The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean AberdeenBud?

I know pathetic, he's still posting on the Dundee thread asking when Stevenson is signing.

No, I meant you. The 'Ahm just asking an innocent question' pishy wind-up bollocks needs to stop. Especially when Standfree gets all needy and whinges when nobody responds to him. I think his mum didn't hug him enough. Or his dad hugged him too much, one of the two.

Anyway... Callum Ball. Bloody great signing. Considering I'd never heard of him this time last week, he has really impressed with his touch, finishing and awareness in two kickabout training games. He will be perfect back-up for Thommo. And maybe by the end of the season/next season, Thommo will be perfect back-up for him. :)

Really happy with Callum Ball signing. He's exactly the kind of player we need as another option for Sir Thommo.

It seems we are expecting another signing before the Carlisle game on friday.

Things are taking shape this pre season and looking forward to the new season.

Was there not talk of another centre back coming in on loan? Tall chap I believe?

Height obviously isn't everything, but I think we've lacked a bit of presence in that area recently and it's shown both defending and attacking set pieces.

Who knows how this new bunch of signings will gel with the decent core we kept from last season, but there's reason to be optimistic.

Ball certainly looks like he will play a big part for us next season. Thompson should be available for the Motherwell game, but I expect he won't be fit enough to start and that Ball will.

Still think our captain will be first choice for the majority of the season. Expect that Ball will start a fair few in his stead though, especially if we have 3 games in a week. Doing that and even Ball replacing Hawk for the last 20/30 minutes of games will mean Thompson will be effective for longer at this level. It will be good for Callum too, he's a young player and he will learn a lot from Thommo and could be his long term replacement.

I think that may be our last permanent signing. Hoping at least 2 more coming in on loan from the EPL though.

Ball is a big unit in the Yardley mould. Good. A Higdon type that hopefully bungs some into the net for us. and has opposition fans whining about him fouling their dainty , prancing c***s in pastel coloured shoes, centre halfs. Hope he is a sneaky b*****d with the elbows too.

We now have Thompson, Marwood, Campbell, Ball and Reilly as front men, with Teale and Wylde as wide men. We have retained the services of McGinn and McLean, secured Kello again, brought Tesselaar back, got Plummer on loan, and have promoted a few promising youth players into the first team picture.

I am feeling a lot happier about the way the club and manager are going about their business this summer. Hopefully erasing the memories of last summer's transfer window clusterfcuk.

This doesn't guarantee a good season lies ahead, but by Christ, our chances of having a good season are better!

Was there not talk of another centre back coming in on loan? Tall chap I believe?

Height obviously isn't everything, but I think we've lacked a bit of presence in that area recently and it's shown both defending and attacking set pieces.

Who knows how this new bunch of signings will gel with the decent core we kept from last season, but there's reason to be optimistic.

It isn't anything.

I've posted this before on this thread, and on pretty much every transfer thread for the last 5 years, we should be looking for good players, not tall players. It's sheer desperation to post a players height when talking about a new signing.

I would be very happy if we go for a 5"10 good defender, who is good in possession, will not be caught out by quick strikers, is good positionally and is an accurate tackler. Far better this than someone who can head the ball far out of play, and do nothing else. Height is becoming far less important in football around the world, Scotland is not exempt from this. Having tall players does not mean you either score or don't concede from set pieces, Puyol has scored from plenty of set pieces.

Ball seems a good signing, but that is predominantly based on his scoring during the trial period. He looks well out of shape, but if he scores he can get free pies at half time for all I care.

It isn't anything.

I've posted this before on this thread, and on pretty much every transfer thread for the last 5 years, we should be looking for good players, not tall players. It's sheer desperation to post a players height when talking about a new signing.

I would be very happy if we go for a 5"10 good defender, who is good in possession, will not be caught out by quick strikers, is good positionally and is an accurate tackler. Far better this than someone who can head the ball far out of play, and do nothing else. Height is becoming far less important in football around the world, Scotland is not exempt from this. Having tall players does not mean you either score or don't concede from set pieces, Puyol has scored from plenty of set pieces.

Ball seems a good signing, but that is predominantly based on his scoring during the trial period. He looks well out of shape, but if he scores he can get free pies at half time for all I care.

When talking about the type of players you should be looking for it's always best to make comparisons with Scottish Premiership level players like...Carlos Puyol.

When talking about the type of players you should be looking for it's always best to make comparisons with Scottish Premiership level players like...Carlos Puyol.

Yeah Supras is so wrapped up in the strange world of Misc Football he's sort of forgotten you can only afford limited players at this level, and defenders like the ones he talked about simply don't exist at this level.

Yeah Supras is so wrapped up in the strange world of Misc Football he's sort of forgotten you can only afford limited players at this level, and defenders like the ones he talked about simply don't exist at this level.

Correct.

And even the mighty Barcelona have had a problem or two over the last couple of seasons as opponents have found out that their lack of height gives them no plan B.

Of course normally their plan A is so good because their midgets are the best midgets in the world.

Archived