Euro Election May 22nd.

I just got my polling card today for the Euro Elections on May 22nd and I'm are puzzled by a note on the card which says "You do not need to take this card with you in order to vote"

The card has a Register Number, and an address for the polling station. My question is if you turn up at said polling station without your card how will anyone know who you are? Obviously they will ask, and tick your name off a list, but what's to stop you claiming to be your next door neighbour? Especially if you know they are unlikely to vote!

I've been on the Electoral Commission website but couldn't find any answers for my question, but I did find this on a BBC Election site :

You can go to your nearest polling station on 22 May. It is normally a local school or community centre - the location will be on your polling card. You do not need to take the polling card with you in order to vote. A member of staff will give you a ballot paper with a list of candidates and parties on it. Put a cross in the box next to the ones you want to vote for. If you can't make it to the polling station you can apply for a postal vote - check the Electoral Commission website for details. You can get someone to vote for you if you have a specific reason that you can't do it in person, such as a disability or being overseas. You can apply for a long-term proxy vote on the Electoral Commission website. To vote by proxy for just one election, you must have a reason, such as illness or being away with work. If you are suddenly incapacitated or taken ill, you can apply to vote by proxy for medical reasons up until 5pm on polling day.

I must be missing something, somewhere. What's to stop anyone voting several times in this election?

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be missing something, somewhere. What's to stop anyone voting several times in this election?

The fact that no-one gives a f**k.

I might vote twice, double the turnout.

I just got my polling card today for the Euro Elections on May 22nd and I'm are puzzled by a note on the card which says "You do not need to take this card with you in order to vote"

The card has a Register Number, and an address for the polling station. My question is if you turn up at said polling station without your card how will anyone know who you are? Obviously they will ask, and tick your name off a list, but what's to stop you claiming to be your next door neighbour? Especially if you know they are unlikely to vote!

I've been on the Electoral Commission website but couldn't find any answers for my question, but I did find this on a BBC Election site :

You can go to your nearest polling station on 22 May. It is normally a local school or community centre - the location will be on your polling card. You do not need to take the polling card with you in order to vote. A member of staff will give you a ballot paper with a list of candidates and parties on it. Put a cross in the box next to the ones you want to vote for. If you can't make it to the polling station you can apply for a postal vote - check the Electoral Commission website for details. You can get someone to vote for you if you have a specific reason that you can't do it in person, such as a disability or being overseas. You can apply for a long-term proxy vote on the Electoral Commission website. To vote by proxy for just one election, you must have a reason, such as illness or being away with work. If you are suddenly incapacitated or taken ill, you can apply to vote by proxy for medical reasons up until 5pm on polling day.

You won't get away with that over here - you need an (approved) form of photographic ID in order to vote.

The days of "Vote early and vote often" are gone! :lol:

You won't get away with that over here - you need an (approved) form of photographic ID in order to vote.

The days of "Vote early and vote often" are gone! :lol:

Not the way it worked when I was in Holy Cross in Ardoyne about 1985/86.

Sinn Fein fed me that day, (although they had no idea who I was, (I hope), hence the free sarnies), and the RUC ran me home in a landrover via a barrage of bricks and petrol bombs afterwards, dropping me off about twenty yards the other side of the peaceline.

And people wonder why I fecked off to the Middle East to work?

Not the way it worked when I was in Holy Cross in Ardoyne about 1985/86.

Sinn Fein fed me that day, (although they had no idea who I was, (I hope), hence the free sarnies), and the RUC ran me home in a landrover via a barrage of bricks and petrol bopmbs afterwards, dropping me off about twenty yards the other side of the peaceline.

And people wonder why I fecked off to the Middle East to work?

The rules for voting have been tightened up since then. A bit more difficult for dead people to vote now - not impossible, just more difficult. :lol:

That was my only experience behind enemy lines - I normally did Carr's Glenn or Wheatfield Primary Schools.

At least then I knew the people who were voting several times. ;)

:lol: First electon I voted at here I went along with a workmate, who then went and voted again using his father's vote!

I think I'll use the vote of the old lady next door- she'll be too busy catching up on all the newspapers and envelopes clogging up her letterbox and drinking all those pints of milk on her doorstep...

What's to stop anyone voting several times in this election?

Very little.

Fraud is unlikely to happen in the Euros cos you need over 100,000 votes to get in. Local elections, by-elections and general elections are fiddled something chronic though. For example: at one by-election in Fife where the sitting council were Labour, party activists were given the keys to all the empty council houses and flats and told to go looking for polling cards that may have been delivered to departed tenants. Any that were found were used to vote for the Labour candidate.

They tick off your name and address against a list.

They tick off your name and address against a list.

The card has a Register Number, and an address for the polling station. My question is if you turn up at said polling station without your card how will anyone know who you are? Obviously they will ask, and tick your name off a list, but what's to stop you claiming to be your next door neighbour? Especially if you know they are unlikely to vote![/size]

If they suspect attempted voter fraud, they'll probably ask you for ID. Otherwise there is virtually no protection. If the other person subsequently shows up, though, and they have them down as already having voted, they can trace the ballot by its unique identifier and exclude it, and provide them with another ballot with which to vote.

This is the one election where most of us would welcome a Loony candidate on the ballot paper, as this election appears to mean f**k-all to anyone.

I noticed that even the SNP just used an existing Pro-Yes video for their Euro election party broadcast slot. Couldn't give a flying f***.

Archived