The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Was just about to compare us to Falkirk. That "taking us to the next level" didn't exactly work well.

As much as it pains us, perhaps we need to be realistic and accept bottom half of the SPL and fighting relegation is our level without an influx of cash from somewhere.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd keep DVZ as a back up. Naismith is our number 1 choice and DVZ would be a decent back up.

Vanzy isn't even a decent back up anymore, his legs had gone by the end of last season and he's been awful every game he's played this season.

Well not really, not at all actually. Johnston had only managed a full time team in a part time for one season. Murray has managed a part time team in a full time league for a season and a half. He's took them from cut off at the bottom of the league when he took over to safety, and in his first full season they finished mid table and 1 place outside the playoff. He also took them to a Scottish Cup quarter final. His CV is far more impressive than Johnston's was, in my opinion.

I don't think their CV's are much different at all. Half a season more here or there doesn't make a difference. The fact that Murray has no experience of managing a team full time is not a good thing either. I agree Murray has done a decent enough job at Dumbarton, but thats all it is really… And IF at best, Murrays CV is slightly better, we're comparing him to a guy who has failed miserably this season. Hardly the benchmark we should be looking at.

I wouldn't get rid of Lennon for Murray. Coyle would be my shout. Whether we could get him or not would be another story though.

Was just about to compare us to Falkirk. That "taking us to the next level" didn't exactly work well.

As much as it pains us, perhaps we need to be realistic and accept bottom half of the SPL and fighting relegation is our level without an influx of cash from somewhere.

Ach it doesn't bother me that much, if we finished 6th fans would then be demanding European football. The state the club was in late 90's and the latter Hendrie/Coughlin years compared to now is light and day. We need top league football. It lets us run this fantastic youth policy. If we go down we need to make cut backs. From what I have heard the next 5-10 years we are going to produce some excellent players. Getting relegated could hamper that. We should realistically be aiming between 8th and 10th now the play-offs have been introduced. We will get relegated but i'd rather we are realistic about it and give diddies like Burton O'Brien ridiculous contracts.

Vanzy isn't even a decent back up anymore, his legs had gone by the end of last season and he's been awful every game he's played this season.

Suppose your right mate. I'm probably being too sentimental. Problem is finding someone who will be happy to sign as a back up. Unless we move Naismith in to CB next season. Or, now don't laugh, sign a versatile player like Jamie Hamill who can do a decent job in a few roles. Would try and get Paul McGinn back again.

Suppose your right mate. I'm probably being too sentimental. Problem is finding someone who will be happy to sign as a back up. Unless we move Naismith in to CB next season. Or, now don't laugh, sign a versatile player like Jamie Hamill who can do a decent job in a few roles. Would try and get Paul McGinn back again.

Fair enough, I did the same with Shuggie to be fair! Hamill's rotten to be honest aside from the odd screamer, Paul McGinn would be a great signing but there's probably not much chance of him coming back unless we do move Naismith to CB and he becomes the first choice right back.

Personally, I still think Danny's incredibly naive tactically considering he's developed this squad over four seasons now and I have no faith in him trying to rebuild in the summer when we'll likely lose a number of key players and continue to have the same lack of cover in key positions. People shouldn't forget what a dreadful start we had to this season. I was one of the last fans to call for his head this season but I won't be changing my mind as quickly as some of our more fickle fans either. I still think he should leave in the summer but I expect him to be given another contract.

Agreed. I thanks Danny for his efforts but it's time for a change.

Goodwin - YES 2 year deal but think he is on a pretty penny from his last negotiations, maybe not worth same wage anymore at 32

Thompson - His 1 year extension has kicked in now we are staying in SPFL as far as i know

McLean - YES whatever he would sign but probably be same situation as Gowser last year (minus the court case) and think will get better offer

Kello - YES 1 year would be disappointed if we couldn't afford him for another season

Dilo - 3-4 year deal please only saving grace from last summer signings

Van Zanten - No done sorry to say, good servant for us

McGregor - Yes 2 year deal

McGowan - yes 2 year deal I don't think he'll get a better offer after a poor season and the court case

Teale - 1 year player coach deal, understand he''s been helping the under 19s

Magennis (loan expiring) - Seen good things if he's available for free would offer him a deal if Aberdeen want a fee or even % next sale then would look elsewhere.

Campbell (loan expiring) - Thought he looked good but Lennon has ruined the chances of getting him next season

Newton (loan expiring) - If Newcastle don't want him offer him a 2-3 deal, can still see him developing as a good player (maybe not EPL standard though)

Djemba-Djemba - Must be having a laugh even having him in this list, I'd take him back with Bahoken maybe if we need a couple of cleaners next season. Absolute awful footballer.

Top six :lol:

"the next level" :lol:

Don't laugh,

You brought McInnes in and he managed to get you to the top 6.

You've now even won a trophy more recently than Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United, Saints, Kilmarnock, Livingston....

It can happen.

Another one that doesn't seem to understand the thread title. Are you all a bit simple?

Do you not think Danny Lennon should get a new contract? Seeing as he is your most successful manager in years?

No because it's about continual progression. We've been slowly moving forward under the last 2 managers.

MacPherson got us out the 1st Division and consolidated our position in the Premier league for a few years. Lennon took us another step forward by finishing higher up the league and winning a national trophy. Many fans now believe we need someone else to take us forward into the top 6.

Has anyone noticed the nutter on Twitter posting as SACK Danny Lennon? It's just a constant stream of seethe, tears and Bible quotes. I see Lee Mair's following him though. :lol:

Ha that's a fan formerly known as Turbo on twitter. He has some... Shall I say... Personal issues with Danny Lennon.

Had a good laugh at the current voting. More than 50% are backing Lennon to stay.

I can only assume there are some naughty wee boys who support other teams and want us to start next season with a handicap. Away you go you naughty wee boys. It's past your bedtime.

Give Lennon a new deal? FFS, that's the most stupid thing I've heard for ages.

Has anyone noticed the nutter on Twitter posting as SACK Danny Lennon? It's just a constant stream of seethe, tears and Bible quotes. I see Lee Mair's following him though. :lol:

Harkins as well. Which is even worse as he is till our player.

Clearly is that Turbo fellow...who obviously decided that is probably wasn't wise to post this stuff under his old twitter with his name and picture, so has hidden behind an alias. Although scrolling through his tweets he appears to be trying to deny its him. Pathetic.

Isn't he your most successful manager in many years? Why would you want to sack someone who has taken the club beyond where it should be?

I'm assuming you wanted Calderwood to stay at Aberdeen??

I was never in the 'Lennon out' camp, but I did think it would be best for all if he moved on in the summer. Now looking at it I'm not so sure. Levein and Coyle's names are being mentioned. Would either take the job? I have my doubts. The other names being mentioned don't get me that excited either. Ian Murray could turn out to be a great manager, but I'm not sure his credentials are much better than what Lennon's were.

That said, I don't know if I trust Lennon to rebuild the squad. His signings have been (by and large) terrible. Maybe that's not all down to him but he has to shoulder a lot of the blame. There's some talk of unrest in the dressing room, but who has ever worked in a job where everyone liked their boss? The players are professionals and I believe they would act professionally, any of those who don't can be shown the door before replacing the manager.

I'd be happy to see him stay, he seems like a great guy, has been willing to give youngsters a chance and as Standfree has said, is our most successful manager in years.

No St Mirren manager will be getting sacked this summer.

Almost to a man, his signings last year were complete failures. I wouldn't trust him with another rebuilding of the squad. Lennon has done a decent job and I would rather he left on a high. I'd prefer a more experienced manager like Levein or Coyle then again I'm not so sure either would take it.

Archived