The Airdrieonians Close Season Thread 2014

I might be slightly early to the party (which I swear has never happened before) but the season has come to a close after much toil and despair.

I heard various things being banded about at today's game which make for slightly pessimistic reading/viewing.

For one, reading from the Chairman's comments, it appears that he might not be in the position for very long - proving suspicion which has been raised from the last few home games. In addition, he praised the commitment of his sister, which I think is clear for everyone to see. I for one would like to thank Ann-Marie for her commitment to the club as she is always available should she need to be contacted. Business wise, I noticed David Longmuir at the game again in the Directors Box which raised a few questions with me. I have since heard of a scheme which involves him joining the board, however I can't elaborate any more than that as I can't vouch for the accuracy and I wouldn't like to incriminate myself or any other people at the club.

Players wise, it was intimated to me today that only three out of the current crop have been told that they are free to leave and the manager would like to initiate contract proceedings with all other members. Debate can go on about who those three are. Craig Barr is leaving the club to go to America, which was supposedly always the plan, so I can only echo my fellow Airdrie supporters who offer thanks and praise for his part in the "Gary's Great Escape". He was undoubtedly one of the players who changed the season for us. I spoke to Keighan Parker after the game who said that he would be happy to stay and if we keep the manager then the league will be a "scoush" for us next season. I think priorities are to keep the spine of the team in Adam; Milojevic, Buchanan; McCormack (since Barr is almost certainly out) and Parker/Lister.

That is one big IF though.

If stories which link Gary to Raith are true then I'm not sure we can do much about it - but as a fan I only want to cross that bridge when we come to it. One defeat in 18 games was, rightly in my opinion, appraised on the official website as title winning form and credit has to go to the manager and his team.

In conclusion, I'd like to give my thanks to Gary, Stuart Balmer, Tony Bullock, Flax and the backroom staff for turning things round so magnificently and giving us Diamonds something to cheer about. In addition, the players (Grant Adam; Jamie Bain, Gregor Buchanan, Stefan Milojevic, Paddy Boyle; Caolan McAleer, Craig Barr, Darren McCormack, Liam Watt; Jim Lister, Keighan Parker. Scott Stewart, Nicky Cadden, Nathan Blockley, Lewis Coult, Liam Coogans (and anyone else I've missed)) can be very rightly proud of themselves and I hope they have a great time at their player of the year do and, I believe, afterwards in town.

ETA: On a much lighter hearted note, I do hope the Player of the Year do goes fantastically tonight, and from Twitter I can confirm that Drew Busby, Frank O'Rourke and Walter Kidd have been inducted into the hall of fame.

I personally backed Gregor Buchanan and Liam Watt for player and young player respectively, however we shall find that out in due course.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who are the three players that have been told they can leave?

I reckon it will be Coult, Lamie and Evans. Coult rarely if at all used by Bollan, Lamie only an unused sub 3 times between loan spells all season and Evans not one of Bollans prefered starting 11.

I spoke to grant adam last night and he gave me the impression that IF Airdrie offered him the same as last season he would be there. Craig barr we have no chance of keeping you can see by the way hes came into the team the last ten games hes a few leagues above whats around him. It all depends with Milo its alright saying he ll be away but if no one offers him then surely we could have him next season. Mccormack last night seemed really positive about staying also as he was saying bollan shows alot of trust in him and hes worked with bollan before. You never know though who knows who ll be here next season ????

If stories which link Gary to Raith are true then I'm not sure we can do much about it - but as a fan I only want to cross that bridge when we come to it. One defeat in 18 games was, rightly in my opinion, appraised on the official website as title winning form and credit has to go to the manager and his team.

So on one hand Bollans off because a Raith supporter said so on the internet. On the other he's planning for next season and told three players they are free to go.

For someone who doesn't want to cross that bridge until it happens you've mentioned the supposed Raith link enough times!

So on one hand Bollans off because a Raith supporter said so on the internet. On the other he's planning for next season and told three players they are free to go.

For someone who doesn't want to cross that bridge until it happens you've mentioned the supposed Raith link enough times!

My thoughts surround a tenuous link between the club and a member of the Raith Rovers board. The link being our commercial manager who has a Raith Rovers FC sticker on the back of his car...

ETA: Apparently the story about a stadium move came from a shareholders meeting.

In my opinion a move would alienate the vast majority of fans and put the club in a worse state. Selling the Shyberry at the time was a good idea because the costs associated with running it were utterly devastating to the club. This was a time when businesses weren't in a position to rent out conference rooms etc. I spoke to the boy who did the catering up at the stadium for the hospitality and in the days when the stadium was owned and when it was ran by the old manager, the conference rooms would be full every day. Now, how ever many years later, the grips of the financial downturn haven't been slipped and the conference rooms still aren't been used so the stadium needs to recoup the lost income through other revenue streams.

Unfortunately, Airdrie - aside from this season and next with Queen's Park - are the sole tenants, so they will bear the brunt of the increases.

Added to that, the 5-a-sides/7-a-sides/11-a-sides are priced completely wrongly, so its the mismanagement of the stadium company that has put the Diamonds in this position after what seemed a savvy move by the board earlier on, on the basis that the new stadium owners were "fans of the club".

So are you implying that an employee of the club is trying (or will try) to engineer a situation where another club poaches its manager?

The stadium stuff is just dire. The thought of playing out of Cliftonhill is just dreadful.

Adam might stay he shouted to bollan when my friend was getting a picture with him "gaffer can I speak to you about my contract" and bollan hut a redneck.

Stefan will move to the division above. Barr is going to America. Coult is going back to Cowdenbeath. I reckon Evans will leave as well

Think in terms of on the field priorities should be ensuring that Bollan and his backroom staff stay and that we get the backbone of the squad; Adam, Buchanan, Milijovic, McCormack and Lister signed up. Real pity about Barr leaving if true thogh it wouldn't surprise me at all. Has been absolutely outstanding and is far too good for this level. Would be happy to let Coult, Lamie, Evans and McCluskey go and sign up the rest of the squad. That and a couple of good additions and we could really challenge next year. Coogans will probably be away too (have heard he is going to Wolves).

Archived