Who is the worst manager your club have ever had?

My vote goes to Pat Stanton, closely followed by Tam Forsyth and Davie Hay. Some utter shite played under these 3, all of who had played at the highest level. My favourite sides were the 78,79 Harry Melrose team and of course the Bert Paton promotion side. Munro and Scott were poor board decisions, Kenny was on a loser almost straight away although one of my favourite ever games was versus Motherwell under Kenny so he gets away with it.

My vote goes to Pat Stanton, closely followed by Tam Forsyth and Davie Hay. Some utter shite played under these 3, all of who had played at the highest level. My favourite sides were the 78,79 Harry Melrose team and of course the Bert Paton promotion side. Munro and Scott were poor board decisions, Kenny was on a loser almost straight away although one of my favourite ever games was versus Motherwell under Kenny so he gets away with it.

Stanton wasted a shed load of money. Considine was, IIRC £35K, Derek Rodier was another waste of cash and as for his youth policy - the Dall brothers, Gavin Tait, a hellish full back from Linlithgow Rose, truly awful players who quickly found their true level in the juniors. The Pars directors showed real ambition at that time but made a wrong choice in Stanton.

Aye, or Belgium

Did Billy Stark ever win a game in the end?

Took us from the foot of the 1st Division to safety, beating SPL Dundee at home in the cup and gubbing St. Mirren 5-1 at Love St. (with 10 men) in one of the finest days of the last 25 years.

Started the following season promisingly but Hugh Scott sold and dismantled much of his team. We fell away and he left (having had his hands tied) after a 6-2 humping in Inverness.

Allan Moore. Tactically clueless with no plan b. dismantled the team every year and started from scratch. I think the season we finished second in the first was more due to the experienced players in the squad rather than that turnip.

Did he not lose his first 9 games or something?

No.

Took over in time for a home 3-1 defeat by Raith, which had the home fans yelling at defender Brian Reid to GTF.

We then picked up one point from the next three (a 1-1 draw at home to Ayr) before winning three of the next four, one of which saw Duffield scoring on his debut in a 3-0 win over the skunks. We had a decent finish to the season after our traditional defensive winter shut down.

• 4 weeks later...

We haven't had anyone you could class as good since ally McLeod, burley done ok, Daziel sent a fortune had some decent teams but still couldn't win the first, Brian Reid again ok compared to the rest of the utter dross that have managed Ayr over the last 30 years

I agree with everything you say apart from Burley doing okay. The support was unanimous in wanting him out after some seriously dire results. You must remember the demonstrations. He was also applying for other jobs on the fly.

• 5 years later...
12 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Well that was a bit of a bump.

Wonder why he was hunting for worst manager threads? It’s a mystery.

Then he picks John Lambie. Did he relegate Falkirk to the seaside league?