my first post match pint :cheers

My seethe on Sunday lasted about as long as took me to finish my first post match pint :cheers

How it should be.

Going back to your question, if it's one season only - 3rd and a cup all day long.

If it's 3rd, 2nd, 2nd or 1 League Cup, I'd pick the league finishes over a League Cup win.

I'd swap it all for a Scottish Cup win though!

If you ask the fans, they'll probably say the trophy is better, but ask a manager, and he'll mabye say league form is better. It's all about context. Ask a team with recent success in cups what they'd rather have, they might say league form, but with our trophy hoodoo, it was great to get the cup.

Again, if you ask an older player who hasn't won anything yet (Russ, Clangers) then they'd likely say he cup, but a younger more ambitious player might rank league form above a trophy success.

Either way, they're both good things!

If you ask the fans, they'll probably say the trophy is better, but ask a manager, and he'll mabye say league form is better. It's all about context. Ask a team with recent success in cups what they'd rather have, they might say league form, but with our trophy hoodoo, it was great to get the cup.

Again, if you ask an older player who hasn't won anything yet (Russ, Clangers) then they'd likely say he cup, but a younger more ambitious player might rank league form above a trophy success.

Either way, they're both good things!

Everyone feels different, and generally they all have good reason to.

BBC Alba did an interview with Stevie Hammell last week (talking about making 500 appearances for Motherwell) and he said he'd swap them all for some silverware.

Let's just settle this now, would you rather have:

• 2nd place in the league and no Cup
  • 3rd place in the league however you've won a Cup

Before you answer, remeber if you choose the first option you are a great, big liar.

Third option should be 4th and Scottish Cup, considering that debate has already started on another thread before they've even won the cup.

Or a 4th one. Lose the Ramsdens Cup final but be enjoying the journey? I'd prefer that one.

Third option should be 4th and Scottish Cup, considering that debate has already started on another thread before they've even won the cup.

Or a 4th one. Lose the Ramsdens Cup final but be enjoying the journey? I'd prefer that one.

Probably 4th place and Scottish cup, seeing as that'll get you a decent euro spot.

The journey does sound good though. I've always wanted to see the world (Glebe Park, Stair Park, Bayview etc.)

Probably 4th place and Scottish cup, seeing as that'll get you a decent euro spot.

The journey does sound good though. I've always wanted to see the world (Glebe Park, Stair Park, Bayview etc.)

I'd probaly take 11th and Scottish Cup, tbh...

You are missing out on Glebe Park, great wee ground, tremendous soup. Took my girlfriend there once for Valentines day. #gent #romantic

You are missing out on Glebe Park, great wee ground, tremendous soup. Took my girlfriend there once for Valentines day. #gent #romantic

I've actually been (league cup tie a few years ago), and added it because I thought it was a cracking wee ground! Got to stand in front of the famous hedge!

Top 6 and a Scottish cup would be perfect for next season - but the real answer is "any of the above". Even after a sustained period of, from a motherwell perspective, genuine success (string of top 6 finishes, finals and semi-finals, consistent european qualification), I still can't come to expect success the following year and my expectations are already reset for next season.

What Desp hints at above fits with my view - 3 years of sustained high finishes means that if, like me, you go to most games - you've been seeing your team winning a lot (we don't do draws) and really enjoying your football over a long period. Whilst they are not mutually exclusive, I'm not sure I would swap a pish season in the league and a league cup win for the type of league finish we've had the last 3 years (I know that St Mirren, Killie and Dons fans will probably disagree with that).

Top 6 and a Scottish cup would be perfect for next season - but the real answer is "any of the above". Even after a sustained period of, from a motherwell perspective, genuine success (string of top 6 finishes, finals and semi-finals, consistent european qualification), I still can't come to expect success the following year and my expectations are already reset for next season.

What Desp hints at above fits with my view - 3 years of sustained high finishes means that if, like me, you go to most games - you've been seeing your team winning a lot (we don't do draws) and really enjoying your football over a long period. Whilst they are not mutually exclusive, I'm not sure I would swap a pish season in the league and a league cup win for the type of league finish we've had the last 3 years (I know that St Mirren, Killie and Dons fans will probably disagree with that).

2 points behind Motherwell = pish league season.

Aye, alright.

Archived