The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointed but not surprised by today's game and result.

More quality needed throughout the team especially midfield would've said that if we had won.

Took us until January last season to realise we needed more quality hopefully we do something about it now.

The keepers kicking was terrible when he received a back pass and was at total fault for their second goal however can't blame the boy for the penalties. He looked ok kicking dead balls.

Anyway having said that look at last season we beat Hamilton and look where both our seasons went. Hopefully this is just a wake up call and we respond next week.

Disappointed but not surprised by today's game and result.

More quality needed throughout the team especially midfield would've said that if we had won.

Took us until January last season to realise we needed more quality hopefully we do something about it now.

The keepers kicking was terrible when he received a back pass and was at total fault for their second goal however can't blame the boy for the penalties. He looked ok kicking dead balls.

Anyway having said that look at last season we beat Hamilton and look where both our seasons went. Hopefully this is just a wake up call and we respond next week.

Bring back Johnny martin coz the goalkeepers we've got aren't a patch on him.

I agree the midfield is pretty poor just shows how much of an influence Craig Barr had. Hopefully we get more quality in soon.

Doubt it GB will be given a set amount ye can spend in wages for august and january and with the signings he's made are ex FT i.e McNeil,Proctor and Fitzpatrick so i don't think personally there will be any quality coming through the door unless it's in the under 19 squad.

Think we're definitely weak at centre half and centre mid. Proctor is a decent enough centre half however I do feel he's more of a 2nd centre back rather than the main man at the back and as I suspected Fitzpatrick is not big enough to be a centre back (I suspect he'll struggle against better strikers such as Michael Moffat and Jamie Longworth). Blockley took his goal well, something he's always done, but the inability of him and Hamill to make simple passes was worrying to say the least. I think maybe 1 out of 5 passes they made reached an Airdrie player and both were missing in the middle of the park far too often (Blockley too far up the park and hamill sitting too deep). I would put Watt in centre mid on Saturday instead of Blockley as the wee man was the best player in an Airdrie top against Rovers and will make up for Hammill's lack of movement.

Think we're definitely weak at centre half and centre mid. Proctor is a decent enough centre half however I do feel he's more of a 2nd centre back rather than the main man at the back and as I suspected Fitzpatrick is not big enough to be a centre back (I suspect he'll struggle against better strikers such as Michael Moffat and Jamie Longworth). Blockley took his goal well, something he's always done, but the inability of him and Hamill to make simple passes was worrying to say the least. I think maybe 1 out of 5 passes they made reached an Airdrie player and both were missing in the middle of the park far too often (Blockley too far up the park and hamill sitting too deep). I would put Watt in centre mid on Saturday instead of Blockley as the wee man was the best player in an Airdrie top against Rovers and will make up for Hammill's lack of movement.

My team for Saturday would be:

1. McNeil

2.Bain

3.P.Boyle

5.Proctor

6.Fitzpatrick

7.Gray

8.Blockley

4.Stewart

11.Watt

9.Lister

10.Keigy parker

I thought the defence coped well with Gemmell on Saturday so I wouldn't write them off as being too small just yet.

I thought the defence coped well with Gemmell on Saturday so I wouldn't write them off as being too small just yet.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting they had a bad game, just thought they could find it difficult against better strikers in the league.

Don't necessarily disagree mate and Moffat will obviously be a step up. I think though they deserve a chance to bed in. A lot of over the top comments from some based on one game which we lost on penalties after being the better team. Hopefully they'll come good. Obviously Saturday wasn't good enough though.

Archived