The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

Fantastic statement from our chairman, very encouraging and it looks like the issues with Longmuir and the SPFL have also gone away so even better. Having Longmuir on board must be a good thing.

I think that in order to get everyone behind his strategy (local business, fans etc) it would be helpful if Jim B could clear up where the projected losses are, including the breakdown of the supposed £6,000 per game charge from the stadium co.

When invoiced it must be broken down into areas such as pitch hire, stadium hire, staff costs, stewarding, lighting and so on. And on that basis, the breakdown of the Rangers charges, I think I've heard £20,000 per game, £30,000 per game and even £70,000 for the two games. The more we understand the more we can believe.

As he says, onward and upward.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a great statement in terms of telling us Drysdale is away, Longmuir is in, and that we all need to rally together - as a community.

In terms of explaining where we will be playing next year - it confirms nothing, and is wooly at best.

I might have got it all wrong, but for me the statement is pretty clear in saying that we will continue at the stadium and because of that there will be a shortfall. Therefore it's over to the fans and community to turn up and support the team, if this doesn't happen then it's down the road (Cliftonhill will be upgraded by then) or worse.

I might have got it all wrong, but for me the statement is pretty clear in saying that we will continue at the stadium and because of that there will be a shortfall. Therefore it's over to the fans and community to turn up and support the team, if this doesn't happen then it's down the road (Cliftonhill will be upgraded by then) or worse.

I took the same from that statement.

However, I'd like to see the club being far more (and I hate the word) proactive this season and getting men signed up early doors.

Losing Barr is massive, though not unexpected. However, getting to the "Championship" next year is imperitive given there's likely to be a fan base from Hearts/Hibs/Rangers there. This season, we need a proper build up with a team that know each other from the start.

For me, this season will spell out the ambition of the club.

ETA: Anyone who thinks Prunty, nice guy though he is, is the answer, is sorely mistaken.

I read into the statement that we'll be at NB next season and am optimistic that Ballantyne will do the right thing if we all get behind him. A concern to me is ToryBoys outpouring on the Stomp as he has always been a strong supporter. I still feel we need a breakdown on stadium costs so we can understand whether or not it is a poor deal. We also tend to wash over the club income for Tony Watt and others. Young Jordan allegedly going to Wolves and Coogans off to pastures new must help balance the books. How much did we/the club get for them? I do think we need to know these things in order to form a balanced view.

Prunts been excellent for the sons, loves it here so doubt you'll get him anyway

Was Jim lister not as well though? Not bothered if Prunts comes back or not would rather we went for Higgins but John Boyle coming back will almost be like a new signing. Finding a centre mid must be the priority now Craig Barr has sadly gone

Was Jim lister not as well though? Not bothered if Prunts comes back or not would rather we went for Higgins but John Boyle coming back will almost be like a new signing. Finding a centre mid must be the priority now Craig Barr has sadly gone

I think I'm the only Airdrie fan who isn't interested in John Boyle returning. After such a long time out his general fitness will be way off and after a knee operation he will not be the same player he was.

Much as i would like to know all the facts you are never going to get the full picture .The club let the stadium costs etc to become common knowledge to suit their own argument ,but think about what has not been released to balance the stadium costs and running the club eg revenue from 2 televised home rangers games this season and also 40% of the ibrox cup tie money With regard to transfer fees and player sell ons this will be covered by confidentiality clauses agreed by the clubs so you will never know

I dont't think it's necessary to get the full picture, just an indication about whether or not we/they/the club are being ripped off or not. For example, whilst the cost to hire the stadium may be considered high (if you believe the £20,000, £30,000, £70,000 numbers), as a result of hiring the stadium the club does not have all of the overheads that other clubs do. Also, if the figures include stewarding and police costs this is a figure that they would have to pay in any instance so if these costs are included in what the club calls 'stadium hire' they should be stripped out for comparative purposes.

If one of them wants to win the argument (and they may not want to) they need to share.

Much as i would like to know all the facts you are never going to get the full picture .The club let the stadium costs etc to become common knowledge to suit their own argument ,but think about what has not been released to balance the stadium costs and running the club eg revenue from 2 televised home rangers games this season and also 40% of the ibrox cup tie money With regard to transfer fees and player sell ons this will be covered by confidentiality clauses agreed by the clubs so you will never know

Supposedly we would have made a loss if it weren't for the Ibrox cup game.

Regarding the transfer fees - I don't mind not knowing how much money we get or indeed how it's spent. I'd assume the money gained would have been used to cover previous losses sustained by Ballantyne and it's hard to justify him doing anything else. As I've said previously, he's guided the club through a recession losing money on the way - not too many would be prepared to do that.

However - and it's a big one - I wholly object to the way the Trust and shareholders have been treated with this whole stadium sharing rumour. If Ballantyne wanted a bargaining chip, he's gone about it completely the wrong way and further alienated decent supporters of the club. If he's used it as some sort of distorted way to try and scare the fans into turning out, again, it's back fired. TB's post on the Stomp is pretty revealing and I firmly believe the Chairman should explain himself here. He has completely negated any positives which you could take from the Club statement.

Once more, just when there's a good feeling around the club, the Chairman pulls down his trousers and curls a massive steamer off in the nest.

I think I'm the only Airdrie fan who isn't interested in John Boyle returning. After such a long time out his general fitness will be way off and after a knee operation he will not be the same player he was.

Think you probably are.

Prior to injury Boyle had a tremendous workrate and if the fitness regime introduced by Bollan which had fair success with our squad has the same effect on him in close season there's no reason why fitness will be an issue. As for not being the same player he was, there's no reason why that should be the case so long as the op went well. I look forward to his return.

Airdrie to play Strathspey Thistle in Grantown on Spey sometime at start of July in a friendly

Source?

Nightlife in Grantown?

Lappies?

Discoteque?

Streetwalkers?

Mob?

I jest, of course. The date and source would be adequate. Plus can we stay at your bit.

Regards.

This is interesting, an actual Airdrie close season thread with real news!! Normally there is a news blackout coupled with total disinterest from early May until the end of July.

Refreshing!!

Been told that McAleer has been offered a deal by Airdrie. He's wanting to go part-time as he's going to Glasgow Uni. Would be surprised if he didn't sign on with you c***s.

Been told that McAleer has been offered a deal by Airdrie. He's wanting to go part-time as he's going to Glasgow Uni. Would be surprised if he didn't sign on with you c***s.

Trying too hard...

But thanks for the info regardless. I would be happy with that as he was a key player in last seasons turnaround.

Archived