The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listening to Sportsound and apparently Tommy Craig lost the plot, threw the headphones on the deck and stormed off in a huff after an innocuous question about Jim Goodwins sending off. This was before last night's game.

He'll be good entertainment value this season if nothing else. Until he's sacked anyhow.

Rumour - apparently well sourced - on BAWA that Newcastle United are planning on a bid for John McGinn with a view to loaning him back to us till the end of the season.

Rumour - apparently well sourced - on BAWA that Newcastle United are planning on a bid for John McGinn with a view to loaning him back to us till the end of the season.

Why would they do that when they can sign him for a development fee come the summer? Don't think they'd be that fussed about missing out on him and they could get someone to have a quiet word and tap him up to ensure he signs a PCA with them.

Why would they do that when they can sign him for a development fee come the summer? Don't think they'd be that fussed about missing out on him and they could get someone to have a quiet word and tap him up to ensure he signs a PCA with them.

Unless other clubs want to buy McGinn too and Newcastle want to preempt that.

Was looking at something out of interest and by my reckoning, St Mirren only have nine outfield players over the age of 21 in their squad. I know the old adage about if you're good enough (and there's no doubting the quality of some of the young players) but could Craig be doing with adding a bit more experience to the squad rather than looking for more young loan players? You look through the squad for guys that are maybe at their peak in terms of age (e.g. 25-30) but there is only McAusland and Tesselaar fall into that category.

Was looking at something out of interest and by my reckoning, St Mirren only have nine outfield players over the age of 21 in their squad. I know the old adage about if you're good enough (and there's no doubting the quality of some of the young players) but could Craig be doing with adding a bit more experience to the squad rather than looking for more young loan players? You look through the squad for guys that are maybe at their peak in terms of age (e.g. 25-30) but there is only McAusland and Tesselaar fall into that category.

The fact McAusland is leading out the team, and considered the defensive leader is frankly terrifying!

We have Thompson, Goodwin and Teale at one end of the spectrum and the rest of the squad 10-15 years younger than them.

We have basically 0 players at the age most consider their professional or physical 'peak'.

We need God to save us!

(and by God, I obviously mean Steven Thompson)

I could Google this, but that'd require effort... What's Paul McGowan's penalty record for St Mirren like? We have Harkins on them at present and no-ones ever been confident with him taking them, even before he joined us this time round. We've no clear 'penalty taker' since Ryan Conroy left us and I read on the Dundee thread that McGowan has taken a few for you lot.

Cheers.

Yeah as poster above has said, I can only remember that one saved by Ben Williams, who was saving every penalty going at that stage.

I'd put Harkins on free kicks and McGowan on penalties if I were Hartley. But I'm not, so hoping Harkins continues to take them...

He missed two competitive penalties that I remember, one against Hibs and one against QOTS away in the league cup. I'm sure he missed a third but I can't for the life of me remember when, I think it was last preseason.

He then got taken off them and McLean hasn't missed one since.

The issue there is our current players will be or were playing at a higher level between 25 and 30. We can get the outfield players after they've been at a higher level - Teale, Thompson. Or before - McGinn, McLean, Plummer.

Players playing for us in their peak would be doing so because they aren't good enough to play at a higher level. McAusland and Tesselaar being two who fall right into that category.

What would I rather have? Players who will be or were good enough for a higher level or players who will never be good enough? The former I think.

Archived