The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been at either of the cup games but it's obvious that we need to make some changes to the team. Think Wilson should be given a start to provide some height at the back and he's also a proper centre - half while Fitzpatrick isn't.

Would also drop Hammill, move Watt into the middle and play Cadden and Gray on the wing to provide a threat out wide. We have two big strikers in Lister and Kirwan and a handful of smaller strikers to play off them so having players with good crossing ability is important. Our threat out wide was also a large part of our success last season.

Think we're strong upfront and have different options in Lister/Kirwan and Boyle, Coogans and Parker.

Next week I'd line up with something along the lines of:

McNeil/Birnstingl

Bain Proctor Wilson Boyle

Gray Blockley Watt Cadden

Lister Parker

Not convinced by either goalie tbh.

The line-up today was a joke and Bollan has to take the blame for that. Hamill and Blockley in the middle with Watt and Stewart. How he planned to create anything with that midfield is beyond me. Watt, Blockley and Stewart are all essentially the same in that they will work all day but have no ability. They literally struggle to pass the ball 10 yards to a player's feet. Having one of those playing is fine if they are given a 'worker' role, 2 is pushing it and all 3 is taking the piss. Add Hamill into that mix and it's utterly hopeless. Gray set up both goals last week, was dropped and then sets up the goal today when he comes on. We are never going to pass through teams so getting it wide is our only hope. I'd drop Parker and play Boyle off Lister/Kirwan. Although in all honesty I'd probably just go 4-5-1 next week, if we are going to shitfest then lets do it properly.

I'd probably go 4-5-1 next week as well, far too big a gap in our midfield between Hamill and Blockley. Not sure who I'd play in that midfield though, can Fitzpatrick play in there? I'd be tempted to move him into a holding role similar to the one McCormack played last season and have Watt and Blockley in beside him and Gray and Cadden out wide, with Wilson coming into the defence.

Hello there. I have been trying to write short season previews for every Scottish team for my football blog. I have started League One today and just finished previews for Airdrieonians and Ayr United. It would be great if some fans gave them a read and also please do tell me if there are any errors! Also any feedback or criticisms are warmly welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Link

Hello there. I have been trying to write short season previews for every Scottish team for my football blog. I have started League One today and just finished previews for Airdrieonians and Ayr United. It would be great if some fans gave them a read and also please do tell me if there are any errors! Also any feedback or criticisms are warmly welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Link

Excellent. Except there's not a chance we'll finish 4th!

Thanks in advance!

Link

A good review. Cheers!!

As for Procter - he has really not impressed since returning. On paper he looks a good signing but has been awful in the past 2 cup games (although so has pretty much everyone).

Lets hope Bollan can change it around for the league games as the team have given him plenty to work on the past 2 weeks. I was optimistic and predicted Airdrie to finish 4th at the start of the season and I'm sticking with that prediction as I believe we will improve on league duty giving the team time to gel together and work on weaknesses.

Forget Adam, McNeill is the number 1. What bollan has done is buy himself a month to get a back up keeper - be that Birstingl who now has a month to prove he's worthy of a longer deal or someone else.

Forget Adam, McNeill is the number 1. What bollan has done is buy himself a month to get a back up keeper - be that Birstingl who now has a month to prove he's worthy of a longer deal or someone else.

Birstingl is a joke of a goalie cant kick worth a feck and has no build about him.

Archived