Euro Election May 22nd.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still have absolutely no idea what these elections are for or what it is MEPS actually get up to when they're at work. I mean, I understand they represent us in the European Parliament, but what does that mean in practical terms. What's their remit? How much power do they have? I tend to think that if it was actually important there'd be a campaign to get us to take it all a bit more seriously.

I could bring myself to vote for any of the main three parties, and while the Greens seem nice enough I disagree with them on lots of things, so I went for the Europeans Party, as they didn't seem to stand for anything obviously horrendous.

Thought it was my duty to vote as the more people that do increases the chance of the likes of the BNP losing their deposits (which at £5,000 a go isn't insignificant).

HB and Ad Lib talking about SNP policies in the correct forum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J5x9rsKYJw

Never thought I'd see this most monumental of days,

The Euro elections have absolutely nothing to do with Scottish Independence.

Bookmarked for when you're chugging yourself into a comma in the Indy forum if SNP don't do well.

f**k it, I'll vote SNP

Sarry Greens.

Edit: Actually f**k it. I despair when people go "a vote for x is a vote for y" and justify the totally undemocratic practice of not voting for who you actually agree with. Greens it is, Sarry SNP.

Update.

Voted SNP :lol:

Nae principles.

I still have absolutely no idea what these elections are for or what it is MEPS actually get up to when they're at work. I mean, I understand they represent us in the European Parliament, but what does that mean in practical terms. What's their remit? How much power do they have? I tend to think that if it was actually important there'd be a campaign to get us to take it all a bit more seriously.

I could bring myself to vote for any of the main three parties, and while the Greens seem nice enough I disagree with them on lots of things, so I went for the Europeans Party, as they didn't seem to stand for anything obviously horrendous.

Thought it was my duty to vote as the more people that do increases the chance of the likes of the BNP losing their deposits (which at £5,000 a go isn't insignificant).

Take a bit of time out of your day, to watch this discussion on the EU (and Scotland, shh it's an independence theme). The first hour focusses on what the EP does and how it operates while the second hour is more on Scotland's place within it. It's a pretty open format discussion with informed speakers, and is intellectually head and shoulders above the usual sort of commentary you would get on the telly.

* Trigger warning* Professor John Curtis is the chair.

Still, at least the Lib Dems can't lose their European deposits tonight for a no doubt hilarious showing - do they lose deposits on every England/Wales council seat they get drubbed in?

I'd vote for the Greens post-indy but I just feel that voting for them right now is "ineffectual".

So do I but my attitude is you should vote for who you agree with, regardless of outcome. At the end of the day, my vote isn't a decider for the 6th seat, it's the same as every vote and if a party fails to win a seat despite having highly popular policies, it's an affront to democracy.

Alas, I haven't stuck to my principles. If UKIP win the UK popular vote but get none in Scotland, it's a potentially excellent message for us a country and that's what I'm most interested in seeing here.

I was genuinely swaying on my way in and the SNP poster which had been half ripped off the rail outside helped me on my way :lol: Might've been a highly effective FALSE FLEG attack right enough.

There's honestly no point in voting for the rest if you support Scottish Independence.

This used to be my stance, but now we're getting the referendum I don't see the need to continue with it. In previous elections I voted SNP in order to get independence but even though we don't have it yet, the fact we're already getting a referendum means I voted for the party who have the most policies I agree with overall. I can see where people are coming from with the argument that a big share of the vote for the SNP here could act as a boost to the Yes campaign, but I don't believe that myself; tonight's going to make f**k all difference to September, for all that one side will claim it's an endorsement of their view if the SNP vote rises/collapses.

I went for the Greens.

Locked away till Sunday night.

So no point in sitting up all night long then to watch the the results come in with that mixture of fear, dread and anticipation.

One thing won't change. Whatever the results are, every party will claim some kind of victory.

Archived