The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Goodwin was centre half. We weren't great tonight. Grainger scored a peach of a free kick for them, which he celebrated by cupping his ears infront of us.

Deserved to lose overall.

Didn't see that (TV gantry blocked my view of our fans) but rather bizarre if he did it. Didn't hear him getting any abuse from our fans, don't remember him getting much abuse from the fans when he was with us - except on Twitter and that was mainly because he wouldn't bloody shut up about Hearts!

First time I've seen us in pre-season. Goodwin at centre-half isn't the answer but we already knew that. Surprised we didn't try Tess and Plummer together in the middle to see how that worked. Goodwin made some more silly challenges and I think both teams were lucky the ref was being lenient due to it being friendly or there could have been a few red cards!

I know Lex thought Ball was poor but he didn't get much of the ball - unlucky not to score in the first half, would have been clean through had the ref not blown for advantage when McLean was fouled and also a nice flick to set Caldwell up just before half-time. Needs match practice. Thought Wylde (who was doing the hard stuff but couldn't cross) and Tesselaar linked up very well on the left - but we didn't need a leftback and I'm sure it would have been similar had Kelly played. Different story on the right, not much doing there until Teale came on for Brown. Caldwell looks like he might be handy and Plummer likes to get forward - was wandering about a bit at times which might be a bit costly!

Overall nothing to get too excited about and nothing to get too concerned about either. Just a friendly. Real stuff starts next week - and that would have been my approach had we won.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone cares, but Hasselbaink has signed for a Greek side, they finished 15th in the Greek league last season

Waste of a good talent. He could be a player if he listened to instructions and worked hard but unfortunately could do neither. Pity.

To be fair he was getting better the longer he was with us, its a shame he was let go.

Maybe he improved with you. For us he was a great unknown quantity. I was delighted when he signed for us as I had admired him when he was with the Accies. He could be a game changer but you could not play him every week as he did his own thing mostly and seemed to have a great problem passing to a team-mate. That being said he was exciting but his work-rate was poor and tracking back was not in his list of things to do on a football pitch. But there is very good player in there somewhere who may never realise his full potential.

Think Hasselbaink would benefit from playing with an experienced striker. He looked a better player at the end of his time with us than at the start and I think Thompson played a big part in that - although it could be because his contract was about to expire! Would imagine MacLean helped him a bit at St Johnstone too.

Thommo was saying at the family day that he'll definitely miss the opening two games of the season.

Seems his injury is not healing as quickly as first expected.

Worst case scenario is he misses the first 4, and returns after the international break.

Just aswell we have big Callum Ball in to deputise :)

Losing Thompson is a blow but not as bad as it would have been last season when our other attacking options were, at various points, Harkins, Bahoken, Magennis, Campbell, Reilly and, at a push, McGowan and Caprice.

Worst case scenario is he misses the first 4, and returns after the international break.

Just aswell we have big Callum Ball in to deputise :)

He was saying today that he'll miss Saturday and Accies midweek. Says the break (from the cancelled Aberdeen game) should give him time to recover for the Dundee game.

He was saying today that he'll miss Saturday and Accies midweek. Says the break (from the cancelled Aberdeen game) should give him time to recover for the Dundee game.

Probably explains why we took that option. At least we're not as fecked as last year with Bahokin not turning up.

Veria on loan, scored two goals in 15 appearances. If only we could have Isma back and work on his fitness. What a player he was in that loan spell.

I think that's who Hasselbaink has signed for too, funnily enough. He was an excellent player for us, scoring and setting up quite a few vital goals in his first 18 months and being a general game changer with moments of magic. His highlight was probably Rosenborg away, where he absolutely ripped their right back (who I think ended up being Costa Rica's first choice in that position at the world cup) apart. There was always a question mark against his fitness, rarely playing 90 minutes and he seemed to go off the boil after we brought in O'Halloran in January. He was a high earner and he left on the Monday after the cup final and was uncontactable, so was released.

Archived