The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoever negotiated his contract in the first place is an absolute moron then, particularly if it's only £300k.

Not necessarily. McLean decided to stay at St Mirren when he could have gone to England. St Mirren wanted to keep him but the player had more bargaining power than the club - his agent wouldn't have accepted a release clause that was unreasonable.

P&J reporting he's off for his medical, he wouldn't be doing that if he wasn't signing.

WTF is going on? I just went searching through for my "£300k and McLean will be gone" post from last week and it's gone.

Sergies "£700k plus add-ons" post, then mine, followed by an Obama smug face would've been beautiful.

post-25521-0-15071700-1422879079_thumb.j

WTF is going on? I just went searching through for my "£300k and McLean will be gone" post from last week and it's gone.

Sergies "£700k plus add-ons" post, then mine, followed by an Obama smug face would've been beautiful.

attachicon.giftumblr_mcu55xgkas1rk5d6vo1_.jpg

Kick a man when he's down :(.

Would be disappointed to see him go to Aberdeen as a neutral. Hope he shows some ambition and goes south if he is going to leave, unlike Shinnie.

That being said, would be some coup for Aberdeen.

LOL - are you for real? Actually?

The low release clause was maybe down to the 2 year deal. Who knows.

Exactly. I think that's what Ludo is failing to grasp. Pretty hard to have a go at the club if the choice was between him leaving last summer or signing a new contract with this clause.

AberdeenBud, on 02 Feb 2015 - 12:32, said:

Exactly. I think that's what Ludo is failing to grasp. Pretty hard to have a go at the club if the choice was between him leaving last summer or signing a new contract with this clause.

Really? If you'd accepted he was off then you'd have netted your £250k and been in a position to replace him. Now as it is, you're getting around £50k more, he's by far your best CM and he's leaving you when you have literally no chance to replace him whilst stuck in a mire of a relegation battle.

It's hardly the greatest of deals for the club, is it?

Really? If you'd accepted he was off then you'd have netted your £250k and been in a position to replace him. Now as it is, you're getting around £50k more, he's by far your best CM and he's leaving you when you have literally no chance to replace him whilst stuck in a mire of a relegation battle.

It's not ideal, but it's an extra £50k, and we've had him for half a season where he has been invaluable.

I would have rather had him for the last 6 months than not.

No, it's not worked out great I agree.

But there was always the chance we could've gotten a full season out of him and any replacement wasn't likely to have been to his standard anyway.

I dread to think were we'd be just now if we hadn't had him this season.

Archived