Stenhousemuir Summer 2014

Scott Booth wants the team to train three nights a week and that's something that a lot of the players aren't able to do. Judging by the tone of Sean Higgins' tweets last night, it sounds like he was offered terms but just couldn't commit. He's got a young family so three nights training and a game on the Saturday was probably too much. I reckon that was the case for a couple of the other guys.

It'll be interesting to see who he can attract over the summer. Can't help but think it'll just be young lads - don't think the good part-time players can really offer up that much time. It doesn't seem to have affected Dumbarton too badly, right enough.

As for Kris Faulds, he's genuinely one of the worst midfielders I've seen at the club. If he's the kind of player we're looking to bring in then God help us.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott Booth wants the team to train three nights a week and that's something that a lot of the players aren't able to do. Judging by the tone of Sean Higgins' tweets last night, it sounds like he was offered terms but just couldn't commit. He's got a young family so three nights training and a game on the Saturday was probably too much. I reckon that was the case for a couple of the other guys.

It'll be interesting to see who he can attract over the summer. Can't help but think it'll just be young lads - don't think the good part-time players can really offer up that much time. It doesn't seem to have affected Dumbarton too badly, right enough.

As for Kris Faulds, he's genuinely one of the worst midfielders I've seen at the club. If he's the kind of player we're looking to bring in then God help us.

Don't think we actually went with the 3 nights in the end up. I'm sure we only train Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Are Stenny fans happy with all these players being released/not wanting to stay? Booth seems to be a bit of an acquired taste.

At the moment, no. It seems like too big a group of good players to have let go all at once. There's no doubt in my mind that the large majority of them will get other clubs in this division (and possibly the division above), and I reckon it could come back to haunt us. Guys like McMillan, Higgins and Gemmell will have the pick of the clubs.

Of course, this will all be forgotten if Scott Booth is able to bring in good replacements and we go on to have a successful season next year. I guess we'll just need to wait and see. But I think most of the supporters would like some sort of explanation as to why so many good players have all left Ochilview at the same time.

Sounds all very 'East Fife'.

And look how that ended up.

Realistically what decent players are going to come here to train 3 times a week? Certainly no established players so we will end up with a team of kids.

And look how that ended up.

Realistically what decent players are going to come here to train 3 times a week? Certainly no established players so we will end up with a team of kids.

FWIW I don't think asking semi-professional footballers to train three times a week (plus a game at the weekend), especially if you're paying them £100 - £300 a week, is unreasonable. I would assume most players at our level would go to the gym or do something on nights they're not training.

A work colleague of mine plays amateur level here in Austria, and he trains 3 nights a week, sometimes 4 when they have no game at the weekend, plus games. I don't think it is particularly unreasonable to ask players who are semi-professional to do the same thing.

That's some cull Stenny have had. I hope Booth has some decent players lined up as some of those that have been released have the potential to come back with another team and have blinders. I'm thinking Gemmell, Higgins and Devlin in particular.

Could end up being a disaster, could end up being brilliant, more likely we'll have a middling team as usual and finish mid table.

Best case scenario is we go with more than the usual quota of youth players and have a relatively large pool of money to attract quality players. Perhaps players that are unlucky to have been released by 1st division clubs may join us for a season as we might provide a better stepping stone to getting a contract with a first division club the following season.The same may be true of quality young SPL players.

The potenial negative is that players simply don't want to train an extra evening and so choose other 2nd division clubs over us, even for similar or less money. We could be left with a bunch of youngsters and/or absolute has beens.

I think the reality is that it will be somewhere in between.

Regardless, it will be a very interesting summer. Had we kept the same squad we knew we'd probably be battling for a play off spot. The uncertainty is at least a break from the norm. At least the pre season friendlies will be worth attending!

Guest Alessandro

For the avoidance of doubt.

Roscoe has not been let go.

He has a decision to make.

Archived