Your clubs worst ever manager

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave Clarke, Lambie, Bannon.

Lambie edging it.

I'd almost forgotten about Dave Clarke...woeful times, but Lambie definitely for his my way or the high way attitude after best buddie Fulston bought him in

• 2 weeks later...

But remember, Grant Murray turned hoards and hoards of people away from Starks Park...

At times Murray's tactics seemed little better than 'get ball, kick ball'.

For all Murray's ineptitude I reckon Dalziel was as bad, and he possibly drove even more fans away than Murray.

It's between Calderwood and Butcher. Difficult to say. I guess it comes down to which one I preferred shouting at from the stands, and - in this respect - the clear winner is Butcher. He really had no idea how to manage a football team whatsoever.

At times Murray's tactics seemed little better than 'get ball, kick ball'.

For all Murray's ineptitude I reckon Dalziel was as bad, and he possibly drove even more fans away than Murray.

Dalziel was far, far worse than Murray.

People overstate how poor Murray was.

Dalziel was far, far worse than Murray.

People overstate how poor Murray was.

Dalziel had worse players at his disposal and Ive no doubt Murray would have done no better with them than Dalziel. Its hard to assess, but I think they were equally bad managers, one was pish and the other shite.

Our worst, in my opinion, was Willie McLean, in season '84/85. His brother Tommy had got us promoted the previous season, and despite being a wee hamster-faced misery Tommy had done a good job at Cappielow in his only season with us, getting us up and getting a bit of optimism and life instilled about the place. Then he left for a ten (I think?) year stint at Motherwell, and his parting, err, gift to us was to give his brother Willie's phone number to the chairman.......

It was always going to be hard to keep us up that year, but Willie didn't seem to have a clue about how to go about it. It was a miserable season, with inept displays, poor tactical decisions and a marked lack of morale and team spirit, and straight back down we went. I think he'd come back from Cyprus to take the job, and as the season dragged on he was often referred to by the support as "Coco the Cypriot".

He was gone after that one season, and I don't think he ever managed again in Scotland; I'm fairly sure he did a few years as a community football official with the SFA. He certainly did sweet FA for Morton.

The only manager we've had who came close to being as shambolic was the mouth on a stick that is Kenny Sheils the season before last, whose awful tenure saw us dumped down into League One and ended with a 10-2 defeat away to Hamilton on the last day of the season, but as we were already on course for the rocks at full steam ahead when he took over it's only fair that the award goes to the dunce of the three McLean brothers. Thanks for nuthin', Willie.

What was the deal with that? I heard he didn't get on with Pressley, could be shite though! What did he do so wrong?

I believe it had something to do with wives of both McCann and Pressley, which led to a spat between them. However, we were going through a managerial change at the time and McCann more than spat the dummy. The way he acted in around the club at that period was an embarrassment for someone of his experience

• 4 weeks later...

Archived