Broomhill Sports Club

Broomhill Ultra

Saracen Park is nowhere near 56 metres wide,thats 61 yards!

That means there should be 12.5 yards either side of the penalty box,take a look at the pics.

Its no more than 6 or 7 yards from the edge of the box to the touchline.

Its about 10 yards too narrow for entry level.

Someones making it up or telling lies.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahaha broomhill ultra you have probably noticed that all they do on this site is moan about football pitch measurements and football pitch surfaces and one day they might actually start talking about football its self

Someones making it up or telling lies.

That's a fairly bold statement.

Saracen Park is nowhere near 56 metres wide,thats 61 yards!

That means there should be 12.5 yards either side of the penalty box,take a look at the pics.

Its no more than 6 or 7 yards from the edge of the box to the touchline.

You've forgotten the width of the goal :lol:!! There should be 8.5 yards either side of the penalty box, not 12.5 yards.

Anyone can do themselves what I did with the directly overhead shot on Google earth, with nothing more than a ruler and decent eyesight.

We have fixed dimensions known to us... a penalty box is 18 yards deep and 44 yards wide, a 6 yard box is (unsurprisingly) 6 yards deep.

It appears to me fairly clear that the gap between the penalty box and the sideline is about 1.5x that of the depth of the 6 yard box, no?

I'm not claiming its exact but it's not going to be far off and the apparent dimensions doing that match almost exactly with what they've said.

I also return to the point I made earlier. Taking off the tinfoil hats and pausing momentarily.

If their pitch cannot make licensing - which is what people are steering at - why would they apply using it, and why would they be admitted?

Moreover, why would they then come out to publicly clarify its dimensions? I'm no mastermind but that would seem a fairly dumb strategy.

Even if the park wasn't wide enough - or long enough - they have a whole year to do whatever works might be needed to extend it if as the news article says they're at Saracen Park for 3yrs. But I'm not seeing what is causing people to decry the existing field.

The level of detail is impressive ekfc!

I went past the high school rugby ground today at anniesland - tidy wee stand that would easily accommodate biggest likely crowds, local to the current membership of BSC, excellent for transport. Nothing against possil but would something like that not make more sense as a temporary home?

That's a fairly bold statement.

You've forgotten the width of the goal :lol:!! There should be 8.5 yards either side of the penalty box, not 12.5 yards.

Anyone can do themselves what I did with the directly overhead shot on Google earth, with nothing more than a ruler and decent eyesight.

We have fixed dimensions known to us... a penalty box is 18 yards deep and 44 yards wide, a 6 yard box is (unsurprisingly) 6 yards deep.

It appears to me fairly clear that the gap between the penalty box and the sideline is about 1.5x that of the depth of the 6 yard box, no?

I'm not claiming its exact but it's not going to be far off and the apparent dimensions doing that match almost exactly with what they've said.

I also return to the point I made earlier. Taking off the tinfoil hats and pausing momentarily.

If their pitch cannot make licensing - which is what people are steering at - why would they apply using it, and why would they be admitted?

Moreover, why would they then come out to publicly clarify its dimensions? I'm no mastermind but that would seem a fairly dumb strategy.

No tin foil hats required. Most people in the Juniors know the Ashfield pitch to be one of the tightest in the Junior game, so I guess claims that it meets licensing requirements do raise a few eyebrows.

The level of detail is impressive ekfc!

I went past the high school rugby ground today at anniesland - tidy wee stand that would easily accommodate biggest likely crowds, local to the current membership of BSC, excellent for transport. Nothing against possil but would something like that not make more sense as a temporary home?

When I heard you were using a school for games I assumed it was that one and it would be the home park.

We`ve played a couple of pre -season friendlies at that rugby ground.

The problem there from what I heard is that the residents are not to keen on football being played there as its at the end of a narrow street which is a dead end and there is no parking.

We`ve played a couple of pre -season friendlies at that rugby ground.

The problem there from what I heard is that the residents are not to keen on football being played there as its at the end of a narrow street which is a dead end and there is no parking.

Think the high school has a decent sized car park beside it, are you thinking of the one opposite gartnavel? Plenty of rugby clubs nearby now I think about it. If we were to get a big game in the cup then could move tie but otherwise they would be plenty big enough I would think. Wish the bankies were in this, been to quite a few games the last few seasons and would go to more if in LL.

My new local team, my son plays for them (under 10's) and a man named Moyes is heavily involved, what can possibly go wrong?

I'm genuinely intrigued at how this is going to work out - anyone have any idea where they will play - Scotstoun? They used to be an unofficial feeder for Partick IIRC but is now Carlisle Utd so don't think they would use Firhill. One thing I do know is Broomy fans will make Jags regulars look like a bunch of hardened ned's - we're talking frappacino's and an organic fair trade crepe in place of pie and bovril during the half time interlude.

Kenny Moyes one time Thistle youth & brother of Davie. The Carlisle connection would be Davie Irons.

Think the high school has a decent sized car park beside it, are you thinking of the one opposite gartnavel? Plenty of rugby clubs nearby now I think about it. If we were to get a big game in the cup then could move tie but otherwise they would be plenty big enough I would think. Wish the bankies were in this, been to quite a few games the last few seasons and would go to more if in LL.

Speaking of which. If you can get in renting a dodgy junior park, why can't Clydebank?

I'm happy to say that Haddington have formally written to the SFA, with membership fee, stating their ambition to get a licence. Very early days and "many a slip 'twixt cup and lip" and all that but the first step on the road. Watch this space

I forgot to mention that this is good news, good luck in your attempts.

Did Clydebank apply?

Not that I know of, but Broomhill have the same problems regarding a ground, whichbseem to have been overlooked. There will be other issues I'd think though. One being leaving a decent league for a poor one that the SPFL decide might not actually get promoted from after all.

Not that I know of, but Broomhill have the same problems regarding a ground, which seem to have been overlooked. There will be other issues I'd think though. One being leaving a decent league for a poor one that the SPFL decide might not actually get promoted from after all.

For all the reasons I have stated before, you are making a judgement on this league far too early.

We have all watched an exciting first league campaign which will grow and improve as the improved funding allows.

On a more serious note, BSC look like a good advert for a community determined to improve local facilities regardless of the apathy or local councils and existing sporting dinosaurs. This is the way forward - lots of existing clubs are gong to fall by the wayside because they've taken SFA money/local supporters & sponsors for granted.

I am annoyed that ambitious Duns and Coldstream have not been allowed in, but good luck to the two that made the grade. As for the junior clubs, have to admit that before I started reading Pie and Bovril, I don't think the term crossed my mind more than once or twice a year. Just not part of football culture down here. Whether they deserve to be part of the nation's football culture at all, I doubt, as they don't seem to have much of a plan to improve football from grassroots up.

To be honest, non league football in the Borders is barely on my radar - I've only noticed it when the junior teams have been beating them in the Scottish Cup. I fail to see how you can make any judgement whatsoever on a group of clubs when you admit to knowing next to nothing about them. Linlithgow Rose are part of a huge community club. Bo'ness Utd have strong links to developing football in the community. Broxburn and Bonnyrigg are both at the centre of community football. Further down the league, Blackburn and Haddington are in a similar position. The league structure (and the desire ... or lack of it) to join a different league structure has absolutely nothing to do with where we are positioned in our community. Junior football grew up as a community based game playing in more local league structures. Take a wee trip over to Auchinleck and see for yourself whether they are an integral part of the community they play from. They've got a cracking ground, they're upgrading all the time, they have a support which will regularly consist of between 10% and 20% of the entire population of the place attending their games. And you think they don't deserve to be part of the nation's football culture??? That's lazy, generalised, ill informed nonsense I'm afraid.

Apologies for just jumping into the Broomhill thread - I'll scuttle off now.

No tin foil hats required. Most people in the Juniors know the Ashfield pitch to be one of the tightest in the Junior game, so I guess claims that it meets licensing requirements do raise a few eyebrows.

Definitely, although it appears to have been widened very slightly from a couple of years ago. Watched an Ashfield game there a couple of weeks ago which still seemed like a 90 minute succession of throw-ins though.

Archived