The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

I dunno if I'd want him back to be honest. He'd almost certainly not be as good as he was the first time around and that would probably ruin my memories of him - namely a cult hero who scored on his debut, helped us win a cup then buggered off.

I'd love to see what a fit and motivated Goncalves would so in the league. He was really good for us, but wasn't fit.

I still think we need someone else for centre defence for competition as well as cover.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see what a fit and motivated Goncalves would so in the league. He was really good for us, but wasn't fit.

I still think we need someone else for centre defence for competition as well as cover.

A fit and motivated Isma would be terrific but I don't think that's going to happen - he keeps getting punted out on loan by Rio Ave and one of the clubs he was sent to binned him because he was drinking and smoking too much! Seems he's out on loan until at least the end of 2014 anyway.

We need another centre half (ideally one who can cover at rightback), another striker and probably another few midfielders.

Goncalves is a free agent.

Had his contract at Rio Ave terminated during his loan spell at Veria, resulting in a termination of his loan deal, too.

First time I've potentially started a rumour but here goes; I saw who I am very sure was Alan Gow kicking about your Ralston training ground today.

Only contracted players were in today. Triallists arrive tomorrow.

Alan Gow jeez. I remember us being linked with him when he played for Airdrie about 10 years ago, and I think we have been every other season since then.

With MMcGowan gone McLean becomes the main man in the Saints midfiled, pulling all the strings. That will suit him right down to the ground and I reckon he will have a cracking season knowing that he will be the man everything goes through.

8 Months ago, but he looks terrible.

He must be absolute shite then.

I'll probably never go to another St Mirren game ever again now on the strength of that.

Glad you've alerted me to the fact that not even great players have bad games.

The squad list is still rather worrying when you look at it. 18 players, of which four are kids with a single sub appearance between them. On top of that you have Plummer and Reilly, who has hardly kicked a ball in the last 18 months.

Cheesy is the only really experienced player we have at the back (aside from putting Goodwin there). I'm all for playing youngsters but you need some older heads to help them out. We need another centre half anyway so hopefully it'll be someone with a bit of experience rather than a kid on loan. Someone like a Lee Mair (though not Lee Mair!) would be quite good - and ideally someone who can fill in at rightback if there are problems with Naismith.

Despite McLean staying we're still rather light in midfield as neither McGowan or Harkins have been replaced. Could probably do with someone to play on the right when there are any issues for Teale.

We also need another striker, regardless of how many we're playing up top, as we only have three at the moment. With Brady and Scullion away it seems Reilly is the only young striker we have in the first team squad - anyone know who else we have?

So, to sum up, we need at least three more players (ideally five) and preferably with a bit of experience. No need to panic just yet though - pre-season training has only just start, the first competitive game isn't for more than a month and it's nearly two months until the window shuts.

Despite McLean staying we're still rather light in midfield as neither McGowan or Harkins have been replaced. Could probably do with someone to play on the right when there are any issues for Teale.

I'm sure we could loan someone out to a didy team down south as a replacement.

Archived