Business / corporate speak nonsense

22 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Absolutely f**k being a salesman.  Knowing you spend every working day shafting people.  Usually elderly people.

They are usually also being shafted. 

My first graduate job was in sales after I answered an advert for a marketing management training program. 

You were told you were self employed (no sick pay, hols etc) but actually subject to employment type control. Commission only-£10 to sign a mug up for Gas and electricity or £4 for one. 

We got taught how to railroad thickos into signing. 

There was motivational crap, standing in a circle, clapping, and getting to hi five round the circle if you hit your targets. 

I went back to catering for more money and more self-respect. 

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

My first graduate job was in sales after I answered an advert for a marketing management training program. 

You were told you were self employed (no sick pay, hols etc) but actually subject to employment type control. Commission only-£10 to sign a mug up for Gas and electricity or £4 for one. 

There was motivational crap, standing in a circle, clapping, and getting to hi five round the circle if you hit your targets. 

image.jpeg.1b6f783e0e107ef0284a2760a9d6786f.jpeg IMO

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

How is that a graduate job? It sounds more like it's for prisoners in early release.

Just read an e-mail that I was copied into, where the recipient was asked to 'check his bandwidth' later this week (apparently meaning how busy are you on Thurs/Friday?)….....

how did we get here, using this nonsense pish!?     

Week 4 - Building Personal Resilience

If we concentrate too much on work we wander from the Path of Transformation into the Hall of Lost Resilience. This hall contains many mirrors which ramp up our negativity.

How do we combat this you ask? Well, in our Action Pack we have Energy Boosters to get us back on track. Plus we need to Reframe negativity into positivity.

So "my God, we've hit an iceberg and are going to drown" changes to "well its a nice night for a swim"!

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

If we concentrate too much on work we wander from the Path of Transformation into the Hall of Lost Resilience. This hall contains many mirrors which ramp up our negativity.

How do we combat this you ask? Well, in our Action Pack we have Energy Boosters to get us back on track. Plus we need to Reframe negativity into positivity.

So "my God, we've hit an iceberg and are going to drown" changes to "well its a nice night for a swim"!

Whilst you freeze to death. Or “I was too hot anyway, it’s good to cool down a bit”

J. Bruce Ismay likes this.

On 11/07/2019 at 14:19, coprolite said:

I went for a training day for a job trying to get people to change electricity provider. It was door to door sales in Australia. Not a single Aussie worked there, it was all brits. They actually encouraged you to drive the car like it's stolen to reduce time between doors.

Every morning they would all meet at the office and be assigned a specific area of the city with doors to knock on.  First up tho everyone would get in a huddle and perform a 'raa raa'. A different person would be selected each day to scream motivational phrases while everyone else jumped around high fiving each other. 

I didn't go back after the first day, it was absolutely brutal. 

7 hours ago, Swarley said:

This is why people kill.

5 hours ago, Swarley said:

Love this. 

"That's Betty popped her clogs" = "The nursing home is less crowded"

"I'm afraid you've got leukemia" = "At least you'll finally shed those last few pounds"

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

I went for a training day for a job trying to get people to change electricity provider. It was door to door sales in Australia. Not a single Aussie worked there, it was all brits. They actually encouraged you to drive the car like it's stolen to reduce time between doors.

Every morning they would all meet at the office and be assigned a specific area of the city with doors to knock on.  First up tho everyone would get in a huddle and perform a 'raa raa'. A different person would be selected each day to scream motivational phrases while everyone else jumped around high fiving each other. 

I experienced similar with a door to door student job over in the States.

The company would encourage us to stay together so that we could do things like leave $5 bills in the shower (so that the first to jump out of bed when the alarm went could scoop it) and do the additional morning motivational bullshit that you've described.

Like the naive fresher I was, I obviously flew myself across there for the training out of my own pocket so I was pretty much committed to the whole thing.  I was a resounding failure and came home having lost money.  Those were the days.  

1 hour ago, GTG_03 said:

Getting door to door sales folk hyped up can lead to this sort of trouble:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bizarre-window-firm-feud-sees-13716046