The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really is no need for any panic at this stage. There's about a month until the preseason fixtures so we've got time to bring in a few bodies.

I'm actually not too fussed about losing Milojevic. In the end he looked solid enough but had a good few bomb scare moments along the way. Drummond, from what I've seen of him, certainly looks capable of stepping up to the plate if fit.

Still though, we certainly need some good news as the signings thus far have been of the uninspiring "experienced" type, which is fine to bring the youngsters on if they have a good pedigree, but ours seem to have pretty poor reviews.

Plenty time though....

Who will you miss more Buchanan or Milojevic?

Buchanan, by a distance. He was a bit inconsistent in his first season, but came on leaps and bounds last year. Imposing at the back and good for a few goals from set-pieces. He also got more vocal as the season went on, definite future captain material.

Perhaps someone on here can help me out. Writing a quiz on Opening Day XIs for Airdrieonians and all the various forms and I'm looking for the line-up in a 0-0 draw with Clydebank on the opening day of the 1998/99 season. I have so far:

John Martin, Jimmy Sandison, David Farrell, Sandy Stewart, Tony Smith, Marvyn Wilson, Forbes Johnston, Steve Cooper, Paul McGrillen and Gareth Evans but I am missing someone out and I can't find anything online that might help. Does anyone here have anything by any chance?

I see on twitter that you guys have signed our old U20s captain Scott Gray. I've not seen much of him, but I think he's reasonably highly thought of at Saints. Probably one of our highest ever appearance makers at that level, but was never likely to make the grade at Saints with Dave Mackay, Gary Miller, Lee Croft and David Wotherspoon his direct competition and is now too old for the U20s. He's a right sided midfielder who was used as a right full back much of the time he played for us.

I hope he does well as he seems like a nice lad.

Who will you miss more Buchanan or Milojevic?

Buchanan without a shadow of a doubt. Couldn't have been much between him and Lister for POTY. Buchanan as mentioned earlier was dominant at the back and even in the earlier part of the season when we were leaking goals, the scorelines would have been much worse were it not for his presence. Fully comitted in the tackle and when challenging in the air, but not in that fully committed instant red card way.

Milojevic while doing well was decent but he was overly casual on too many occasions and either had to remedy it himself or one of his team mates remedy it. If we'd retained Buchanan I'd have preferred to see Drummond get a chance alongside him this season.

Our loss is The Pars gain unfortunately.

Opposition fans at Morton games will undoubtedly see a few comedy gold banana skin moments from Milojevic. 'ton fans won't find it quite as funny after a whole season.

Perhaps someone on here can help me out. Writing a quiz on Opening Day XIs for Airdrieonians and all the various forms and I'm looking for the line-up in a 0-0 draw with Clydebank on the opening day of the 1998/99 season. I have so far:

John Martin, Jimmy Sandison, David Farrell, Sandy Stewart, Tony Smith, Marvyn Wilson, Forbes Johnston, Steve Cooper, Paul McGrillen and Gareth Evans but I am missing someone out and I can't find anything online that might help. Does anyone here have anything by any chance?

Gerry Farrell is the player you're missing from the starting lineup.

Unbelievable to think he started before Black or Taylor, Alex MacDonald must have been pished!!!

Airdrie: Martin, Stewart, Johnston, Sandison, D Farrell, Smith, G Farrell, Wilson, Cooper, Evans (replaced by Black), McGrillen (replaced by Taylor).

Clydebank: Scott, Wishart, Lovering, Teale (replaced by Miller), McLaughlin, Brannigan, Nichols, McDonald, Taggart, Robertson (replaced by Gardner), McWilliams (replaced by Smith).

Referee: Mr G Clyde (Bearsden).

Gerry Farrell is the player you're missing from the starting lineup.

Unbelievable to think he started before Black or Taylor, Alex MacDonald must have been pished!!!

Airdrie: Martin, Stewart, Johnston, Sandison, D Farrell, Smith, G Farrell, Wilson, Cooper, Evans (replaced by Black), McGrillen (replaced by Taylor).

Clydebank: Scott, Wishart, Lovering, Teale (replaced by Miller), McLaughlin, Brannigan, Nichols, McDonald, Taggart, Robertson (replaced by Gardner), McWilliams (replaced by Smith).

Referee: Mr G Clyde (Bearsden).

Thanks mate. Changed that now :)

Archived