It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Pride of Lanarkshire

• 2 weeks later...

"I got your test results! You're positive! You've got the HIV! Yes, AIDS, big time! You've got the AIDS, big time!"

Genuinely impossible for me to watch that scene in The D.E.N.N.I.S. System and not burst out laughing, even though I know exactly what's coming. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The first series is poor. It gets a lot better once De Vito is involved.
When you look back at the first one it's actually really good as well. But that's when you have a better understanding of what the characters are like.

• 1 month later...

I have been binge watching this, for the first time, over the last few weeks. 

Onto season 7 now and absolutely loving it, and it just seems to be getting better and better. 

Already in S7 there has been - the staged baby funeral, the Jersey Shore montage, and the whole child pageant episode. 

"These young entertainers, who I am not attracted to AT ALL!"

Onto season 7 now and absolutely loving it, and it just seems to be getting better and better. 
Already in S7 there has been - the staged baby funeral, the Jersey Shore montage, and the whole child pageant episode. 

"We need to make a song. Urm, 'I wouldn't do it with anyone younger than my daaaughter'"

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
16 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

"We need to make a song. Urm, 'I wouldn't do it with anyone younger than my daaaughter'"

"There is no quicker way to make people think you are diddling kids by writing a song about it."

Charlie & Frank's living situation is hilarious as well - especially when Sweet Dee has 'to walk a mile in Charlie's shoes' and Frank storms in and shovels his cat food down.

Edited by Steve_Wilkos

"There is no quicker way to make people think you are diddling kids by writing a song about it."
Charlie & Frank's living situation is hilarious as well - especially when Sweet Dee has 'to walk a mile in Charlie's shoes' and Frank storms in and shovels his cat food down.
That 5 seconds of Frank running in is so simple yet so funny and on many levels. Just superb.

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-renewed-for-historic-season-18-2836909

"Fake news" surely? I mean I'm a complete fanboy and if it's true I'll be over the moon. But the longer shows go on the quality is likely to dip. It's a big risk for a network not to renew year to year at this stage? On top of that, wee Danny is getting on a bit and could be dead by the time 18 comes around!

Edited to add - bothered to look elsewhere and it appears it's true. Holy f**k :o

6 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-renewed-for-historic-season-18-2836909

"Fake news" surely? I mean I'm a complete fanboy and if it's true I'll be over the moon. But the longer shows go on the quality is likely to dip. It's a big risk for a network not to renew year to year at this stage? On top of that, wee Danny is getting on a bit and could be dead by the time 18 comes around!

Edited to add - bothered to look elsewhere and it appears it's true. Holy f**k :o

Delighted. Even if the quality eventually declines, which it will, it'd still be one of the better shows on TV. The gang aren't that young themselves these days and are stars in their own right so when Danny De Vito passes they can probably eek out a season of adventures on that alone (which is what De Vito would definitely want).

Delighted. Even if the quality eventually declines, which it will, it'd still be one of the better shows on TV. The gang aren't that young themselves these days and are stars in their own right so when Danny De Vito passes they can probably eek out a season of adventures on that alone (which is what De Vito would definitely want).
For me it needs all of them. I know some folk don't like Frank as much but the 'Bromance' with him and Charlie works so well and I think Charlie would be at a loose end as a character without him now. You can't split up the gruesome twosome!

I've found with the newer ones that on first viewing they don't appear to be as funny but I think it's because my expectations are that high. Once I give them a second viewing they are as good as the earlier episodes. It definitely hasn't jumped the shark yet and long may the show continue.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

For me it needs all of them. I know some folk don't like Frank as much but the 'Bromance' with him and Charlie works so well and I think Charlie would be at a loose end as a character without him now. You can't split up the gruesome twosome!

I've found with the newer ones that on first viewing they don't appear to be as funny but I think it's because my expectations are that high. Once I give them a second viewing they are as good as the earlier episodes. It definitely hasn't jumped the shark yet and long may the show continue.

I loved the first series without Frank tbf. He obviously adds massively to the show but as long as they don't shoehorn a replacement in if they keep going when he does, then I reckon it could survive.

I absolutely detested the Noir episode. I thought that and the sing along episode were verging on jumping the shark but they quickly recovered.

Delighted. Even if the quality eventually declines, which it will

I'm not too sure about that. Firstly, if it's not declined by now, I'm not sure it ever will.

Secondly, most sitcoms decline in quality because key members leave or want to leave. I don't see any of them wanting out, if they did they wouldn't have signed a four year deal. The creators are the actors and they're committed for the long term. The show isn't getting in the way of any Hollywood careers like it did for Aniston or Carell and no one involved is as temperamental as Larry David. Nobody's using Always Sunny as a stepping stone.

Thirdly, the other reason for decline in sitcom quality is when they develop the characters too far. Sunny is not shadowing reality and having their characters involved in meaningful relationships and bringing up children, they've been a bunch of animals since season one any they always will be.

• 2 weeks later...