Your clubs worst ever manager

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy McLaren.....horrible man.....also how can he be forgiven for signing Steve Spider Ramsay and Jim Butter!!!

In contrast, Billy McLaren is an absolute legend at Accies. His wunderteam of 1992 that missed promotion to the Premier League on goal difference were absolutely wonderful and still fondly spoken about to this day.

Guys like Allan Ferguson, Jim Weir, Andy Millen, Craig Napier, Colin Miller, Colin Harris, Paul McDonald, Gary Clark, Billy Reid, Trevor Smith, Kenny Ward, George McCluskey ... what a team and squad Billy McLaren built. Legends.

In terms of results it has to be Andy Harrow ( 1992-1993 season ). John Brownlie gained us promotion and was then sacked by our Chairman. I'm sure that the other part of our wooden stand also burned down about that time. Harrow was appointed from a junior outfit and was completely out of his depth. We had a truly horrendous season,were pumped virtually every week and soon relegated.

Brian Welsh was however the manager I disliked the most. He was the same Chaimans son-in-law and completely useless. As said already he was eventually sacked and left with a very large cash settlement in his back pocket.

He did get us to a cup final and that cannot be discounted.

I will go for Frank McGarvey or Ally McLeod. Mind you, they were hindered by being around in the Harkness era.

McLeod? :o I recall the McLeod season very fondly. Shocked that you'd mention him. We couldn't defend for toffee right enough but we were about the top scorers in the country or thereabouts and the Thomson and McGuire front line got about 50 odd between them. Templeton and Robertson (and occasionally Dougie McGuire) out wide. Absolutely no defensive discipline in there but by God it was entertaining to watch. Ian Thomson scored a good few from midfield too.

Billy McLaren.....horrible man.....also how can he be forgiven for signing Steve Spider Ramsay and Jim Butter!!!

And Andy Thomson, and Jamie McAllister and David Lilley. Made us a lot of money with those three.

I know he could be a very scary man and I suspect at times he wasn't pleasant to play for but I always found him very sociable. We've had much worse.

McLeod? :o I recall the McLeod season very fondly. Shocked that you'd mention him. We couldn't defend for toffee right enough but we were about the top scorers.

The old Second Division during the Harkness years was grim place to be. As I alluded to above, those in charge during his time can probably rightly say they were severely hindered by his lack of ambition. Mind you, we still made an arse of it under McLeod if truth be told.

The old Second Division during the Harkness years was grim place to be. As I alluded to above, those in charge during his time can probably rightly say they were severely hindered by his lack of ambition. Mind you, we still made an arse of it under McLeod if truth be told.

You have decades to choose from in the Second Division "Harkness Years" though. For me, the Clark promotion season in 85-86 aside, the McLeod season was about the best of them. An extraordinary run to the B&Q Cup semi final in his time too featuring a 7-4 win at Montrose, a penalty kick win over Stirling Albion and a 2-0 lead chucked away in the semi final at Ayr. I guess there's a valid case that the team had more than enough talent to win that league and so fair enough but as I say, I remember that season fondly.

Joint Managers, Rowe and Eadie must be up there, stranded at the bottom of the division and only saved from relegation by Hamilton being deducted 15 points. More recently, Gus "play for a draw" McPherson. The worst of it was that when relegation was confirmed and he was getting absolute pelters from the fans to "F**k Off" he had already decided to leave, so what a waste of seethe that was. Chisholm was ok, I saw my team play in a Scottish Cup Final and in Europe but he snuck off to the "big club" Dundee, wi' wee "Doddsy" and they promptly went into administration. How I laughed.

A runner-up to my (so far undisputed) Jim Fallon nomination for Dumbarton FC would be Jim George in the late 1980s.

He had been a relatively successful Junior manager but made the mistake of signing a barrow load of Junior players who, collectively at least, couldn't hack it at Senior level. Brutal to watch.

A runner-up to my (so far undisputed) Jim Fallon nomination for Dumbarton FC would be Jim George in the late 1980s.

He had been a relatively successful Junior manager but made the mistake of signing a barrow load of Junior players who, collectively at least, couldn't hack it at Senior level. Brutal to watch.

I wouldn't dispute the Jim Fallon nomination but I would certainly offer a few facts in mitigation. He took over when we were in the first division having got there with Murdo McLeod and a decent bit of money behind us. During that close season Rankine reappeared and somehow regained control of the club (Innes had been holding Rankine's shares by proxy as Rankine had been bankrupt). Murdo, seeing the situation quickly decanted to Thistle and the directors Dawson and Hagen who had underwritten Murdo's salary were ousted from the boardroom. Fallon had hardly any budget and it must be difficult to stay up when even the club owner was more happy with third division football so long as he didn't have to spend money. Fallon's mistake was staying on for a second season where he was once again on a hiding to nothing with no encouragement or budget to speak of. So yes it was a terrible period but with a terrible board and the season following JF's departure they finished bottom of the third which was even worse (although Ian Wallace could be excused as the club were in freefall).

Other than Jim Fallon, I'd give you Bertie Auld, Mark Clougherty, Jim George, Gerry McCabe and Paul Martin to be in the front row of the Parade of Diddies.

Archived