Stenhousemuir Summer 2014

It's been widely known for a week or so now but that's Martin Grehan announced that he's signed on at Stenhousemuir for next season.

A very sound piece of business for the Warriors. He was excellent last season and is probably the next best thing to John Gemmell. Delighted with it.

Better player than Gemmell...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have Lister over either of those.

But, hey, continue with your circle w**k over yet another big haddy.

How many goals did Lister score and how many games did he play in the season just gone? The one where he was voted POTY.

How many goals did Gemmell score in the season just gone and how many games did he played? Given one he was injured for parts and dropped for others I'm presuming that Lister scored far more?

How many goals did Lister score and how many games did he play in the season just gone? The one where he was voted POTY.

How many goals did Gemmell score in the season just gone and how many games did he played? Given one he was injured for parts and dropped for others I'm presuming that Lister scored far more?

Gemmell hit a bit of form when he had dropped weight and banged in a few goals. Once normal service was resumed, i.e. his appetite, he returned to the useless big lump of wood he was prior to his Atkins diet. If he's so good, how come Booth didn't fancy him? How come he now plays in the bottom tier with a team who've frequently finished bottom of the pile?

Anyone watching Listers work rate and movement in comparison to that bollard of a player would agree, apart from Stenny fans who cant see past their erections because they once interacted with Gemmell on Twitter.

Gemmell 's good season was the one before last. He was fairly poor last season, yet scored more than Lister. What does that say about Lister.

You keep telling me I over rate Gemmell when Lister had a good season but scored less.

Gemmell 's good season was the one before last. He was fairly poor last season, yet scored more than Lister. What does that say about Lister.

You keep telling me I over rate Gemmell when Lister had a good season but scored less.

Our entire fucking team had a poor half season, Lister didn't score enough this season primarily due to that. Gemmell had a decent 1st half.

Having watched both, my preference is for Lister due to his work rate and movement. Gemmell is fat and immobile. Again I ask, if he's so good, why is he with the Rovers? How come Booth let him go, to bring in a poorer replacement (at least in the view of the fans)?

Just because he gives you a bit of banter on Twitter doesn't warrant the permanent place he's earned in the collective w**k bank of the Stenny faithful.

Bit it's all about opinions.....

Booth let him go because the two of them had a 'disagreement'. He has gone to Rovers because it's convenient for where he lives, they've offered a decent wage and it's a two year contract. He had offers from League 1 teams.

If you want a prime example of a one season wonder it's Lister. Laughably bad at the senior clubs he was at for a few years before a belter at Dumbarton.

Thankfully we now have McMenamin and Grehan.

Fudge I just think you have to accept Lister and every other Airdrie player were amongst the best in the world under Bollan.

I would hazard a guess a high majority of fans (outwith Airdrie and Stenhousemuir) would take Grehan or Gemmell over Lister any day of the week.

Everyone is happy anyway Airdrie have their goal shy workhorse and we will have our latest goal scoring maverick.

To be fair Lister has had a very successful season in the championship - Gemmell hasn't. Purely using goals as a measurement of a strikers success is entirely flawed. Lister has never really been a goal scorer. Gemmell for me is a good bottom tier player who fans all like when he plays for their club. I vastly overrated him when he was with us too.

Thanks for asking.

Lister was a goal scorer at Camelon hence he got a gig at senior so you're talking pish right away. Do you think he was brought to the seniors on the basis of him being a worker? Naw, because he scored goals.

Lister had one very good season in the Championship because he scored goals. Would he have got the same accolade for 5 goals and being a worker? Naw.

I think everyone was shocked at that Championship season as he has been utter beige and done nothing of note in the bottom two leagues before or since.

He's not a bad player but you aren't going to be doing much with him as the spearhead.

Lister was a goal scorer at Camelon hence he got a gig at senior so you're talking pish right away. Do you think he was brought to the seniors on the basis of him being a worker? Naw, because he scored goals.

Lister had one very good season in the Championship because he scored goals. Would he have got the same accolade for 5 goals and being a worker? Naw.

I could score goals at junior level. He hasn't scored goals consistently in the league.

The second bit is nonsensical. I wager you never saw him or Dumbo that season. He was integral to the way he played. He created so much for them. A dozen league goals in the championship was a great return for him, something Gemmell hasn't or ever will achieve. He's a seaside bottom tier striker who fans w**k over because he's a bit of a character - despite being a total p***k. See the who Rangers episode as proof of that.

Fudge I just think you have to accept Lister and every other Airdrie player were amongst the best in the world under Bollan.

I would hazard a guess a high majority of fans (outwith Airdrie and Stenhousemuir) would take Grehan or Gemmell over Lister any day of the week.

Everyone is happy anyway Airdrie have their goal shy workhorse and we will have our latest goal scoring maverick.

Neilly, Neilly, Neilly.....

Despite going on a run of form, second only to the Champions since the appointment of Bollan, no Airdrie fan has claimed our side have been anything other than an ordinary outfit for this league. For a goal shy workhorse, Lister scored a massive TWO league goals fewer than Gemmell despite his side amassing a total of 9 points at the half way mark. As has been stated, there's more to Listers game than either of Gemmell or Grehan.

To be fair Lister has had a very successful season in the championship - Gemmell hasn't. Purely using goals as a measurement of a strikers success is entirely flawed. Lister has never really been a goal scorer. Gemmell for me is a good bottom tier player who fans all like when he plays for their club. I vastly overrated him when he was with us too.

Thanks for asking.

Good post, entirely agree.

a lot of odd seethe on this thread.

Gemmell, if he could have been arsed, could have had a good and consistent career in the first division, maybe even done OK at a small Premier side like Hamilton.

but he can't be arsed, and he has a deeply flawed personality, hence his bumping around lots of small and unfashionable teams in the bottom two divisions.

none of the above isn't to say that, on his day, he is an absolutely outstanding player at second division level, let alone third. A shame his day only comes around for two games in every three months. When he was at Montrose, he put together a sequence of about 4-5 *outstanding* performances in March and early April, when he was literally unplayable. But that was after a terrible season of petualnce and laziness, and in trademark style the great wee spell was rounded off by successive red cards, and then being freed.

Just another one of those frustrating mavericks who has everything going for him, but when it comes down to it, just can't be bothered on a consistent basis. The lower divisions have always been full of such players and it's a real shame that a guy with all the attributes chooses not to maximise his talents.

Gemmell, if he could have been arsed, could have had a good and consistent career in the first division, maybe even done OK at a small Premier side like Hamilton.

I'm sorry but that is nonsense with absolutely nothing to back it up.

4/5 unplayable matches in the bottom tier of Scotland and a decent half season at Stenny and suddenly it's only his attitude stopping him from playing full time football? He's a striker who's level is to yoyo between the bottom tier and league 1 - exactly what he has achieved. It's a ludicrous argument to say he could play up a level again.

Archived