Greenock Morton 2014/2015 Thread

Alloa at home in the quarter finals of the Petrofac cup.

Relatively happy with that draw, obviously it's a team from a higher league, but one of the part time teams at home should always be looked at as a good draw at this stage of the tournament.

In other news, Jamie McCluskey is expected to sign a one year deal before the weekend, after impressing in his three games so far, scoring twice.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relatively happy with that draw, obviously it's a team from a higher league, but one of the part time teams at home should always be looked at as a good draw at this stage of the tournament.

In other news, Jamie McCluskey is expected to sign a one year deal before the weekend, after impressing in his three games so far, scoring twice.

I'd say he impressed in 2 games and ran around in circles in the other. Keep him fit and on the wing and he should do well for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading about your five centre backs got me thinking that Morton need a dose of Bert Paton. He believed centre backs were the work of Satan and systematically rooted them out of the club. Okay, he was mad, but he reasoned that centre backs were generally carthorses who wanted to play football but coaches had spotted at a young age that they were pish.

His Fife version of total football saw wing kings (eg Ivo Den Biemen) and strike stars (eg Andy Tod) turned into defenders. Any young defenders that showed promise (eg Jackie Macnamara) were moved forward into midfield. We scored and (conceded) an epic amount of goals but it was huge fun and very successful period. Bert also sent a couple of injured players to see his vet after spotting that the injuries they'd sustained were similar to those his vet had repaired on his horses.

Desperately needed a central midfielder and we've got one, good news. We still need full backs and another central midfielder as well as more depth up front, but at least the lack of options in midfield has been slightly addressed now. I'm resigning myself to this being the squad finalised until January but at least we've got the option to both drop McKee when he plays badly and stop playing centre backs in midfield. Crawford and Hands to start in the middle on Saturday please.

On a scale of 1 (Brian Graham) to 10 (Nacho Novo), how woeful is Barry McKay? We've signed him on loan from Rangers until January.

He's alright, showed flashes of what he's capable of. Tore Dumbarton a new one at Cappielow and had a good game against Livingston that's about it.

He has shocking hair though, so -10.

Others have covered McKay well enough. Talented, fairly quick, and a very good first touch, but also gutless, lightweight, and not exactly a worker off the ball. If he works hard and finds a way to channel his ability into effective performances then he'll be as decent signing for Raith. - but expect mostly frustration with some excellent moments here and there.

I reckon Crawford will eventually be a first team regular at Rangers. Some even argue he should already be a regular starter right now. I've been impressed with him in the games he has played for Rangers so far. Probably the best of the seven players Rangers have sent out on loan today.

The guy has been praised for his dedication and professionalism. He finished in the top 20 in a marathon in 2013 which had 3000 people taking part so in terms of fitness he was in a league of his own at Rangers in that regard.

On a scale of 1 (Brian Graham) to 10 (Nacho Novo), how woeful is Barry McKay? We've signed him on loan from Rangers until January.

If he tries he can be excellent, but seen as you're not Rangers he'll probably just saunter about thinking he doesn't need to try to be good for you, being awful as a result. The classic example of a player with talent who's going to waste his career through a lack of effort and a baseless big-time attitude.

He finished in the top 20 in a marathon in 2013 which had 3000 people taking part so in terms of fitness he was in a league of his own at Rangers in that regard.

:lol: This is a tremendously pointless thing to mention

I reckon Crawford will eventually be a first team regular at Rangers. Some even argue he should already be a regular starter right now. I've been impressed with him in the games he has played for Rangers so far. Probably the best of the seven players Rangers have sent out on loan today.

The guy has been praised for his dedication and professionalism. He finished in the top 20 in a marathon in 2013 which had 3000 people taking part so in terms of fitness he was in a league of his own at Rangers in that regard.

If he can't get a game for that team you have the now, what hope has he got when you start spending ridiculous amounts again?

Archived