The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

Most definitely. :( Any time spent dealing with the club and it becomes plainly obvious why so many diehard Airdrie fans & other businessmen who've been involved walkaway from the club. Its very hard to motivate yourself to arrange any events to help the club when you feel like most of your time is spent fighting the club and their backward outlook. But you just have to get on with things and hope one day we can get rid of them and have a proper community club.

Anyway enough of the negative stuff. The Trust have a stall at the Airdrie Fair on Saturday:

- Official launching of the KitAid, swap a strip for a free under 16s season ticket initiative.

- Selling merchandise.

- And the ML6 lager will be on sale from Saturday in the Avenue, Cellar Bar, Cue Here, Pro-Bowl, West End & Yesterdays. As well as carryouts from Colas.

What TB says. Galvanise ourselves...support GB and the team...and prepare for the eventuality of the Ballantynes walking away. Plenty to be optimistic about though,

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most definitely. :( Any time spent dealing with the club and it becomes plainly obvious why so many diehard Airdrie fans & other businessmen who've been involved walkaway from the club. Its very hard to motivate yourself to arrange any events to help the club when you feel like most of your time is spent fighting the club and their backward outlook. But you just have to get on with things and hope one day we can get rid of them and have a proper community club.

Anyway enough of the negative stuff. The Trust have a stall at the Airdrie Fair on Saturday:

- Official launching of the KitAid, swap a strip for a free under 16s season ticket initiative.

- Selling merchandise.

- And the ML6 lager will be on sale from Saturday in the Avenue, Cellar Bar, Cue Here, Pro-Bowl, West End & Yesterdays. As well as carryouts from Colas.

While I agree it's best to stop talking about this dead rubber of an issue (which was the point I was making to the earlier poster), I feel compelled to reply to what were two good posts Tory Boy.

I think the way the Trust were used to peddle this story was incredibly harsh, as you say there are two sides to every story but Jim Ballantyne used a glamourised version of his to dupe the Trust. Considering how closely the Club & the Trust should be able to work with complete confidence in each other, it really was an underhanded move.

I've never disputed the fact that we don't have a lot of money or that Ballantyne has lost a great deal since taking over our club. However, to suggest that we made any sort of significant financial loss last season is laughable. He's either lied about it or he's a terrible accountant.

Add to that the fact that the stadium company have been made out as the villain, solely responsible for any plight we might be in, is equally ridiculous. The club don't pay anymore than 3.5k per game for the ground at the moment so some of the figures banded about are a joke.

As you say though we can only get behind the team, work hard and hope that one day we are led by more forward thinking individuals.

Oh I'm sorry, I must have missed the bit where someone actually came out and officially said that we couldn't afford the stadium and we would have to move.

? What ToryBoy said. :rolleyes:

While I agree it's best to stop talking about this dead rubber of an issue (which was the point I was making to the earlier poster), I feel compelled to reply to what were two good posts Tory Boy.

I think the way the Trust were used to peddle this story was incredibly harsh, as you say there are two sides to every story but Jim Ballantyne used a glamourised version of his to dupe the Trust. Considering how closely the Club & the Trust should be able to work with complete confidence in each other, it really was an underhanded move.

I've never disputed the fact that we don't have a lot of money or that Ballantyne has lost a great deal since taking over our club. However, to suggest that we made any sort of significant financial loss last season is laughable. He's either lied about it or he's a terrible accountant.

Add to that the fact that the stadium company have been made out as the villain, solely responsible for any plight we might be in, is equally ridiculous. The club don't pay anymore than 3.5k per game for the ground at the moment so some of the figures banded about are a joke.

As you say though we can only get behind the team, work hard and hope that one day we are led by more forward thinking individuals.

Agree the notion that we made a significant loss last year is staggering. What kind of loss did we make the previous year and the year before that,when you consider that the Rovers are saying that their games against the Rangers have set them up for years + opening up the old enclosure and possibly building a small stand behind one of the goals. Did this loss include depreciation etc, etc, etc.

? What ToryBoy said. :rolleyes:

And if you re-read what ToryBoy said, even he alluded to the fact that what Ballantyne told the trust at that meeting was clearly far from true. He came out in the press weeks later & dismissed it himself.

So again I say, any notion that we're moving away = unsubstantiated :rolleyes:

And if you re-read what ToryBoy said, even he alluded to the fact that what Ballantyne told the trust at that meeting was clearly far from true. He came out in the press weeks later & dismissed it himself.

So again I say, any notion that we're moving away = unsubstantiated :rolleyes:

And if you re-read what ToryBoy say's he's actually saying that Ballantyne said the the Trust and shareholders that we could not afford the stadium and would have to move.

Any notion of moving away = substantiated :rolleyes:

And if you re-read what ToryBoy say's he's actually saying that Ballantyne said the the Trust and shareholders that we could not afford the stadium and would have to move.

Any notion of moving away = substantiated :rolleyes:

I've read exactly what ToryBoy wrote & in turn, I acknowledged that Ballantyne said it at the meeting, that confirms nothing in my eyes.

If we can't afford it, why haven't we moved then? Why were the revelations of this meeting not taken further forward? Oh that's right, because it was a ridiculous power play attempted by Ballantyne to try & drop the rent. When he realised it wouldn't work he backtracked.

The reason the whole thing is unsubstantiated is because there's no weight behind it, it was a bluff. Just because Ballantyne said it at a meeting doesn't make it factual.

I've already said that it wasn't a great move as he's betrayed a lot of trust from within the Supporter's Trust. He obviously felt it was worth the gamble though, because if he couldn't get the rent down he could at least stick with the 'stadium company is flogging us' line, if and when we were unable to compete financially with other clubs.

If you choose to remain fixated on the idea we're over-paying for the stadium, meaning that we'll simply have to move - that's your choice. But in my eyes, it's just all negativity & scaremongering.

I've read exactly what ToryBoy wrote & in turn, I acknowledged that Ballantyne said it at the meeting, that confirms nothing in my eyes.

If we can't afford it, why haven't we moved then? Why were the revelations of this meeting not taken further forward? Oh that's right, because it was a ridiculous power play attempted by Ballantyne to try & drop the rent. When he realised it wouldn't work he backtracked.

The reason the whole thing is unsubstantiated is because there's no weight behind it, it was a bluff. Just because Ballantyne said it at a meeting doesn't make it factual.

I've already said that it wasn't a great move as he's betrayed a lot of trust from within the Supporter's Trust. He obviously felt it was worth the gamble though, because if he couldn't get the rent down he could at least stick with the 'stadium company is flogging us' line, if and when we were unable to compete financially with other clubs.

If you choose to remain fixated on the idea we're over-paying for the stadium, meaning that we'll simply have to move - that's your choice. But in my eyes, it's just all negativity & scaremongering.

Ballantyne said it at a meeting with the supporters and shareholders, therefore it's a substantiated rumor. A simple concept really. Whether it was played out as a bluff matters not a jot. It has come from the horses mouth and warrants discussion.

Incidentally, that's about my fourth post on the issue of the "move". Hardly fixated.

Ballantyne said it at a meeting with the supporters and shareholders, therefore it's a substantiated rumor. A simple concept really. Whether it was played out as a bluff matters not a jot. It has come from the horses mouth and warrants discussion.

Incidentally, that's about my fourth post on the issue of the "move". Hardly fixated.

Fair enough, at the end of the day we're arguing over a technicality. I don't agree with you, as irrespective of the fact he said it at the meeting, he then corrected that by saying the opposite. It's unproven & unconfirmed; so in my eyes, unsubstantiated. It's all a matter of opinion though.

You're right that it warranted discussion even if it was just a rumour, but it's been done to death now.

I'd rather we moved on and looked ahead, I do think the whole situation leaves another question mark over Ballantyne's head but as others have said we're stuck where we are & have to make the best of it.

Incidentally, I had no intention of causing offence, I simply feel aggrieved that the stadium is being used as an excuse for our financial woes. It's simply an easy out for Ballantyne in my view. Apologies if you took it any other way.

Dont know the finances at your club but appears a similar problem to that at Clyde, expensive to rent stadia that rarely reaches capacity. Obviously great when play the likes of Rangers because loads of room to capitalise, just doesnt happen often enough. Chicken and egg, cracking ground if you go up the leagues but if having to pay loads when not getting up a drain that holds you back but thats probably simplified version

Dont know the finances at your club but appears a similar problem to that at Clyde, expensive to rent stadia that rarely reaches capacity. Obviously great when play the likes of Rangers because loads of room to capitalise, just doesnt happen often enough. Chicken and egg, cracking ground if you go up the leagues but if having to pay loads when not getting up a drain that holds you back but thats probably simplified version

Well done mate, never knew that. Wonderful insight given in your simplified version.

Darren McCormack is training with Brechin

Fair enough, while he had a decent second half of the season after being moved into midfield by Bollan, it's not like he's an exceptional player who we'd struggle to replace. He'll have been made on offer within our budget and if it's not enough he's free to look elsewhere. I'm still reasonably confident in Bollan's ability to either bring in a suitable replacement or identify one of the younger players to step up.

Very Disappointing if we can't keep a hold of our captain who wasn't even one of our best players to a team who finished below us in the league.

Guess at the moment our team would resemble something like ... attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1403811566.961696.jpg

I reckon the best starting team we have at the moment (assuming the new signings go straight into the first 11):

McNeil

Bain - Drumond - Fitzpatrick - Boyle

Gray - Hammill - Blockley - Watt

Lister - Boyle

Subs:

Parker

O'Neil

Coogans

Cadden

Stewart

Archived