Aberdeen v Motherwell - 11th May

I said it in a match thread recently - but I can't believe we picked him up outside the window as he looks perfectly comfortable at our level. He's not a technically amazing player but he is decently quick, and a proper defender - it is credit to McCall but how he wasn't one of the first names on the team sheet at Morton is bizarre - there must be more to that.

He was excellent in 12/13 for us but was asked to take a wage cut in the summer as we cut back and chose to leave, didn't find a club then re-signed for us in October on a deal until January. When he came back in he wasn't anywhere near the player he'd been the season before: understandable considering he wasn't fully fit, was brought into a defence that was already a total disaster area and was usually used at full back, where as you've probably seen yourselves he's nowhere near as good as he is at centre back.

Shiels then came in and decided that as his contract was expiring and he'd identified two players he could sign with Reid's wage, he could go. One is absolutely diabolical and the other has been injured all the time, we'd have been much better keeping Reid.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From an Aberdeen perspective - it would be crazy to continue the (normal football supporter) overreaction to today and let it sour a good season. Right now if someone offered me a league cup win and europe from next season, I'd offer them a sook job. The league is going to be the same or weaker next season and Aberdeen will have a static budget and so will be favourites to get 2nd next season as they were this year. Both Aberdeen and 'Well will have something that every club would love which is stability from a position of strength - so once today is out of the system, I think more folk will be happy.

I don't know how or when club budgets are set but I cannot imagine that Aberdeen's income hasn't improved by between 2 and 3 million quid this season

an extra 3,500 average attendance

2 good cup runs and the attendant income

improved league prize money of nearly £1M

If they can't at least match this season (in the league) then the mis-management is even worse than we thought

He was excellent in 12/13 for us but was asked to take a wage cut in the summer as we cut back and chose to leave, didn't find a club then re-signed for us in October on a deal until January. When he came back in he wasn't anywhere near the player he'd been the season before: understandable considering he wasn't fully fit, was brought into a defence that was already a total disaster area and was usually used at full back, where as you've probably seen yourselves he's nowhere near as good as he is at centre back.

Shiels then came in and decided that as his contract was expiring and he'd identified two players he could sign with Reid's wage, he could go. One is absolutely diabolical and the other has been injured all the time, we'd have been much better keeping Reid.

He's not played much at centre half at all - but he's impressed me as a right back I have to say and he's been up against better/faster players than he would have been normally in the 1st, so he's made the step up well so far. He's apparently been offered a 2 year deal after playing for his petrol money so far - so we'll see if he kicks on now that he's not playing for a contract...

The referee gave motherwell 2 more points than they came for and 3 more than they deserved. Was pretty disappointed with them today as they needed to win but opted to park the bus and it made for an awful game to watch.

How the ref misses that foul on Langfield is incredible.

Anderson's booking was for dissent, I'm sure?

No, it was for punching the ball clear. He was saved from a red card as the ball was over the line at the time so he didn't deny the goal scoring opportunity. Basically the same as Reynolds. Armed it off the line but they then scored from the follow up.

I thought Faddy was going to burst when the goal went in! Jumping about like a nutter.

Is it Leitch that runs into the crowd like a haddy? Was looking at the roof at the time coz I fell over eight people.

"When you join this club, they get under your skin".

He's not played much at centre half at all - but he's impressed me as a right back I have to say and he's been up against better/faster players than he would have been normally in the 1st, so he's made the step up well so far. He's apparently been offered a 2 year deal after playing for his petrol money so far - so we'll see if he kicks on now that he's not playing for a contract...

He has done well sitting in front of the defense too. Since Carswell went out we have needed extra legs in the midfield with Vigurs not the most mobile or diligent in defending. The way we lined up today should have been the line up at Tannadice, very defensive and looking for a break away.

It would have been a killer to lose an early goal today so it was a good tactic. If we didn't get the goal I would be in a rage about sitting in when we had to win but what a difference a bit of luck makes.

No, it was for punching the ball clear. He was saved from a red card as the ball was over the line at the time so he didn't deny the goal scoring opportunity. Basically the same as Reynolds. Armed it off the line but they then scored from the follow up.

But then he was up complaining to the ref? As the goal was given and the booking wasn't given straight away, the only logical explanation would be for dissent.

Of course, if I'm wrong and it was for the handball then the referee shouldn't have gave him a yellow card.

The referee gave motherwell 2 more points than they came for and 3 more than they deserved. Was pretty disappointed with them today as they needed to win but opted to park the bus and it made for an awful game to watch.

How the ref misses that foul on Langfield is incredible.

:lol:

Are you taking the piss? Your lot were sat in hoping for the 0-0.

Awful game to watch? Aw aye, I'm sure our squad will be really gutted you think that. 1-0, your bottle crashed. End of story.

:lol:

Are you taking the piss? Your lot were sat in hoping for the 0-0.

Awful game to watch? Aw aye, I'm sure our squad will be really gutted you think that. 1-0, your bottle crashed. End of story.

:lol::lol::lol: Did you watch the game?

:lol::lol::lol: Did you watch the game?

I did. A wayward cross hit the post, can't really think of much else our defence had to do. Last 20 minutes especially, very negative stuff from your lot whilst we threw bodies up front.

Did YOU watch the game?

Poor goalkeeping from Langfield, walked out to the ball and tried to claim it from a standing jump with no momentum. If he had come and timed his run and jump properly the foul wouldn't have had any impact, at worst he could have just punched it clear. It was a foul, but it was pathetic goalkeeping.

I did. A wayward cross hit the post, can't really think of much else our defence had to do. Last 20 minutes especially, very negative stuff from your lot whilst we threw bodies up front.

Did YOU watch the game?

We had several chances however a combination of terrible offside calls and our own reluctance to shoot robbed us of them. Did you even watch the game?

When did aberdeen actually try to win the game though?

From the first second onwards.

We had several chances however a combination of terrible offside calls and our own reluctance to shoot robbed us of them. Did you even watch the game?

So you had chances to have chances.

20 goals for the Dons at Todders, Aberdeen have been happy to sit back at home all season.

you're quite clearly talking out your hole :lol:

When did aberdeen actually try to win the game though?

this is how we played plenty of how our home matches.

If we didn't try to win this game then we never tried to win against Hibs, Ross county, St Johnstone twice, the other Motherwell game, probably more. We went out to win. we tend not concede and usually nick a goal so it is fairly effective, evidently not against Motherwell however.

Our football has not been all that exciting at home, we get results so that makes up for it. quality of football on show is decent enough, but its not the best to watch every 2nd week.

Anyway, thats me just about calmed down from this afternoon. Well Done Motherwell on a ruthlessly executed game plan and a just about deserved 2nd Place.

Archived