The Famous Aberdeen's European Tour 2014/15

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Was gutted by the two late goals. We've been knocked out by vastly superior opposition, but the players deserved a win on the night for the effort and intensity they put in. My only slight gripes were that unlike in the first leg, where they caused us constant problems because they were hideously good, last night a lot of the trouble was of our own making. Also it was a bit disappointing to see so many leave when they scored. The team deserved to be shown some appreciation at the end by everyone. Still, we competed about as well as anyone could reasonably hope for, and held our own against a team that are comfortably better than the Polish lot that humiliated Celtic.

One of my abiding memories from last night (other than the pandemonium that greeted Reynolds goal) was that 80 minutes into the 2nd leg of a European tie we had a La Liga team being forced to time-waste against us. That's says a lot for how well we did.

Had a quick peek at a Sociedad fans forum (courtesy of google translate), and they all seemed extremely impressed by Logan. Also saw this bit:

"On the other hand, a great pleasure to play in these places still is respected football and soccer player. Finish the game, and have lost everyone on their feet applauding both teams, players greeting each period."

:)

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Agree with most of the above, cracking game for the neutral and The Sheep did themselves proud apart from a few individual errors.

Sociedad were 100% rattled when the Reynolds goal went in. Scenes.

Probably pie in the sky but watching their respective European performances I really hope Aberdeen can put a bit of pressure on Celtc in the league.

Oh, and Canales when he came on. :wub:

Entertaining game and didn't disgrace ourselves against opposition that was far better than us. Also worth giving a wee mention to the Sociedad fans, not just waving their flags but being friendly and welcoming both home and away. Puts that Groningen mob to shame.

Delighted to see us go out there and have a go. As stated earlier, if 2-1 had been enough for us I think we'd have been able to hold on for the win but we needed more goals so no surprise that we were caught out and punished by them which led to a heavy aggregate scoreline. But I'd take the the 5-2 aggregate score and see us go out swinging at home every day than, say, lose 2-0 on aggregate having had a stale 0-0 last night.

I thought Goodwillie looked good leading the line, held it up well and a few clever first touches that, against lesser teams, would have led to chances.

We know we can counter and score goals against opposition who come out and play, the only unanswered question is still how we will fare against a team who sit in and defend. There was a struggle to break a team down last season every time we came up against a parked bus, I hope its something that has been worked on

Vuvuzelas are the devil

We currently have a coefficient of 4.205 for next seasons European campaign

This season we had a coefficient of 4.313

The seeded team in the 2nd qualifying round with the least points was Shakhtior Saligorsk with 5.225

So like it or not we need Celtic to qualify for the champions league to hopefully get seeded for the 2nd round next year if we qualify

We need to build on what we have done this year to aviod these hard games. We can only do that by constantly qualifying for Europe

We currently have a coefficient of 4.205 for next seasons European campaign

This season we had a coefficient of 4.313

The seeded team in the 2nd qualifying round with the least points was Shakhtior Saligorsk with 5.225

So like it or not we need Celtic to qualify for the champions league to hopefully get seeded for the 2nd round next year if we qualify

We need to build on what we have done this year to aviod these hard games. We can only do that by constantly qualifying for Europe

If they lose they go into Europa League where they will likely pick up more coefficient points than they would getting pumped in CL. Plus there is the bonus of them not getting £10m+

If they qualify for the Champions league they get the 4 bonus points which is need for us to roughly have enough points be a seeded team for the 2nd round

We are not going to catch them in the league this year and next year if Rangers get back then will be even harder. Only way we will have a chance is by building our club and not worry about them being weaker

Building out points in Europe and trying to get further gets more money into the club which helps build the club

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived