Jump to content

Business / corporate speak nonsense


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

you're stirring up a hornets nest with questions like that.

Probably just wants to wax lyrical about Bees, more like drone on IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hk blues said:

Surely somebody higher up has noticed this and something is being done?  80% to 0% is some decline.

There was enough repeat business coming in to cover that up. But now that has dried up the figures are showing. The manager above was entirely aware of this but didn't mind as the team was still profitable based off of existing orders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Another bit of corporate wankery I heard on the radio today was some tit talking about "unpacking" stuff.

And he wisnae talking about his suitcase.

If you can't unpack stuff and properly kick the tyres you're not going to get anywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/04/2022 at 00:50, hk blues said:

Surely somebody higher up has noticed this and something is being done?  80% to 0% is some decline.

You would think so, but I used to work with a VP level Sales Executive who was brought in with great fanfare as an expert in the field. In 18 months, his success rate was about 5-10%.

And for those sales, he "guaranteed" the client (in writing) that their production would increase by some astronomical figure if they signed with us. Not only were the numbers ridiculously unattainable, there were so many other factors which would influence their performance that we ended up paying out thousands (if not millions) of dollars for breaches of contract. The guy's sales technique was basically to tell the prospect "Let us know what you want and we'll give it to you." It came across as so fucking desperate that the prospects could hardly wait to get us out of the door so they could call our competitors.

Firing him would've meant that the people who brought him in admitting they'd screwed up so he was allowed to continue undoing the good work everyone else was putting in. He was eventually let go after drunkenly hitting on a happily married client at a conference. He walked straight into another very well paid position at a rival company. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Nice work if you can get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Shotgun said:

You would think so, but I used to work with a VP level Sales Executive who was brought in with great fanfare as an expert in the field. In 18 months, his success rate was about 5-10%.

And for those sales, he "guaranteed" the client (in writing) that their production would increase by some astronomical figure if they signed with us. Not only were the numbers ridiculously unattainable, there were so many other factors which would influence their performance that we ended up paying out thousands (if not millions) of dollars for breaches of contract. The guy's sales technique was basically to tell the prospect "Let us know what you want and we'll give it to you." It came across as so fucking desperate that the prospects could hardly wait to get us out of the door so they could call our competitors.

Firing him would've meant that the people who brought him in admitting they'd screwed up so he was allowed to continue undoing the good work everyone else was putting in. He was eventually let go after drunkenly hitting on a happily married client at a conference. He walked straight into another very well paid position at a rival company. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Nice work if you can get it.

Not at all surprised.

For me, the law around references has resulted in folk such as the one you describe being able to keep getting jobs despite being incompetent at best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not at all surprised.
For me, the law around references has resulted in folk such as the one you describe being able to keep getting jobs despite being incompetent at best. 
Can you not get around that just by saying "If you would recommend this person please get back to me." or such?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, hk blues said:
Not at all surprised.
For me, the law around references has resulted in folk such as the one you describe being able to keep getting jobs despite being incompetent at best. 

Can you not get around that just by saying "If you would recommend this person please get back to me." or such?

Yep, you can and do.  I was an HR guy and it wasn't unusual for these type of "off the record calls" to take place.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/04/2022 at 07:54, Day of the Lords said:

My work's buzz phrase just now is "living the values" and employees can now "Hive Five" each other. Utter bollocks.

I assume this includes high fiving anyone who comes out with such pish in the face?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An email received today, 

"We just need to sort all fruits out of the same basket"

It was in response to some emails overlapping.

Who thinks this shit up?

Edited by ford prefect
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/05/2022 at 10:56, DiegoDiego said:
On 02/05/2022 at 09:09, hk blues said:
Not at all surprised.
For me, the law around references has resulted in folk such as the one you describe being able to keep getting jobs despite being incompetent at best. 

Can you not get around that just by saying "If you would recommend this person please get back to me." or such?

My specialism is a fairly small and well connected one, so people have off the record conversations about candidates all the time. 

A glowing reference usually means they're shit and a bad one means they're worth hiring. No one wants to lose good staff to the competition. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My specialism is a fairly small and well connected one, so people have off the record conversations about candidates all the time. 

A glowing reference usually means they're shit and a bad one means they're worth hiring. No one wants to lose good staff to the competition. 

Yes, like most things if it's too good to be true it usually isn't and in this case the opposite can apply.

Towards the end of my time in HR we simply asked for referees to confirm employment dates as anything else was often not worth the paper it was written on.  Only resorted to off the record chats when there was something specific that we wanted to know more about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the views here on Management Consultancy? Having worked for a MC firm and having been in multiple businesses that have used such firms, I am forced to conclude the whole thing is a massive, massive scam. 

I would trust a big 4 accountancy firm or to do my accounts or audit them, but to provide advice to businesses on how to run their businesses? Absolutely not. They charge an absolute fortune for absolute garbage and cannot land straightforward projects. Same with your Gartners and Accentures of this world. The emperor truly has no clothes at all. 

It’s a massive confidence trick, and I do not believe it will ever change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...