The Official Berwick Rangers 2014/2015 Thread

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally good, although still too many mistakes. He's barely 20 though so has time to rid that from his game. For long periods of the season there were too many changes at the back for whatever reason, so it didn't help him not able to play in a settled back line. Think he will be a good lower league player for years to come.

Club confirmed today 16 staying-on.

Surprised we've kept Dalziel.

http://www.berwickrangersfc.co.uk/f-news/news-articles/five-more-sign.html

9 May 2014

The club would like to confirm that: Devon Jacobs (pictured left), Dean Hoskins, Dean Carse, Scott Dalziel and Ben Miller have put pen to paper and signed contract extensions which take them to the end of season 2014/15. Manager Colin Cameron has been working hard and this now means that 16 players are fully signed up.

They are (in no particular order) Michael Andrews, Billy Bald, Devon Jacobs, Jonny Fairbairn, Stephen Tulloch, Ross Gray, Andy Russell, Scott Dalziel, Dean Carse, Dean Hoskins, Ben Miller, Steven Notman, Paul Currie, Josh Morris, Kenny O’Brien and player boss Colin Cameron. There should be more news soon.

Damian Gielty leaves the club with best wishes. The left sided player who joined from FC Aventir in Luxembourg is moving with his family to Amsterdam very soon.

I'd hoped we could keep Lee Currie and Lavery. Even if we do, we need another 2-3 defenders given we've only 4 currently (looks like Brydon/Downie/Turner away?), and perhaps another striker.

That's a good base of a squad, although if we're going to be aiming for the championship I think we need to fill the rest of the places with quality, better than what we have, not squad players. We need another CB, a LB a left winger and a couple of strikers at least, not to mention someone in there where Currie plays.

We didn't need an overhaul, so hopefully with most of the squad signed up we won't just be inviting anyone along for a trial this year and we can target some good players, not just players Yano already knew.

How did mike Dunlop do for you guys last season?

I liked him. Agree he's perhaps a little error prone but for his age he's a very good player and you kind of know that's going to happen. I'd expect this loan deal would have been very beneficial for him as he'll learn from those. He'd be a good option for Forfar next season but I wouldn't be surprised to see him out on loan again if he's not getting regular football.

Will be good to see Berwick coming up to join us in League 1 after next season's title assault. #FootballFriends

Yes, spot on. Berwick should have been with you in play offs if it had not been for a clown in the middle in game at Stirling!

Quite surprised at Dalziel getting another year. Lavery and lee currie would certainly cut it at a higher level but hopefully they can be persuaded to stay another year for the title challenge.

It is clear though that there is at least a good foundation to build a successful young team around. A couple of quality players and maybe a couple of experienced ones who can lead the younger players when it gets a bit tough.

OK, I'm bored now.

It's been all quiet on the Shielfield front for a week now. Any news/rumours of new signings? Has Lee Currie really signed that rolling 5 year deal with us?

Rump of a solid squad there and big credit to the club for getting 16 players signed up by the middle of May. Still think we need 5-6 signings who will bring the extra quality needed for us to make a genuine title bid. Supporters also want to see new faces and bringing in new players is a good way to boost pre-season interest.

So let's be having you. Etc.

Not as convinced by others by KOB and ambivalent about him leaving. Had a promising start to his 1st team career at Shielfield but that petered out and he looked increasingly unsure of his role and not ready for that level. If it frees up some wages and helps us get a better quality player in, I'd take that.

Personal view is that priorities should be a left back, a left-sided midfielder, a quality central midfielder to replace LC if he goes, and 2 first choice strikers. There's also the million dollar question about Brydon, will he, won't he? If he does, it has to be on a pay as you play basis. Quality option to have though, given that the year before last he was the best centre back in the league by a country mile.

Wish list: Ross Drummond, John Gemmell, Lewis Coult. And Lee Currie.

I'm also not fussed about KOB. He may make it, but did nothing in 2nd half of season to suggest he'll be a regular in the 1st team any time soon. A year elsewhere might do him good like Ben Miller.

Without Brydon, we need another centre-back as well as the left sided players Razor suggests. Big hold-your-breath signing we desperately need, is a striker. Or two.

Rumours that KOB and a couple others didn't hang around when they realised they weren't in the squad for the Peterhead game. Straight in the car and away home. Hardly a surprise that kind of childish behaviour wouldn't impress Cameron.

Archived