It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Pride of Lanarkshire

Doing another run through from the start. I always think S1 has a slightly different feel to it but from the very first scene it sets the tone of the entire show:-

Dee: (Tells us she's met a new BF and asking the guys to behave) Sometimes you guys aren't too cool.

*Black man enters*

Dennis: Oh hey man, we're closed.

Man: Yeah, I know.

Mac: Oh woah, woah we don't want any trouble!

Dee: Guys, this is Terrell.

[emoji38]

Posted on the Netflix thread I’ve just started watching this, after being told by my pal for literally years that it’s a brilliant programme, and would be right up my street. 

Only read the first couple of pages of this thread as I don’t want to see any spoilers, but I fear I may have inadvertently done that off my own back. I went to season 14 and watched the first few minutes of an episode to see how it compared to season 1, if the standard had kept up through to the newest episodes. One of the charms I found with season 1 was how ‘raw’ the production was, the story line and comedic performance of the actors was enough. It may just have been the HD cameras, increased budget and the more polished production that comes with being a successful show, but from what I seen of that latest episode it goes too far towards that sort of US, overly scripted and not very funny, comedy that I don’t particularly enjoy. Will still watch it through, as I’ve enjoyed the first season more than any comedy I’ve seen for a long time. 

Posted on the Netflix thread I’ve just started watching this, after being told by my pal for literally years that it’s a brilliant programme, and would be right up my street. 

Only read the first couple of pages of this thread as I don’t want to see any spoilers, but I fear I may have inadvertently done that off my own back. I went to season 14 and watched the first few minutes of an episode to see how it compared to season 1, if the standard had kept up through to the newest episodes. One of the charms I found with season 1 was how ‘raw’ the production was, the story line and comedic performance of the actors was enough. It may just have been the HD cameras, increased budget and the more polished production that comes with being a successful show, but from what I seen of that latest episode it goes too far towards that sort of US, overly scripted and not very funny, comedy that I don’t particularly enjoy. Will still watch it through, as I’ve enjoyed the first season more than any comedy I’ve seen for a long time. 

S14 is probably a truer reflection of the overall show production than S1 tbh. S1 is very different when you go back and watch it after a run through. A lot of folk don't appreciate how good S1 was until a 2nd viewing so it bodes well for you that you love it off the bat.

I don't think it's overly scripted now, that's the way it's always been. They generally shout over each other and the best parts of the show are the dialogue rather than the physical comedy.

I actually don't think it's jumped the shark yet thankfully and just hope wee Danny stays alive long enough to see the show through [emoji38]

43 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

S14 is probably a truer reflection of the overall show production than S1 tbh. S1 is very different when you go back and watch it after a run through. A lot of folk don't appreciate how good S1 was until a 2nd viewing so it bodes well for you that you love it off the bat.

I don't think it's overly scripted now, that's the way it's always been. They generally shout over each other and the best parts of the show are the dialogue rather than the physical comedy.

I actually don't think it's jumped the shark yet thankfully and just hope wee Danny stays alive long enough to see the show through emoji38.png

I will definitely watch it through anyway. There’s not many American comedy shows that I find funny, which is why I think I held off watching for so long, but really enjoyed the first season.

One of the opening scenes of the first episode, when the black guy walks in the bar and they think he’s there to rob them, and they then get themselves tied in knots trying to talk their way out of it, and the guy Mac chips in at the end ‘it’s because your black’. :lol: Brilliant comedy timing. 

Doing another run through from the start. I always think S1 has a slightly different feel to it but from the very first scene it sets the tone of the entire show:-

Dee: (Tells us she's met a new BF and asking the guys to behave) Sometimes you guys aren't too cool.

*Black man enters*

Dennis: Oh hey man, we're closed.

Man: Yeah, I know.

Mac: Oh woah, woah we don't want any trouble!

Dee: Guys, this is Terrell.

[emoji38]

I will definitely watch it through anyway. There’s not many American comedy shows that I find funny, which is why I think I held off watching for so long, but really enjoyed the first season.
One of the opening scenes of the first episode, when the black guy walks in the bar and they think he’s there to rob them, and they then get themselves tied in knots trying to talk their way out of it, and the guy Mac chips in at the end ‘it’s because your black’. [emoji38] Brilliant comedy timing. 
I posted that yesterday [emoji38]

It's just an incredible sitcom. When you finish that move on to Trailer Park Boys. That's Canada's best sitcom IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Season 2 where Frank finds out the twins aren't his. Him running around that restaurant shouting about his "whore wife" is fucking hilarious.
You tell her, she's a goddamn whore!

Always been a whore!

Those two lines kill me every time. What makes the second line so funny is that there is a conversation going on between that and the first line and Frank just shouts that out in the background as if to satisfy himself.