The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He may have been at one point, ten years ago, but he's not any more. You might be able to get away with playing him as a wide midfielder, but he's not no pace and he won't beat a man. He always looked more assured in the middle of the park for us.

He passes the ball well enough, doesn't give it away too often, but he's not incisive going forward (I think he scored twice in his time at the Rovers, and he wasn't piling up assists either) and I wouldn't be expecting him to muck in with the defensive side of things either.

Might do a job in the Second Division, but I wasn't at all surprised to see him in the Highland League after he left us.

He most certainly isn't. He's a centre midfielder who can play as a left midfielder. Of all the attributes you look for in a winger, he has precisely zero of them.

He actually has the attributes to be a decent CM, but he'll forever be woeful if he's played on the left. He more or less never played in the middle for us, though he actually did alright when he did despite concerns that his tendency to go missing would see us punished.

Agree with both you here. I think one of Hammill's best games for us was Partick away in the season they won the league, when we went to Firhill in December and he put in a very solid performance as he'd been played in the middle. If you play him out on the wing, he'll be absolutely lost. He doesn't have the pace or the trickery to create anything.

Coincidently, I've noticed a few Airdrie fans saying Barr was being played in midfield. I've always seen him in defence, so what can we expect on that front?

Agree with both you here. I think one of Hammill's best games for us was Partick away in the season they won the league, when we went to Firhill in December and he put in a very solid performance as he'd been played in the middle. If you play him out on the wing, he'll be absolutely lost. He doesn't have the pace or the trickery to create anything.

Coincidently, I've noticed a few Airdrie fans saying Barr was being played in midfield. I've always seen him in defence, so what can we expect on that front?

Hammill sounds great.

Barr was immense for us in midfield. Composed, calm, brilliant touch, can pick a pass.

He will be excellent for you guys. An excellent addition to any squad.

Hard to say. I imagine he'll play at centre half you you. He did play one game at CB for us a strolled it. Realistically You probably have better options in central midfield anyway.

Wouldn't mind signing Cuthbert. However I can imagine they'll be a couple of championship clubs he's more likely to sign for like Alloa or Falkirk.

If he couldn't agree terms with Accies, I doubt he'd be lured by out £30 and a packet of fizzy snakes......

If he couldn't agree terms with Accies, I doubt he'd be lured by out £30 and a packet of fizzy snakes......

Wasn't aware that's what happened. Be interesting to see where he goes now. Falkirk seems the only likely team in the championship.

Wasn't aware that's what happened. Be interesting to see where he goes now. Falkirk seems the only likely team in the championship.

Would be a decent move for Falkirk but they've been heavily linked with Robbie Thomson, formerly of Celtic and an erstwhile loanee of both Stenhousemuir and Airdrie. Not sure how well he played when he was with you but he was excellent during his brief spell at Ochilview. He'd certainly be a handy signing for the Bairns.

I would rather have kept those boys and played at cliftonhill than spend all the extra money on a shitey white elephant stadium, never buying a pie or pint again from them

Archived