The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland's third best youth academy sounds pretty awful TBH.

12 of the 18 players in the squad that managed a draw away to the Famous Aberdeen were products of our pretty awful youth system.

What are the facts then?

I don't know. There is some speculation in this thread if you can be arsed to filter through all the typical Black and White Army digs and in-fighting:

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/38900-youngster-in-contract-dispute/

From what I can put together, it seems he was on a standard contract (which he and his parents will have signed) and he's now bumping his gums because we're not letting him just walk away from that contract, presumably to attempt to sign for a different club.

If there is a perceived injustice occurring here, it's not just St Mirren and it's certainly not just Kieran Doran involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Genuine question, how do st Mirren fans feel about presumably one of your top earners spending more time on sportscene than the pitch and, you would imagine, essentially drawing a 2nd wage despite being unable to fulfil his main job role?

Genuine question, how do st Mirren fans feel about presumably one of your top earners spending more time on sportscene than the pitch and, you would imagine, essentially drawing a 2nd wage despite being unable to fulfil his main job role?

Doesn't bother me. If he's injured he's injured, being on Sportscene doesn't change anything. Means we get to see him more too :wub:

The guy gives his all to St Mirren but he is injured. Great to see him indirectly representing the club on national TV :) . Good on him.

Over the last few seasons we have had loads of injured (or rubbish) players who were taking and giving nothing back. Thommo does not fall into that category.

I'm raging about it because Jonathan Sutherland caused the initial injury by tripping him up for some "banter". By continually appearing the programme he is only increasing the risk it could happen again. His contract should be terminated immediately for this unprofessional behaviour.

Re the wage thing, I think it's been established that Thommo could have played elsewhere and earned more money in the time he's been at St Mirren - during which time, it's no coincidence that we've stayed in the top flight and won a trophy. I don't think there's anyone related to SMFC who would begrudge him the chance to earn a spot of extra cash, (while also helping to raise the profile of the club) in a way that doesn't affect his on-field performances.

Re the wage thing, I think it's been established that Thommo could have played elsewhere and earned more money in the time he's been at St Mirren - during which time, it's no coincidence that we've stayed in the top flight and won a trophy. I don't think there's anyone related to SMFC who would begrudge him the chance to earn a spot of extra cash, (while also helping to raise the profile of the club) in a way that doesn't affect his on-field performances.

100% this.

I'm raging about it because Jonathan Sutherland caused the initial injury by tripping him up for some "banter". By continually appearing the programme he is only increasing the risk it could happen again. His contract should be terminated immediately for this unprofessional behaviour.

Haha, more chance of getting a rap in the puss from his ecto eyes than a banterful trip up.

I think Thommo is one of the better people on the show and has some good insights but he is almost becoming a regular presenter now and I just wondered if it was becoming a concern that he seems to offer more to the bbc than st. Mirren currently.

I probably underestimated the good feeling the fans have towards him and it's actually quite refreshing! Dundee love a perma crock as much as st Mirren and if various characters in our past had been indulging in extra curriculars whilst offering nothing id be raging. That said if it was a Gavin Rae or Rab Douglas id probably let it go and I guess that's where the saints fans are with Thommo.

Fuckin scumbag. No doubt hell be out in 5 or 6 years

I followed the trial a little and both 'defences', the first being that Simon was in fact trying to trying to rob the perpetrator and then claiming diminished responsibility due to Aspergers were both disgraceful tactics.

My partner knew Simon, his mother and their family quite well and I know of a few guys on here who were friends with him. I'm relieved justice has been done and his family at least have some closure from this.

A group of businessmen from Holland and Kuwait close to buying the club according to The Sun :lol:

Looking forward to this happening next time Celtic get a dodgy decision against us.

Anyone got any more info on this takeover? Makes me nervous that guys with no ties to the club are wanting to buy us. In saying that, I genuinely believe SG and co will ensure (the best they can) that the clubs long term interests are looked after

Anyone got any more info on this takeover? Makes me nervous that guys with no ties to the club are wanting to buy us. In saying that, I genuinely believe SG and co will ensure (the best they can) that the clubs long term interests are looked after

Chick Young effectively said it was nonsense. Dutch interest weeks ago but nothing more than that. Negotiations with others ongoing, blah blah etc.

Up to you whether you believe Chick Young or The Sun.

Archived