The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah standard stuff from, well all other teams fans.

"You've signed ********** :-D "

Yawn.

Well aye, but we've had the pleasure of having him play for us. Don't get me wrong, he's a decent shot stopper with good distribution, but he flaps at crosses, loses his nerve, gets rushes of blood to the head, at the Rovers we've watched him misjudge the bounce of a ball for it to go over his head and out, pick up a back pass and most laughably nearly put a goal-kick into his own net (he was taking it from the left and tried the short kick out to his right back but shanked the kick so much it barely trickled over the right side of the post!).

An incident in the last game of the season 2 years ago sums it up for me. We were playing Livi and McNeil was in goals for them. At 2-1 up with minutes to go, McNeil waves his defenders away from a free kick and into the box, he subsequently chips a superb ball into Iain Russell who bundles it in for 2-2. Having played an important role in bringing his side back to parity, he gives it big licks to his fans in the Rovers support. From kick off Pat Clarke fires a ball in towards Brian Graham near the edge of the box, McNeil comes rushing out to try and intercept it - it's nowhere near being his ball, he flaps at it, strands himself and Graham pokes home into an empty net for 3-2.

Basically, no matter what good he does, he'll always find a way of fucking it up.

Ah standard stuff from, well all other teams fans.

"You've signed ********** :-D "

Yawn.

Ordinarily you would be right. I heard that he wasn't very good, but the few times I've seen him he's been good. I'm sure he will be a decent signing. Hope he's better than Fitzpatrick.

McNeil's big weakness is his lack of confidence and poor mental strength. He's a big game bottler and can't handle pressure. If he makes a wee error early on you're stuffed, he won't recover and willprobibly get worse. He's liable to howlers and if he's off his game he can turn a solid defence into a nervous line who will lack faith in him and take risks to ensure he isn't required.

McNeil's big weakness is his lack of confidence and poor mental strength. He's a big game bottler and can't handle pressure. If he makes a wee error early on you're stuffed, he won't recover and willprobibly get worse. He's liable to howlers and if he's off his game he can turn a solid defence into a nervous line who will lack faith in him and take risks to ensure he isn't required.

This is spot on.

In purely technical terms, he's a fine goalkeeper, but he's also a complete bottle merchant. Even if (and it's a big if) he settles into fairly decent league form his arse would collapse completely if you reached the playoffs.

I bet he looks amazing in training, when there's no pressure on him. I'm not surprised he's constantly able to find a new club whenever he's released. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before each manager finds out that his skill as a goalkeeper is completely compromised on match days by his lack of mental fortitude.

Yup. He had a few decent games for us but if he gets tested early on and doesn't deal with it properly or makes a wee error in a pass back or such like there's no coming back and he'll have a bad day. The worst thing is your defenders will work this out and take risks in order to avoid passing it back to him etc.

I bet he looks amazing in training, when there's no pressure on him. I'm not surprised he's constantly able to find a new club whenever he's released. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before each manager finds out that his skill as a goalkeeper is completely compromised on match days by his lack of mental fortitude.

Contradicts what Bollan said about re signing him.

Gary explained, "I have known Andy for a long time and he will be an excellent addition to the squad and brings with him bags of experience and enthusiasm".

Keepers mistakes are always magnified and they will always be made.

as always he gets the benefit of the doubt

Pre season starts tonight and we have 19 signed players all be it a good few youngsters in there but still better than the last 5-6 seasons

I'm pleased with that, Jamie has been a different player under Bollan, maybe due to the players around him but he also seems less inclined towards the amateur dramatics which were a large part of his game previously. Cadden has shown in the games he played in the 1st team last year and throughout the reserve and U19 season that he is capable of getting down the wing, beating a man and/or putting in a decent cross. Looking forward to seeing if he can perform consistently although with his age it's more about development.

Archived