Greenock Morton 2014/2015 Thread

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wish some of you guys would wake up and smell the coffee!

We are a flagging first division club, accept that.

Jim Duffy will be a stabilising influence, will ensure we add a bit of steel to the team, has a personal affection for Morton, will work his guts out to succeed and WILL be good for us. Get behind him and start to appreciate his many assets.

His discussion on Radio Clyde is always sensible and every day language unlike Kenny's psychobabble. The players will understand him and will be in no doubt what is expected of them. Duffy will bring in the right players and will get them playing for him.

I am very excited about the new season and can only see an upward curve ahead.

If Duffy had been appointed when he applied many years ago we would be in a far superior position today.

Mr Rae should be given credit for now realising he made a mistake and being man enough to rectify it.

He also deserves great appreciation for continuing to bank roll full time football in the 3rd tier.

I can only see positives and give me Jim Duffy over for example Stephen Aitken any day if the week.

'mon the 'ton.

We're not a flagging First Division club, we're a flagging League One club. The angry reaction to this appointment isn't a consequence of delusions of grandeur about our stature and the calibre of manager we could attract (although Rae's pursuit of Ian Murray certainly was). The fans of every League One club would have been furious if they'd appointed Jim Duffy, as Jim Duffy was a failure in the one job he's had at this level and every club would hope to find a better manager.

That's why every thread relating to Morton on P&B isn't full of angry Morton fans alongside fans of other clubs questioning why Morton fans are angry, it's full of angry Morton fans and fans of other clubs absolutely pishing themselves laughing at the fact we've appointed Jim Duffy, who are questioning why on earth Rae thought it was a good appointment, especially when Stevie Aitken had publicly declared his interest. More on Aitken later.

I have a huge personal affection for Morton and I'd work my guts out to succeed if I was the manager. That doesn't mean I would do so, as I'm completely underqualified: not unlike Jim Duffy, who has done absolutely nothing in his managerial career to suggest he's qualified to win this league.

I couldn't give a toss how he comes across on the radio in comparison to Kenny Shiels, I give a toss about his track record as a manager. You speak of his assets. Name them. You say he'll make the right signings: where's his track record of excellent signings? He's been a consistent failure throughout his lengthy career, with the exception of his first job at Falkirk, which he left in 1989. Even the high points people speak about are surrounded by failure. He's just had a good season with Clyde, but it was preceded by two absolutely dreadful seasons. He took Dundee to the Scottish Cup final, but was mediocre in the league despite the absolutely outrageous budget he had to work with, then got them relegated when the money ran out.

Considering Duffy's dreadful track record in relegation battles, I'm not sure we would be in a better position today had we appointed him when he applied in 2008: instead we got Davie Irons who for all his faults kept us up after inheriting McInally's mess, then after a dreadful start the following season eventually lifted us out of the relegation battle with a comfortable mid-table finish. You only have to look at how far Clyde - who we finished above in both those seasons under Irons - have fallen to see that we could be in a much worse state.

Now, you say you'd take Jim Duffy over Stevie Aitken any day of the week. I'm forced to conclude that you're another person who's completely incapable of looking beyond their playing careers when judging this despite the fact that has no relevance to their managerial ability. Yes, Duffy was a fantastic player for Morton while Aitken was mediocre at best, but the real basis for comparison here is their managerial records. Overall Duffy has a piss poor managerial record totalling almost 20 years of failure, whereas while Aitken is inexperienced, he's been an unqualified success in his first job, where he's managed in the division we're going to be in next season. You can talk about experience, but managing for a long time means f**k all if you haven't learned from your experience. The fact Duffy has experience of managing at higher levels where Aitken hasn't means nothing when he's managed badly at higher levels again and again, showing no indication of an ability to learn from mistakes through his experience. I genuinely can't see a single barometer of managerial ability where Duffy betters Aitken.

As for Rae's financial contribution, you call it bankrolling, I call it saddling the club with debt without any credible plan to clear it in the long term or even reduce losses in the short term. For all that I feel he's utterly misguided and is doing far more harm than good, there's no doubt that Rae does genuinely care about the club and wants to do what's best for it so would never call it in himself, but for any club of our size to have this amount of debt is dangerous and I can't help feeling that with every year of another six figures being added to the debt, Rae is passing a death sentence on the club.

tl;dr - You've offered absolutely no justification for this appointment beyond nonsensical clichés and a desire to be holier than thou in your happy clapping.

Jim Duffy. As lazy an appointment as it is a shite one. If he guides Morton to the league title in the coming season then I'll dive in to a big jaggy bush whilst wearing assless chaps.

Brilliant response, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it even though I agree with very little of it.

Let's just wait and see who's right.

Hopefully we're both agreed that it will be me.

Depends on how highly you value your Brechin-esque string of humiliations at a higher level I guess.

Aye you are right there . .........Although the 1983 season was a belter for us . We were top of the first division at new year and in contention till about March but sadly fell away near the end of the season to finish 6th I think.

No bad for a wee diddy team consistently punching above our weight .

Can't wait for our tussles with the big teams this season though.

Brilliant response, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it even though I agree with very little of it.

Let's just wait and see who's right.

Hopefully we're both agreed that it will be me.

It almost certainly won't be you. As Jim Duffy's shite record would suggest. The same shite record that can't be argued with. That shows he's shite.

Serious question for the Morton fans - Duffy or McInally?

Too early to say. Right now, I'd sooner have some of the roasters from the cowshed in charge than either of them.

Wish some of you guys would wake up and smell the coffee!

We are a flagging first division club, accept that.

Jim Duffy will be a stabilising influence, will ensure we add a bit of steel to the team, has a personal affection for Morton, will work his guts out to succeed and WILL be good for us. Get behind him and start to appreciate his many assets.

His discussion on Radio Clyde is always sensible and every day language unlike Kenny's psychobabble. The players will understand him and will be in no doubt what is expected of them. Duffy will bring in the right players and will get them playing for him.

I am very excited about the new season and can only see an upward curve ahead.

If Duffy had been appointed when he applied many years ago we would be in a far superior position today.

Mr Rae should be given credit for now realising he made a mistake and being man enough to rectify it.

He also deserves great appreciation for continuing to bank roll full time football in the 3rd tier.

I can only see positives and give me Jim Duffy over for example Stephen Aitken any day if the week.

'mon the 'ton.

What a load of pish!

Serious question for the Morton fans - Duffy or McInally?

Mickey Mouse would be better than McInally was for us. He seems to have done a decent job for you guys though. As for Duffy, his record is pretty poor, so I guess we can only expect the same.

Archived