The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birnstigl our former youth keeper from a few year back? Take it he was awful?

He only played once, came on at half time in our cup game against Albion Rovers and was at fault for their equaliser late on, I thought he was ok for the rest of the game but not too bothered we didn't keep him on.

Surely Kettlewell is of too high a standard to drop down to third tier and play part time football for peanuts?

He could certainly do a job in the First Division but the teams capable of taking him on have more than likely already allocated their budget elsewhere. Not even sure if he's fit yet but he's relatively local, being a Cumbernauld boy, and a short term deal might be a good opportunity to put himself back in the shop window. Would be a great signing for Airdrie if it came to pass.

He could certainly do a job in the First Division but the teams capable of taking him on have more than likely already allocated their budget elsewhere. Not even sure if he's fit yet but he's relatively local, being a Cumbernauld boy, and a short term deal might be a good opportunity to put himself back in the shop window. Would be a great signing for Airdrie if it came to pass.

I'm pretty sure Kettlewell's family are settled in Inverness, which rules out a move to the majority of central-based clubs. There's been talk of him joining Brora Rangers, a level he's far too good to be playing at.

I'm pretty sure Kettlewell's family are settled in Inverness, which rules out a move to the majority of central-based clubs. There's been talk of him joining Brora Rangers, a level he's far too good to be playing at.

I've heard this too but he's going to significantly restrict himself if he isn't willing to travel unless he's happy to see out his playing days in the Highland League which would be a great shame. Travelling down for training once a week (provided Bollan was happy enough with that arrangement), staying with family nearby - it's doable. What is possibly more likely to rule it out is playing on a plastic surface what with his ongoing hip problem.

Dyou think with Gasparotto signing we'll go back to a similar setup to last year with two defensive players sitting in the middle of midfield (like McCormack and Barr last year)?

If so I imagine the team would setup like:

McNeil;

O'Neill, Gasparotto, Rico-Everton, P.Boyle;

Bain, Proctor, Fitzpatrick, Watt (even though I hate him playing out wide);

Lister, Prunty;

For me Fitzpatrick's one of the best passers of the ball in the squad which is why he's in there instead of Blockley who, although he's a good ball-winning midfielder, quite frankly can't pass to Airdrie player to save his life! Think Proctor could be solid in front of the centre-backs as his positional sense and ability on the ball allow him to be the link between the defenders and the attackers.

Dyou think with Gasparotto signing we'll go back to a similar setup to last year with two defensive players sitting in the middle of midfield (like McCormack and Barr last year)?

If so I imagine the team would setup like:

McNeil;

O'Neill, Gasparotto, Rico-Everton, P.Boyle;

Bain, Proctor, Fitzpatrick, Watt (even though I hate him playing out wide);

Lister, Prunty;

For me Fitzpatrick's one of the best passers of the ball in the squad which is why he's in there instead of Blockley who, although he's a good ball-winning midfielder, quite frankly can't pass to Airdrie player to save his life! Think Proctor could be solid in front of the centre-backs as his positional sense and ability on the ball allow him to be the link between the defenders and the attackers.

Sorry, my contacts must be fucked. Am I reading here that you think Proctor has good positional sense and ability on the ball?

From what I've seen of him, he's been caught out for position and pace several times and is worse than Blockley in terms of distribution. What McCormack did was work very hard in front of the back four and his fitness and strength made him an asset in that position. He was shite anywhere along the back line but did well there. Proctor on the other hand doesn't look fit or quick enough for that role and I genuinely think he's not got the vision either. It's a shame Blockley isn't capable of holding shape because he's tailor made for that role in front of the back four.

Fitzpatrick is certainly no Craig Barr either.

Disagree about Watt being wide also. He's fine played wide, although his final ball needs work.

Only seen Proctor once of twice but though he looked pretty good in terms of knowing what he'd to do and when. Granted Fitzpatrick is no Craig Barr but in my opinion He is better at centre mid than he is at centre half and as I said his passing is pretty good. I wasn't saying Watt's done anything wrong when played out wide, I just think he's been the best player on the park for us when in the middle and his tireless running is wasted on the wing.

Archived