The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darren McGregor, was released by Cowdenbeath and went Arniston Rangers for a few years. He improved there, and went back to Cowdenbeath.

I used to watch junior football from time to time (mostly Johnstone Burgh), and as has been said, there are some good players.

For what it's worth I didn't think McGinty was as bad as some people are making out. He was ok with the ball at his feet, and could take a man on. His goal scoring record, admittedly, was pathetic.

Darren McGregor, was released by Cowdenbeath and went Arniston Rangers for a few years. He improved there, and went back to Cowdenbeath.

I used to watch junior football from time to time (mostly Johnstone Burgh), and as has been said, there are some good players.

For what it's worth I didn't think McGinty was as bad as some people are making out. He was ok with the ball at his feet, and could take a man on. His goal scoring record, admittedly, was pathetic.

I think his hat-trick against St Johnstone was one of the funniest things I've ever seen , came out of nowhere!

He tried hard, had a couple of games where he was unplayable. When he first joined he scored something like 5 goals in 6 games and we all thought he could be the signing of the century, then he scored about 1 goal after that apart from his hat trick.

If every player that played for us had his attitude we'd be much better off over the years. He wasn't a wage thief like a few players, especially in that era.

Brian McGinty was a horrendous footballer, the only memories I have of him were scoring in Ricky Gillies' testimonial and hitting me with a shot while I was sat in the main stand.

Shite.

When I was best man for my mate, as a thank you he got me a signed Saints shirt of a certain vintage.

Fair took the shine off it when I realised one of the many signatures was McGinty's!

That particular vintage has turned to vinegar...

I think his hat-trick against St Johnstone was one of the funniest things I've ever seen , came out of nowhere!

He tried hard, had a couple of games where he was unplayable. When he first joined he scored something like 5 goals in 6 games and we all thought he could be the signing of the century, then he scored about 1 goal after that apart from his hat trick.

If every player that played for us had his attitude we'd be much better off over the years. He wasn't a wage thief like a few players, especially in that era.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. His goal scoring record probably isn't much worse than Billy Mehmet's, or Steven McGarry's, come to think of it.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. His goal scoring record probably isn't much worse than Billy Mehmet's, or Steven McGarry's, come to think of it.

he used to everything but score but he had great pace and stamina, like many other saints strikers he didn't have a great goal return. I liked McGinty but he was part of an incredibly shite saints team.

McGinty was a trier, as was Gareth Wardlaw, and indeed Billy Mehmet. A lot is sometimes made of Scottish fans liking a guy who will run around like a headless chicken, while a 'sand-dancer' like, erm, Gary Harkins, while undoubtably talented, gets abuse.

I disagree in the cases of McGinty and Wardlaw certainly. They never hid, made the most of their talent and I swear, I have seen some shite in the stripes in my time, but guys like that did their best and did us a wee turn.

No, I think you're thinking of Bob Davidson. A god amongst men.

I remember Bob Davidson scoring a 25 yard worldy right in front of the Derry. The majority of the rest of his time at Dens was spent on his arse on the turf.

All this talk of shite forwards reminds me of one long forgotten in the mists of time. Robert Dunn, anyone?

I'll see your Robert Dunn and raise you a Steve Galloway (late 80's loanee from some Swedish club) absolute pish.

i'll save Alex Bone for when the stakes get higher....

All this talk of shite forwards reminds me of one long forgotten in the mists of time. Robert Dunn, anyone?

I'm almost certain it was Dunn who, in a game against Raith with the scores even, late in the game, refused to give Rovers the ball back. Play had been stopped for yet another of their players rolling about on the turf.

He then proceeded to put in a great cross for Gillies to score a late winner. This was in the early days of P&B and the term 'heads gone' wasn't really about, but there were a few Rovers fans falling into that category. I'm sure there used to be, might still be, a Raith poster called 'P&B is a disgrace', which comes from that fateful day.

For this reason I will always have a fondness for Robert Dunn.

Unless, of course it wasnt actually Dunn, and my memory is playing tricks. And in that case, you would be right, that he was fucking rubbish.

I'm almost certain it was Dunn who, in a game against Raith with the scores even, late in the game, refused to give Rovers the ball back. Play had been stopped for yet another of their players rolling about on the turf.

He then proceeded to put in a great cross for Gillies to score a late winner. This was in the early days of P&B and the term 'heads gone' wasn't really about, but there were a few Rovers fans falling into that category. I'm sure there used to be, might still be, a Raith poster called 'P&B is a disgrace', which comes from that fateful day.

For this reason I will always have a fondness for Robert Dunn.

Unless, of course it wasnt actually Dunn, and my memory is playing tricks. And in that case, you would be right, that he was fucking rubbish.

I remember that happening, I'm not sure who the perpetrator of such a phenomenal bit of trolling was though.

Steve Galloway was a bit before my time....was he a tall black guy though? But Alex Bone....FFS prov.

Archived