Broomhill Sports Club

Broomhill Ultra

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the people running the club are very ambitious and it's come a long way very quickly - interesting then that the name focuses on Glasgow rather than Broomhill I would say possibly seen as a good way to begin to attract people who don't know much about either the LL or Juniors but want to see a local team they can easily identify with, moderate OF fans could be attracted with a green and blue strip?

Burnie, I'm struggling to think of many games we had less than 100 at this season, however I will grant that we would like to get more. Hoping the publicity in the Sun will help get more attention.

I don't think Ashfield is a permanent solution. I'd hazard a guess at it being a single season there as they work on their own ground. They will have been visited, probably more than once, so those in charge must have seen something. Let's be honest, turkey's are turkey's no matter what the league and therefore they won't have voted in something they fear could be bad for the league.

Rather than sneer lets see what comes of it. EK are superb and one of the better supported teams in the LL.

Not sneering, mainly raising valid points. Their inclusion IMO is puzzling and does not do the reputation of the LL any good. I hope they prove me wrong.

I think we can all agree that the LL board must know something we don't. Lets see what happens over the coming months too. I too have reservations and concerns but lets not condemn them before they've even got going.

I think we can all agree that the LL board must know something we don't. Lets see what happens over the coming months too. I too have reservations and concerns but lets not condemn them before they've even got going.

Tbf I get the impression it's the LL that is being criticised rather than BSC Glasgow.

I think everyone will just need to cut them some slack and see how they get on. In this instant media age, it's easy to analyse everything too fast.

On the one hand, it's perfectly fair for eyebrows to be raised - they have never played a game at adult level, so they're going to have to populate a team from scratch and grow a crowd from the foundations up, and they're going to have to get licensed in little over a year.

On the otherhand, they surely wouldn't have been let in if there isn't confidence they can achieve it, and the club is big in terms of its set-up and they've secured a stadium.

On Monday people were criticising the admission of a club using an open playing field and a homeless club with all kinds of theories being banded about regarding their venue. Well, here were are 2 days later and BSC have clarified they've got a stadium and it turns-out that Edinburgh University are about to build what should be a very neat little arena.

You can also look at East Kilbride who were also criticised as being johnny-come-lately's to the football world, squadless (bar 1 player), and fanbaseless.

They have done very well in their first season, performing on the pitch and starting to grow a support. Time will tell if BSC Glasgow can do the same.

With 3 months from now to August there will no doubt be a huge vacuum for speculation until a ball is kicked. It's a move from left-field but judge it in time, IMO.

In fairness East Kilbride had an infrastructure and park developed over many years at amateur level, which is somewhat different to this Broomhill application.

I'm sorry, I dont mean to sound miserable or uncharitable and I wish Broomhill all the best, but I'm afraid it doesn't do much for the credibility of the Lowland league as the senior non-league tier of Scottish football.

anyway, as you say, the decision is made now and we will just have to see how it works out.

So will BSC need their own ground within a certain period or could they be permanent tenants?

You mean for licensing etc.?

Clubs don't need to own their ground, no - e.g. East Stirlingshire have been at Ochilview for years, others lease.

No no no. I hate that kind of twee crap.

Me too ordinarily but they are going to need to quickly find football fans to watch them and to start with they are all going to be fans with a 'big' team (obviously not just OF) as BSC literally doesn't exist as an adult club or even team at present.

I think they'll do fine in terms of drawing a home support, if they can engage with their youth teams and dish out free or really cheap tickets (say £10 season tickets or all under 16s free with a paying adult) then they could grab a comparatively huge amount of youngsters who might grow up and end up supporting the club. There's also a real passion for football in Glasgow which would lead to a lot of guys heading along when their 'big' team have a week off.

You mean for licensing etc.?

Clubs don't need to own their ground, no - e.g. East Stirlingshire have been at Ochilview for years, others lease.

Cheers, so what had stopped the likes of clydebank applying, just the belief that the LL is significantly poorer than the juniors or would Holm park cost too much to get licensable? Aware it's not their own ground.

Cheers, so what had stopped the likes of clydebank applying, just the belief that the LL is significantly poorer than the juniors or would Holm park cost too much to get licensable? Aware it's not their own ground.

There has been plenty debate over why junior clubs haven't applied. Plenty of reasons have been given but It essentially boils down to the mon eh juniors.

I've long since given up looking for logic when it comes to Scottish football, but the Edinburgh Uni success is a difficult one to understand. Another Edinburgh side with no support and, at the moment, no park to speak of. Even a successful side like Spartans has hardly captured the locals' imagination. And what of the history of Meadowbank, a team that were a ba' hair from the Premier League (or whatever it was then), who couldn't stir the population of Auld Reekie from their firesides in anything like respectable numbers? Just what were Edin Uni's selling points? What were the election committee looking for?

I can almost understand the election of Stirling Uni to the LL, as they have a major sports-based curriculum area to tap into (as do League of Ireland side UCD in Dublin), but is this the case with Edinburgh?

With Broomhill (no experience at a level other than age-group football and no park....WTF!!!), there is at least the stretched logic that the LL want to expand their geographical pull to include Scotland's powerhouse, Glasgow,...if little else of Broomhill's election makes sense. I can confidently predict that there will be no mass exodus from the douce suburbs around Broomhill on a Saturday to support their lads at decidedly undouce Ashfield.

With the Juniors turning their back on the LL, we have a fifth tier with almost no presence of what could be classed fifth tier clubs south of the Tay. That's not meant to be deprecating on the likes of Spartans, although it might sound like it.

As regards the very reasonable point being made about having a year-long consultation period...firstly, the Juniors aren't interested, so a year or ten years wouldn't have made a difference. Secondly, on the very major changes that were (ahem) negotiated between the SPL and the SFL last year, quite often the papers for meetings were distributed the day before a meeting, making it almost impossible for the proposals to be discussed properly by boards. So, looking for a perfectly reasonable time to digest everything and then ponder on it was always going to be a non-starter.

As I've said before, the pyramid is Regan's vanity project. All we can do is hope that the thing is as successful as the limitations allow.

No one seems to have picked up on the tweet that first announced the stadium arrangement saying that they will "initially" groundshare. Hopefully that means they have long term plans for their own stadium.

There's also a real passion for football in Glasgow which would lead to a lot of guys heading along when their 'big' team have a week off.

Discounting this season, we've been dishing up terrific football for a good number of years and we haven't seen any real interest from the non-QP public, even when we've been charging kids and OAPs £2. Truth is, punters would rather watch halfwits gibbering on Sky in the pub than make the effort to attend a game.

Discounting this season, we've been dishing up terrific football for a good number of years and we haven't seen any real interest from the non-QP public, even when we've been charging kids and OAPs £2. Truth is, punters would rather watch halfwits gibbering on Sky in the pub than make the effort to attend a game.

Yep the times of clubs being able to significantly able to draw any significant amount of their support from fans of other teams is probably over. Broomhill are going to have to grow their own support. They have little hope of one week having Celtic fans in and the next rangers.

Archived