The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we had him on loan. Think he made 2 or 3 appearances from the bench from January till the end of the season.

Basically brought in to keep our under-21 quota up after Stephen McGinn was sold. Heaven forbid bringing another kid onto the bench to make up the numbers like everyone else - far classier to name five or six subs instead.

Basically brought in to keep our under-21 quota up after Stephen McGinn was sold. Heaven forbid bringing another kid onto the bench to make up the numbers like everyone else - far classier to name five or six subs instead.

IIRC this was part of the feud between MacPherson & Longwell, the Youth Development coach - probably reason enough for sacking MacPherson although if we had won that game against that now defunct club then the decision might very well have gone the other way.

As for Lennon the decision has to be made now as to whether to give Lennon a new two year deal or replace him - the current thinking on B&WA of offering him a one year deal is really a guilty offer of make-up sex. :ass

As to the out of contract players (courtesy of Lex)

Goodwin - This is the tough call, on ability yes but with him being a marked man by the referees he no worth it if he's in the stand serving 3 suspensions next season, not so sure.

Thompson - Yes, yes and thrice yes!

McLean - Yes but he'll be off. :bairn

Kello - Maybe, but I wouldn't push the boat out for him.

Dilo - Definitely yes!

Van Zanten - No but he goes but with my best wishes.

McGregor - Maybe.

McGowan - As a top earner (according to rumours) no but I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed on a lower wage.

Teale - Sadly no, don't see the point in offering a player-coach role as that'sTommy Craig's position.

Magennis (loan expiring) - No.

Campbell (loan expiring) - Will be back at Newcastle.

Newton (loan expiring) - Yes

...........and now for the wildcard that is Gary Harkins - can't see a place for him if DL stays but with a change of manager might be a decent option if we let McGowan go - as will no doubt be mentioned a risky option with his attitude.

Arrivals - a new first choice CH and a utilty defender just to make up numbers in the squad, backup/cover for Thompson, defensive midfielder(s) to replace Campbell and Goodwin if either/both go.. We're reasonably well covered for attacking midfield options however if both Campbell & Teale go someone for the right wing.

The following first teamers are out of contract:

Goodwin

Thompson

McLean

Kello

Dilo

Van Zanten

McGregor

McGowan

Teale

Magennis (loan expiring)

Campbell (loan expiring)

Newton (loan expiring)

My thoughts on whether we should keep these players:

Goodwin - YES

Thompson - YES

McLean - YES - but presumably he'll be away

Kello - YES - if his wages aren't too high

Dilo - YES - would be happy with him as first choice if Kello leaves

Van Zanten - NO - done at this level

McGregor - YES - but only as a backup, we need an experienced player to partner McAusland as the back

McGowan - NO - doesn't deserve the high wages he's on and I doubt he'll take a big drop in them

Teale - YES - if his fitness is ok then keep him for another year

Magennis (loan expiring) - NO - decent option off the bench but not good enough to keep

Campbell (loan expiring) - NO - looked good but has barely featured

Newton (loan expiring) - NO - has been in good form the last few weeks but poor over the whole season, I don't rate him

Djemba-Djemba - GTFO

Thought the 1 year option on Thommo's contract kicked in weeks ago?

Part of the option was us remaining in the top flight, and as we have i expect he will sign this week. Thommo's already said we will be his last club, so he will either retire or sign up. He's definitely got 1 more year at least in him, so let's hope he fancies giving us another years service.

Unless McGowan drops his wage demands he should be binned. Big disappointment this season. Most important player to get tied down has to be McLean, unfortunately I think he will be off to bigger things down south and you can't blame him at all.

Is Harkins still here for next season? If we can tempt Oldham into parting with a nominal fee for him then we'll be laughing. Either way get him punted.

Harkins is still under contract yep. However i'm pretty sure he doesn't want to play for us again, and we don't want him either. He's doing well at Oldham so hopefully we can wring some kind of fee out of them, or send him back there on a season long loan.

As for Danny, i would like a decision to be made this week, so we know where we are going into the Hearts game. If his contract isn't getting renewed it would be fitting if we could give him a good send off in his last game.

Having given the matter a great deal of thought, I am now of the opinion that Danny has done enough to merit a new contract.

I'm not hugely confident that things will improve significantly with him remaining at the helm, but I genuinely cannot think of a realistic alternative option who would fill me with confidence.

He needs to learn from the signings debacle of this past season, and get what business needs to be done sorted out as early as possible.

We need to get things into perspective. We are a comparatively small, provincial club, with a limited core support base, and income. We should always be ambitious, and look to do better, but this has to be tempered with realism. The main aim should continue to be securing a top 6 finish. This is reasonable, as others in a similar bracket have managed it. I wouldn't be unhappy to see Danny given at least one more opportunity to achieve this.

From Twitter:-

1. Only 2 players currently offered deals to stay. Both will probably leave for new clubs. Should have been dealt with long ago.

2. With St Mirren now safe it will be interesting to see if Danny is offered a new deal. Lots of players out of contract & needs resolved soon

You can't really give senior players new deals when you aren't sure what league you're going to be in. Senior players wouldn't want to sign them either!

It's vital we move quickly in the summer window. If players aren't going to sign up we need to identify replacements and get them on board before pre season begins. Don't want us scrambling around at the last minute like we were last season.

My thoughts on whether we should keep these players:

Goodwin - YES

Thompson - YES

McLean - YES - but presumably he'll be away

Kello - YES - if his wages aren't too high

Dilo - YES - would be happy with him as first choice if Kello leaves

Van Zanten - NO - done at this level

McGregor - YES - but only as a backup, we need an experienced player to partner McAusland as the back

McGowan - NO - doesn't deserve the high wages he's on and I doubt he'll take a big drop in them

Teale - YES - if his fitness is ok then keep him for another year

Magennis (loan expiring) - NO - decent option off the bench but not good enough to keep

Campbell (loan expiring) - NO - looked good but has barely featured

Newton (loan expiring) - NO - has been in good form the last few weeks but poor over the whole season, I don't rate him

Djemba-Djemba - GTFO

I pretty much agree with this, but the players in bold would have to be on reduced terms to what they are just now, as we should really be looking to bring though replacements asap for the three of them.

The main thing going against Lennon is his transfer dealings, is it worth the risk of giving him another chance. He's not exactly had a great summer transfer window throughout his time with us, the turn over of players must be pretty high.

I pretty much agree with this, but the players in bold would have to be on reduced terms to what they are just now, as we should really be looking to bring though replacements asap for the three of them.

The main thing going against Lennon is his transfer dealings, is it worth the risk of giving him another chance. He's not exactly had a great summer transfer window throughout his time with us, the turn over of players must be pretty high.

This is the key thing for me.

League Cup win for the first time ever last year, and first of the bottom 6 safe this year, is pretty much over-achieving for a Saints boss.

However the biggest disappointment for most is that there’s a strong feeling that in the league we should be doing a whole lot better, and for me, the main reason for that has been Danny’s abject failure in the transfer market.

IMO there is at least one positive change this season – he’s absolutely not been afraid to admit (by action) when he’s screwed up.

High profile (high wage) failures punted as soon as possible, and when not possible (Djemba Djemba) not played. Panic loan signings not persevered with when it was clear they weren’t working out.

So I think he’s improved on half of the recruitment battle – don’t try to hide the fact you’ve made a mistake – deal with it, and deal with it quickly.

So that leaves the other half… can he learn from this year’s mistakes and have a better summer than last or previous ones?

My gut feel is that actually he can, and therefore despite the way I felt after the horrible performance at home to St Johnstone, I’d give him another contract.

On the flip side, he has been capable of bringing in one or two players that do make a difference, but last summer and the summer of Cowdenbeath was horrible. It's almost as if he ignored the glaring weaknesses in the team

On the flip side, he has been capable of bringing in one or two players that do make a difference, but last summer and the summer of Cowdenbeath was horrible. It's almost as if he ignored the glaring weaknesses in the team

Or didn't see them?

After all, in January he seemed to think we had too many centre halfs!

One thing about DL is he can sure develop a player. He said Kenny McLean will be a huge player for us this season , by fck he wasn't lying there.

I wouldn't be upset if he got a new deal. Delighted if he can turn it around because he is a really nice guy.

Just have a feeling a new board might want their own guy in.

If Lennon stays we can forget top 6 next season. He just doesn't have it in him to take us to that level.

For that you need consistency over a whole season. Lennon can't help himself make ridiculous substitutions at silly times in games and play players out of position in important games. Ultimately its this combined with his shocking signings this season that has seen us have a very poor year. Nowhere near the top 6 and done nothing in any of the cups.

If we can get someone like Coyle in I'd take him. None of the other names really excite me very much.

People are comparing our situation to Kilmarnock over the last few seasons while in the same sentence suggesting that we hire Murray. To me Murray is very similar to Johnston was this time last year. If anything Johnston had more credentials and look how thats turned out.

Personally, I still think Danny's incredibly naive tactically considering he's developed this squad over four seasons now and I have no faith in him trying to rebuild in the summer when we'll likely lose a number of key players and continue to have the same lack of cover in key positions. People shouldn't forget what a dreadful start we had to this season. I was one of the last fans to call for his head this season but I won't be changing my mind as quickly as some of our more fickle fans either. I still think he should leave in the summer but I expect him to be given another contract.

If Lennon stays we can forget top 6 next season. He just doesn't have it in him to take us to that level.

For that you need consistency over a whole season. Lennon can't help himself make ridiculous substitutions at silly times in games and play players out of position in important games. Ultimately its this combined with his shocking signings this season that has seen us have a very poor year. Nowhere near the top 6 and done nothing in any of the cups.

If we can

People are comparing our situation to Kilmarnock over the last few seasons while in the same sentence suggesting that we hire Murray. To me Murray is very similar to Johnston was this time last year. If anything Johnston had more credentials and look how thats turned out.

Well not really, not at all actually. Johnston had only managed a full time team in a part time for one season. Murray has managed a part time team in a full time league for a season and a half. He's took them from cut off at the bottom of the league when he took over to safety, and in his first full season they finished mid table and 1 place outside the playoff. He also took them to a Scottish Cup quarter final. His CV is far more impressive than Johnston's was, in my opinion.

I understand people who say he may a bit young and the job may be too big for him. He's just turned 33 and is younger than guys like Thompson and Teale. However we have a history of employing young managers from the lower leagues, and if we are going to go down that route again, Murray is really the only option.

One advantage of him going now is he leaves with his reputation intact. I like Danny as a person and I really do wish him well for whatever he goes onto next. He leaves as one of the most successful St Mirren managers of the SPL period. But at the same time I would like to see what he would do differently this summer. You'd think SURELY that he's learned from his mistakes.

So yea, If he stays good luck to him and here's hoping we can go onwards and upwards! We can't have a worse start than this season surely? If he goes then good luck to him, just don't go manage Killie or something...

Be careful what you wish for. Thats all the Falkirk fans on here went on about, they punted Hughes and haven't been back since. A club our size does not have the devine right to be top 6. Yes other clubs similar to us have managed it but others have pushed the boat out and have paid the price.

AJ managed a full time team in a part time league, yes they romped it but Ian Murray has achieved much more at Dumbarton.

I'm just glad I don't have to make the decision. Really stumped now whether or not DL should get a new deal. On the whole we have been awful this season. Squad management, man management and signings have been poor. The players have to take responsibility too and there must have been things going on behind the scene. Can't see him being kept on unless we get rid of most of the squad and he starts fresh.

I'd keep DVZ as a back up. Naismith is our number 1 choice and DVZ would be a decent back up. I'm sure he wouldn't be too dear to keep and could step in for 10 games or so if required.

Archived