The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

We didn't really have much choice in the summer, sign up McLean with a release clause or not have him at all and he probably wouldn't have been signed by anyone and could have been frozen out the game, wouldn't have been fair on Kenny and might have been rather ugly. We maybe could have bargained with the release clause to be a bit higher but our hands were pretty much tied.

The money will be used to pay off TC and his shit fest signings which the board have to take the blame for.

McLean will have been one of the highest paid players so I'm hoping we will see at least 1 more player in considering we were already in the market for another player.

We'll just need to get behind the players we have now, even guys like Wylde.

I haven't heard any Saints fans criticise Kenny for joining a rival Scottish club, but this whole thing about the situation being what it was, no choice, nothing we could do.... McLean simply had to go for 250k-ish. How did we end up like that in the first place, when Accies rub their hands on big tasty cheques when they sell their talent?

Either St Mirren's BoD and general manager are fcuking things up - Accies are smart and organised - or Kenny McLean is nothing special and is actually only worth 250k.

Note, I don't think it's the last option.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard any Saints fans criticise Kenny for joining a rival Scottish club, but this whole thing about the situation being what it was, no choice, nothing we could do.... McLean simply had to go for 250k-ish. How did we end up like that in the first place, when Accies rub their hands on big tasty cheques when they sell their talent? Either St Mirren's BoD and general manager are fcuking things up - Accies are smart and organised - or Kenny McLean is nothing special and is actually only worth 250k. Note, I don't think it's the last option.

Yep totally agree.

We don't seem to play hard ball very well. The club just wanting to re-coup the development fee was short sighted, given the hindsight.

Obviously, McLean has said he'll only re-sign if there was a release clause of X amount. Your board either accept that and have a terrific player for what's turned out to be 6 months, or he walks away. Imagine just how bad off you'd have been without him this season..

Well we're about to find out....

If the transfer was done, or even known, on Saturday (or some other day that wasn't the final day of the transfer window) then it would've been a little easier to take as we would have ample time to bring in a decent replacement. As it is, most players who had clubs had already moved (or were in the process of doing so) and we've been left looking at unattached players once again.

It's also slightly annoying that the fans never knew that the game against Partick would be McLean's final outing as a buddie and so didn't really get a chance to sound our appreciation for his efforts.

Motherwell in relegation battle - bring in 7 new players

St Mirren in relegation battle - sell their best player.

You boys are fucked.

Whilst I would rather be in our position to bring fresh players in there is no guarantee that they will deliver. Time will tell, however, I am more hopeful about our chances of survival than I have ever been this season.

We didn't really have much choice in the summer, sign up McLean with a release clause or not have him at all and he probably wouldn't have been signed by anyone and could have been frozen out the game, wouldn't have been fair on Kenny and might have been rather ugly.

Listen, I like McLean and hope he does brilliantly well for the rest of his career, but why the f**k should we be concerned about what's fair? f**k that.

In the summer, we made a lazy decision. Simple as that. Couldn't be arsed with any hassle, take the easy way out. It's how our club is run now and it's why we're going down.

In the summer, we made a lazy decision. Simple as that. Couldn't be arsed with any hassle, take the easy way out. It's how our club is run now and it's why we're going down.

Really difficult to argue with this point of view now.

This transfer will harm us more now than it would have done at the start of the season both financially and on the park imo.

Nah. If he'd gone in the summer Craig would have been the one trying to find a replacement - who Teale would then have binned.

If no one was willing to pay his development fee last summer we must be the worst negotiators in the world by only lobbing 50k on top of it for his release clause in a new contract.

Ridiculous, partly explains Rotherham's low bid as well.

Listen, I like McLean and hope he does brilliantly well for the rest of his career, but why the f**k should we be concerned about what's fair? f**k that.

Yeah cant argue with that.

You're welcome. Now be nice to him and use him properly. Oh, and only use encouraging words. Remember he's come from St Mirren so is only accustomed to positivity from the crowd.

He certainly wasn't the target for boo boys as recently as 12 months ago.

Thank you to st Mirren for selling us your best player for a fraction of his valuation. It really was very kind of you.

You better hope he doesn't do a Ricky Gillis and end up back with us, after fleecing you lot for the money and coming back to us for hee haw.

Two of the players we brought in were originally going to St Mirren. One was Conor Grant who had been sounded out prior to the Maclean deal going through and we only managed to get him due to offering Everton a higher percentage of his wages. The other was Nathan Thomas who was released earlier in the day by Plymouth, we made our move after another deal we were due to complete hit the skids.

Two of the players we brought in were originally going to St Mirren. One was Conor Grant who had been sounded out prior to the Maclean deal going through and we only managed to get him due to offering Everton a higher percentage of his wages. The other was Nathan Thomas who was released earlier in the day by Plymouth, we made our move after another deal we were due to complete hit the skids.

Sounds like GT tried his best, all we can ask really. We aren't an attractive option for players to come to just now.

We'll just have to run the risk on free agents, not great but hopefully there are some gems out there. The longer it goes for the better free agents without a club the better chance we have of securing even a short term deal till the end of the season. Got faith in GT, seems to be going after the right kind of player.

Archived