Montrose FC 2014/15

Referring back to Lichtie1320's posts above and his apology for butting in - does anybody (from both sides) agree that it would be good to scrap the segregation thing that happens when the Mo and the Smokies play each other?

It's great to have such a historical rivalry between the football clubs and the two towns but we put them in the open end when it's likely to piss it down all day and nowadays they put us in an open ended corner as well. With every other team we just mingle with the oppo fans and it's great banter. Presumably it's a police thing but as they'll be at the game anyway they can pull out and chuck out anybody who goes too far.

Assume I'm beating my head against a brick wall but how does everybody else feel about it? Keep the rivalry and the chants for better or worse but cut out the nasty bits and the segragation?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Referring back to Lichtie1320's posts above and his apology for butting in - does anybody (from both sides) agree that it would be good to scrap the segregation thing that happens when the Mo and the Smokies play each other?

It's great to have such a historical rivalry between the football clubs and the two towns but we put them in the open end when it's likely to piss it down all day and nowadays they put us in an open ended corner as well. With every other team we just mingle with the oppo fans and it's great banter. Presumably it's a police thing but as they'll be at the game anyway they can pull out and chuck out anybody who goes too far.

Assume I'm beating my head against a brick wall but how does everybody else feel about it? Keep the rivalry and the chants for better or worse but cut out the nasty bits and the segragation?

Would be good to see but I've seen a fair few scraps in my times at the games, probably best just incase, sad but needed for the numpties I think! Regarding Hay I heard we have offered him a contract too, dunno how reliable that is though. Don't know why he never played that much for Brechin, good when I saw him, supposedly training didn't suit him with Brechin.

The segregation will have to stay as 1320Lichtie says. The vast majority of fans, mainly those of a certain age group, would mingle well. The songs and the banter back and forward would still be there and would be enjoyed. The biggest problem is there is always a couple of idiots from each set of fans thinks that causing trouble means your dedicated to your team. Just have to remember back to the last cup game at Gayfield, when at full time the Arbroath fans jumped onto the [pitch, and unfortunately there where a couple who though it would be a good idea to assault the Mo keeper Ramiro. It was pathetic and not needed.

Unless these idiots ( And I do mean on both sides ) are kept away from these games, and unfortunately in my eyes that means not even being allowed near the ground we will never get away from the segregation.

Hay has apparently signed for Formartine

I heard that too, but a reliable source said it was Moyes and not Hay. NOBODY ASSAULTED THE GOALIE!!!! He got a tap to the shoulder and fell to the ground Dida'esque!!

Some interesting points being made. A wee birdy has told me that there is an experienced striker on the verge of signing however have to wait till the 1st of June for it to be announced. Also a certain goal scoring midfielder that may need to lose a few pounds but has consistently been on the score sheet for his Junior team has approached the management team about coming back to play for the club.

All in all lets see what business is done in the coming 6 weeks or so. From what I gather Shields wants to have a settled squad signed up for pre-season starting this way they can do the hard work as a team and see where it takes us next season.

As for having Arbroath back down, always enjoy a day out drinking in Arbroath before & after the games, yes there are a few tubes that go the games, sitting up watching Green Street the night before and thinking the North Angus Coast is East London but it adds to the fixture. Was horrible watching them win the league against us, however a small measure of revenge and satisfaction was regained start of this season when Pingu scored and McKenzie put himself forward as a fans favourite saving Linn's penalty.

Irrespective of what happened to the keeper that day, and quite rightly stated about the fights that often break out, there will never be the two supports mingling. It is pathetic for two teams like ourselves. Always get a good laugh with other team supporters inside and out of the grounds.

Read this morning that GS is considering on keeping a few more players from this seasons squad. Any names on who?

A lot of points above worth commenting on.

To our fisherman friend from Berwick, it is clear from the posts on here that many Montrose fans fear Shields will be a disaster. All we can hope now is that our fears are unfounded and that the board have made an inspired choice and not our own version of Michael Renwick.

Secondly Moyes and Hay are exactly the type of player we should be going for. Moyes is well respected by many observers whilst a Brechin fan I work with regards Hay as one of their better players last season. However the fact they have been released by a club that finished eighth in league one makes a mockery of the suggestion they are pie in the sky signings. Sure they'll will be interest from other clubs with Hay being linked with Formartine and rumours of Moyes to Dumbarton, though that seems odd if he continues to be based in Aberdeen. (Moforever - pretty sure Hay played a whole lot more times for Brechin last season and Moyes somewhat less, though that's understandable given the accident he was involved in last summer).

Signing at least one of these guys would give the fans some fresh hope. We haven't added anything fresh on the managerial side and with Bell, Wilson and McCord all now re-signing we have the majority of last season's underachieving squad signed back up. Towards the end of the season a few of us said that we wouldn't be that disappointed if the whole squad were released . Extreme I know , but given their performances I think the only guy who would have had a legitimate complaint with that would have been Stuart McKenzie.

As others have said, the board have got to do something to sell the club to absent fans and keep others out of the legion. We need something fresh and new. That hasn't happened with the managerial appointments so we need to hope for some decent signings. Stuart Garden was particularly poor in putting together a decent well balanced squad over the past 2 summers, so there is a real challenge for Shields to do better but it's a bit of a vicious circle - poor season after poor season, leading to reduced revenue, making it harder to improve things and so on.

Sounds like there is potential to get Jamie back. Would be an asset but once again we risk being overloaded by centre mids. Desperately need some wide players both in defence and midfield.

So c'mon Montrose, give the fans something to be excited about and stimulate fresh interest in the club. At the moment were struggling for optimism given the continuity on both the playing and managerial side, as the evidence over the past couple of seasons isn't particularly favourable.

Sounds like there is potential to get Jamie back. Would be an asset but once again we risk being overloaded by centre mids. Desperately need some wide players both in defence and midfield.

The only thing about having the centre midfielders we do have is that none of them are that creative. Far to often its a punt forward for the 'strikers' to chase. At least with Jamie his range and vision for passing was superb.

We also need some players that are vocal. We are a quiet team and seem to struggle to have a natural leader on the pitch.

The only thing about having the centre midfielders we do have is that none of them are that creative. Far to often its a punt forward for the 'strikers' to chase. At least with Jamie his range and vision for passing was superb.

We also need some players that are vocal. We are a quiet team and seem to struggle to have a natural leader on the pitch.

As I say, Jamie would be an asset. However we already have Masson, Watson, Webster and McCord signed up.

With our limited budget for wages and the impact that has on the size of squad we can afford, 5 centre mids is excessive when we are desperately short in other positions. Would be another season with an imbalanced squad.

It's not that I'm against Jamie, rather that I am concerned that Webster and McCord have been given new contracts and there can't be many more spaces left in the squad- I reckon we are up to 14 signed players.

Some interesting points being made. A wee birdy has told me that there is an experienced striker on the verge of signing however have to wait till the 1st of June for it to be announced. Also a certain goal scoring midfielder that may need to lose a few pounds but has consistently been on the score sheet for his Junior team has approached the management team about coming back to play for the club.

All in all lets see what business is done in the coming 6 weeks or so. From what I gather Shields wants to have a settled squad signed up for pre-season starting this way they can do the hard work as a team and see where it takes us next season.

As for having Arbroath back down, always enjoy a day out drinking in Arbroath before & after the games, yes there are a few tubes that go the games, sitting up watching Green Street the night before and thinking the North Angus Coast is East London but it adds to the fixture. Was horrible watching them win the league against us, however a small measure of revenge and satisfaction was regained start of this season when Pingu scored and McKenzie put himself forward as a fans favourite saving Linn's penalty.

experienced striker?any clues :thumsup2

Have you got nothing better to do? Can you only get attention you so desperately crave from the Angus boys?

I think it's cute, you know like when a little kid shouts bad names at the girl he likes.

Afternoon all, any thoughts on Calum Ferguson, kid you had on loan from Inverness?

Apparently he was injured when we got him from Inverness. He joined up at the same time as Duguid from Aberdeen and have played the same amount! I don't think two separate SPL teams are doing something wrong to their players. Now you can join up the rest of the dots.

Archived