Broomhill Sports Club

Broomhill Ultra

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Broomhill wouldn't expect to draw fans from the north of the city though at least initially even if they temporarily play at Saracen. The west end and city centre is a bit empty of clubs : thistle and maryhill juniors to the north and clydebank and yoker to the west but other than that? Bearsden, milngavie, knightswood, anniesland, Partick, drumchapel etc etc if a way could be found to convince people BSC is their local team then that is a significant potential catchment. Big if though clearly and especially to start from nothing.

Surely Broomhill moving in to Scotstoun is the only solution. Broomhill at Ashfield would not make sense. You can expect to capture support if you are planning to move again soon.

Scotstoun is a commonwealth venue and the warriors seem to be getting relatively healthy crowds so I don't see the council being up for that at present tbh. Was my first thought also.

I suppose it's possible that broomhill have plans in place to use scotstoun post commonwealths leaving them with a ground suitable for licensing ready for may.

http://slfl.co.uk/2014/05/bsc-glasgow-introduction/

intro on BSC, seems like 3 years at Saracen Park and are in negotiations with the council regarding their own place. Doesn't answer some of the questions on this thread but they seem nice enough.

So apparently the pitch is ok for licencing, I hope they actually measured it because it sure doesn't look that big!

BSC Glasgow will kick off next season on the grass pitch at Saracen Park that is ninety two meters in length and fifty six meters wide.

And according to the licensing criteria:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/ClubLicensing/2014/Prt%202%20Sct%205%20-%20Ground.pdf

Field Dimensions
The field must be a minimum of
90m in length and 56m in width
Best practice is 105x68m.
So they just scrape in OK on that, if their measurements are correct. Think that means after you do the unit conversion that they need just under 9 yards from the penalty box out to the each touchline. Looks a bit dubious to me when the six-yard box is used to gain perspective:

From Google it looks like a very tight fit.

The IAAF (an international athletics federation) notes that the minimum distance between the touchline and goal line and edge of a running track should be 1 metre. This is a non-legilative, sensible and reasonable safety recommendation. The corners of the pitch shown on Google almost touch the speedway track. Is this reasonable and safe? Are the SFA and the home club and all the players who will be playing on the pitch content with this level of safety and reasonableness? Not having a specification from a footballing governing body (i.e. "Well, no one has stated it has to be a metre of any other distance between touch and goal line and track edge") does not get rid of the potential unsafe state of the corners of the pitch. The question is "Is the distance between touch lines and goal lines and cinder track edge safe for adults, playing at this level of football? By the way, the IAAF state 5 metres for international matches. 2- 3 metres seem about right and reasonable in this situation in this stadium between a touch line and a cinder track.

Similarly, if any barrier is to be put up around the playing surface then it must be 1.83 metres distance from goal lines and touch lines - all around the pitch. It is not clear if a barrier is required at this stadium - from the photo.

So they just scrape in OK on that, if their measurements are correct. Think that means after you do the unit conversion that they need just under 9 yards from the penalty box out to the each touchline. Looks a bit dubious to me when the six-yard box is used to gain perspective:

I have a ruler to hand and on my computer screen using the direct overshead shot the 6 yard box is 8mm deep, and the gap between the penalty box and sideline is 12mm, which would mean 9 yards, which would mean the pitch is 62 yards wide (57 metres)... In case the next conspiracy theory is the length of the pitch, the penalty box is 25mm deep, and the pitch is 138mm long, which would mean the pitch is 100 yards long (91m).

They say 56m x 92m.

I'll allow myself 1 yards tolerance...

Not that this discussion really needs to go on... they are hardly going to apply if the pitch isn't wide enough, be admitted if the pitch isn't wide enough, and then actually come out themselves and publically state the pitch is wide enough, if it isn't.

Are the SFA and the home club and all the players who will be playing on the pitch content with this level of safety and reasonableness? Not having a specification from a footballing governing body (i.e. "Well, no one has stated it has to be a metre of any other distance between touch and goal line and track edge") does not get rid of the potential unsafe state of the corners of the pitch. The question is "Is the distance between touch lines and goal lines and cinder track edge safe for adults, playing at this level of football?

Similarly, if any barrier is to be put up around the playing surface then it must be 1.83 metres distance from goal lines and touch lines - all around the pitch. It is not clear if a barrier is required at this stadium - from the photo.

It's been safe enough for Ashfield to play on for years since the current speedway track got laid? There are no minimum dimensions of run-off areas required for Entry or Bronze licensing. There isn't even a yard grass between the touchline at Shielfield and our speedway track.

I don't see why they'd have to fence-in the pitch, there isn't a railing around Shielfields pitch or in athletics stadiums.

I'd love someone to actually go an measure the pitch from touchline to touchline!

I also believe that SFA regulations state that the touchline must not be any closer than 3 metres (or something similar) from the pitchside barrier. Not sure if this is relevant to tracks.

I have a ruler to hand and on my computer screen using the direct overshead shot the 6 yard box is 8mm deep, and the gap between the penalty box and sideline is 12mm, which would mean 9 yards, which would mean the pitch is 62 yards wide (57 metres)... In case the next conspiracy theory is the length of the pitch, the penalty box is 25mm deep, and the pitch is 138mm long, which would mean the pitch is 100 yards long (91m).

They say 56m x 92m.

I'll allow myself 1 yards tolerance...

Not that this discussion really needs to go on... they are hardly going to apply if the pitch isn't wide enough, be admitted if the pitch isn't wide enough, and then actually come out themselves and publically state the pitch is wide enough, if it isn't.

Not wishing to question the accuracy of your ruler, someone back on page 2 stated;

"Saracen Park's speedway track is 319 metres.

A running track is 400 metres. A football pitch inside a 400 running track will allow a pitch width of at least 55 metres, depending on the length of the pitch. A football pitch inside a 319 ash track will allow a pitch width of - deary me! - around 51 metres. "

Not sure how accurate that is.

You need a grass verge outside the pitch so the 5% cinder thing wouldn't work. I suspect what has happened at Saracen Park in recent times is that they have shortened the pitch so that they can widen it by taking it away from the curved ends of the speedway track.

4945b1e40d5065c5f1c8413ec0c66c93.jpg

I also believe that SFA regulations state that the touchline must not be any closer than 3 metres (or something similar) from the pitchside barrier. Not sure if this is relevant to tracks.

Shielfield is Bronze licenced, we'll be lucky if the run-off is even half of that, particularly on the Main Stand side. Saracen Park's actually look much wider down the sides.

DSC04959.JPG

DSC04960.JPG

DSC04953.JPG

There aren't any dimensions of "Area Surrounding the Field" at Bronze/Entry. And track specifications only apply from Silver up.

Section 5.5 here:

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/resources/documents/ClubLicensing/2014/Prt%202%20Sct%205%20-%20Ground.pdf

I'm only going on what we were advised when building our new ground, 3 metres between touchline and barrier for player safety requirements, or something like that. I guess that isn't retrospective, and I guess that doesn't apply to tracks at our level.

Any mathematician know how wide a pitch you can get inside a 319 metre speedway track?

Any mathematician know how wide a pitch you can get inside a 319 metre speedway track?

Complicated further by the fact that the speedway track measurement should be using a line 1m from the track boundary :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_speedway#Track

Aye athletic tracks are measure 20cm from the inside boundary.

Found this;

The area inside the [400m] track is large enough to accommodate all throwing events and also a standard soccer pitch (68m x 105m).

So using some basic maffs, the width inside a 319 metre track would equate to around 54m, sound right?

I know nothing about speedway but given - going by the previous poster's figures - that tracks don't have to be the same length, must they be of a uniform arrangement i.e. 1/4 of the length down each straight and 1/4 of the length off each end in the form of a perfect arc, and uniformly wide all way round? An athletics track must be, but it may not be so in speedway. If not, you could get a variety of 319m tracks with various length of straights / diameter of bends.

Aye athletic tracks are measure 20cm from the inside boundary.

Found this;

The area inside the [400m] track is large enough to accommodate all throwing events and also a standard soccer pitch (68m x 105m).

So using some basic maffs, the width inside a 319 metre track would equate to around 54m, sound right?

Assuming for simplicity that the football touchlines are concident with the track straight insides and semi-circles starting and ending at the corner flags, the Saracen Park measurements would give you an track edge measurement of (92 x 2) + (56 x π) = 359.84m. Measuring 1m inside the track would of course give you a larger value

The same calculation for the standard pitch is (105 x 2) + (68 x π) = 423.52m

Can't be using a full half-circle at the ends

Edited: From the pictures, I think I can see where my assumptions may be falling over. The track straight isn't the length of the touchline.

I'm only going on what we were advised when building our new ground, 3 metres between touchline and barrier for player safety requirements, or something like that. I guess that isn't retrospective, and I guess that doesn't apply to tracks at our level.

Well clearly a player running full pelt into a barrier is going to cause them more damage than them having to slow down as they reach the track. I would say using the track as a run off area is perfectly ok.

Archived