The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

Great news. If this kid is half as good as Plummer he will be a huge asset for us this season.

It's tremendous credit to the structure of our club and the facilities we have that Man City are sending us their young players.

I know Man City had a couple of friendlies up here earlier in the year, we couldn't host them because we had work getting done to our ground.

I assume the clubs that did play them (Hearts, Dundee... One other?) heavily lobbied them for loan players. If they didn't they are doing it wrong.

Despite of this lobbying, they haven't gave them any and they've gave us two. Really shows what a good name we and our facilities have down in England.

Don't think this will be our last EPL loanee this season either. Alan Pardew and Newcastle United are another big English club who are fans of the way we do things. Pardew normally likes to wait until the end of the window before letting his players go out on loan though. I think we will get at least one from them before the start of September.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mouth-breathers on Facebook are saying McGinn has rejected the contract, any know if this is true?

Was in the PDX today. If he does leave under freedom of contract in May then we will be due a substantial development fee, he's been with us since he was 8 years old.

Mouth breathers is right. I had to 'hide' the St Mirren Fans updates from my feed. Scary stuff, tbh.

The people on there are embarrassing. Either shite jokes or looking for mob lynchings of everyone at the club.

He should fit right in with the Under 12's side.

New mate for Reilly.

I hope he gives us a decent option on the right of midfield, it will be novel having a St.Mirren team that actually has width, instead of a converted centre mid told to play out wide.

I assume the clubs that did play them (Hearts, Dundee... One other?) heavily lobbied them for loan players. If they didn't they are doing it wrong.

Despite of this lobbying, they haven't gave them any and they've gave us two.

I would see absolutely no point in us loaning young players when we have an abundance of our own talent coming through.

I seem to remember Ryan McGivern was loaned from Man City to Hibernian and he was BRILLIANT.

It's got f**k all to do with structure or facilities, it's because you're a bawhair from the airport so they can go home whenever they like :lol:

The young players really care about the facilities and structure of a football club, StandFree03. It's what they often ponder whilst eating their Nandos.

I would see absolutely no point in us loaning young players when we have an abundance of our own talent coming through.I seem to remember Ryan McGivern was loaned from Man City to Hibernian and he was BRILLIANT.

So, you're saying Hearts are too good to loan players from Man City? Fine by us :lol: ... Also, if you're going to cite one of the failures, why not cite one of the several successful EPL loans?

It's got f**k all to do with structure or facilities, it's because you're a bawhair from the airport so they can go home whenever they like :lol:

I don't think I've ever heard of one of the players flying home :lol: They all drive for goodness sake, it's not that far. It's very much to do with the structure, Man City said as much when they seen our training facilities. They said they were impressed and they were going to send us more players up, and they have.

The young players really care about the facilities and structure of a football club, StandFree03. It's what they often ponder whilst eating their Nandos.

I think the young players just go where they're told tbh. I suspect most of them had barely heard of St Mirren before they signed.

You've never heard of a player taking a flight to go to back to their hometown? :huh:

Still, at least you're happy that these loan players are stopping your own players coming through from the "third best youth academy in the country".

Not from us no, it's a 3 hour drive. To suggest they're coming because the airport is clearly nonsense.

And as we've already shown, our best young players will come through and play along side our young loan players.

Dundee didn't try to loan any of their young players lex. Not sure about hearts.

Why not? Several Dundee fans said they wanted to try build links with Man City and get some loans.

Still, at least you're happy that these loan players are stopping your own players coming through from the "third best youth academy in the country".

10 of our current first team squad are Academy players with 5 of them playing every week. The loan players supplement the squad assuming they are good enough :)

You don't have any of your own defenders or midfielders to develop? Are things really that bad?

We don't have a ready made centre back or right winger yet. If we did they would be getting a chance.

I don't see the harm in these type of loan deals, it's the same as signing someone on a 1 year deal anyway.

You run the risk when you sign experienced guys like Harkins and Granger, both back fired for us. At least with these young boys, they'll come here wanting to prove themselves. Can't see them causing havoc in the dressing room either.

Of course it is. 3 or 4 hours driving or a short plane trip where you can relax? No brainer.

So instead of having your own youth players learn from experienced pros you'll have them learn from someone else's youth players?

:lol:

You still banging on about the airport being a factor? :lol: Tell Adam Drury he should have flown then, he drove up to Scotland last week.

You're trying way too hard here. St Mirren had 3 current first team players from our academy in the match day squad of the last Scotland u21 game. Aberdeen had.... 0.

When it comes to youth development it seems we are getting it right and you are getting it wrong. Why?

I'd imagine it's a combination of:

• The success of the Newcastle loan boys - who arrived because of Tommy Craig(?).
  • The fact that St. Mirren give game time to youngsters.
  • The training facilities.
  • The airport.
  • Fury's.

Archived