Budapest

GorgieRoad

3 of us will be spending 3 nights in Budapest at the start of June, it's the longest we'll be staying in one particular place but we're not actually sure what there is to do there.

We'll arrive in the evening on a saturday and be there until midday on the tuesday, I've seen a few people mention the city but it didn't have a dedicated thread.

I've looked at the 'bath parties' on the saturday night, although I'm not sure if we'll arrive too late for that. Apart from that I'm fairly clueless on what Budapest has to offer, any advice on pubs, hostels, sights etc would be appreciated!

I've been to Budapest a few times, love the place. They might be the quintessential backpacker arsehole places to go, but I really liked the "ruin pubs", which are entire buildings turned into multi-floor bars, often with an outdoor courtyard bit. They're always rammed with ex-pats, so might not be ideal if you're looking for anything properly 'Hungarian', whatever that might be, but I thought they were smashing spaces. Here's a website about them: http://ruinpubs.com/

The Széchenyi baths are incredible as well. Guaranteed to sort a stinking hangover right out, and you can buy booze there if you want to top yourself up. The House of Terror is worth a visit too, as grim as it is. It's a museum housed in the old Arrow Cross and ÁVH building and commemorates communist and fascist repression in Hungary over the course of the 20th century.

Budapest is a great city. Last time I was there (2012), pints were less than £2. Try the halászlé - it's the best soup on Earth - and there's a an unbelievable 24-hour Montenegrin café here: http://www.mnggurman.com/index_en.html where you can eat your own weight in meat for less than a tenner. Both times I've been there I've passed out through a combination of bevvy and being too full of dead Balkan animal.

Ye'll have a blast. Going to try and get out there again myself in November.

Some city like. Sounds a pretty unoriginal suggestion but the bus tour is really worth doing in Budapest. Get a sense of what you fancy doing, pop off at Gellert Hill and meander back into town. The results on Google Images don't really do the view from up there justice, tremendous.

gellert_hill_02.jpg

Nightlife wise, it seemed like a good pub crawl type city, can barely remember the name of any boozers we were in but there were many. Go on google maps and find Astoria and Nugati Paulyadvar Metro stations. Just think of a massive sort of semi circle between those two stations and there's fucking millions of pubs and clubs in that area. Morisons and Bar Szimpla are just about the only names I remember and they were both defintely worth a visit, the latter particularly.

Don't know about hostels but you can get a wee apartment with barely anything it but a few beds/sofas in the city centre for f**k all. Parking out on a wee balcony with your mates in a beautiful city is the best bit about a holiday, imo. It'll be absolutely roasting in June though so be prepared. If any of you are Gingers, I wouldn't bother going.

Tip, "nightclub" doesn't mean the same thing there. Avoid asking for that if you don't want to end up fearing for your life.

Lived there for 6 years and for me the best city all in all.

The ruin pubs, mostly in the Jewish quarter are a good shout.

Plenty of restaurants around Oktogon.

The Terror Haz is a good museum covering the Nazi occupation then the Russian Occupation, its not far from Oktogon.

Statue Park is interesting, a little far out but you can get their by bus easy enough. Its where the old Communist statues are on display.

A trip on the HEV up to Szentendre is worthwhile and around the Danube bend.

Pop into The Kaledonia Pub and speak to Pat, he'll keep you right.

Sounds excellent, we'll probably be doing the usual backpackers stuff so the ruin pubs are right up our street.Decided to stay in one of the lesser 'party hostels' since it would be good to meet a few other people and the owners seem to organise bar crawls etc which is decent. About a 5 minute walk to the Oktogon area as well.

Generally following a pattern of getting mashed at night and tourist stuff during the day, good to have a few ideas on what to do, cheers for the replies.

If any of you are Gingers, I wouldn't bother going.

:lol:

Thankfully not.

Which hostel are you in? I stayed one night at one of those "party hostel" places and it was full of absolute zoomers. Moved onto two nights at the Wombats hostel and that was much better.

The city is great in general, you'll have a great time. Heroes Square is definitely worth a visit, it's on the way to the baths (name escapes me, but the main ones, where the Sparties are) from the centre so you could kill two birds with one stone there. We tried going to the House of Terror but it was closed (shuts on Monday only, apparently) and I was really disappointed about that, being a History graduate and all.

Ruin pubs are all terrific, and as a general rule any "local" drinks they tell you to try in Hungary take them. They're all absolutely wonderful, unicum and palinka in particular. My favourite drinks from my travels outside of rakija in Croatia.

And aye, it's fucking awful in terms of the heat. We went to the Grand Prix last year where they give you a free bus that drops you maybe two miles from the track, with an uphill climb. At 52 degrees I was fairly convinced the end was nigh...

Edit: and definitely do not ask for a nightclub or you will end up in a brothel. And from what I hear, they make most of their money from people making just that mistake...

Which hostel are you in? I stayed one night at one of those "party hostel" places and it was full of absolute zoomers. Moved onto two nights at the Wombats hostel and that was much better.

The city is great in general, you'll have a great time. Heroes Square is definitely worth a visit, it's on the way to the baths (name escapes me, but the main ones, where the Sparties are) from the centre so you could kill two birds with one stone there. We tried going to the House of Terror but it was closed (shuts on Monday only, apparently) and I was really disappointed about that, being a History graduate and all.

Ruin pubs are all terrific, and as a general rule any "local" drinks they tell you to try in Hungary take them. They're all absolutely wonderful, unicum and palinka in particular. My favourite drinks from my travels outside of rakija in Croatia.

And aye, it's fucking awful in terms of the heat. We went to the Grand Prix last year where they give you a free bus that drops you maybe two miles from the track, with an uphill climb. At 52 degrees I was fairly convinced the end was nigh...

Edit: and definitely do not ask for a nightclub or you will end up in a brothel. And from what I hear, they make most of their money from people making just that mistake...

Staying in the Unforgettable nights/X-Hostel (I'm not sure if they are actually different, both are advertised separately with slightly different prices but are located at the same address, we just went for the cheaper one.) The location looks excellent, about halfway between Heroe's square and the Astoria subway station, definitely walking distance to the baths. We've not booked it yet, so feel free to tell me it's fucking awful.

We'll definitely be doing the spa party since it starts at half 10 which gives us plenty of time to get to the hostel then back out.

Not sure how I'd react to someone asking me to try 'unicum' tbh.

Unicom is like Benylin, its disgusting, palinka on the other hand is excellent, a very 'flowery' schnapps.

The beers are all very good, Dreher (the most common), Borsodi (Borsodi dark will knock your head off!) and Soproni are the main three and all good.

Phoneticlaly: 'Edge Short Kayrek Say Pen' is one beer please, substitute Edge for Teez and your ordering 10.

The baths beyond Heroes Square are the Szechenyi baths, The Gellert Baths are also worth a visit. I suppose you'll be fine during a party at these places, but just know that the baths are massive pick up joints for the gay population in Budapest and there are certain days and times that the gays congregate. Just in case that type of thing concerns you.

Buy the tickets for the metro, tram and buses at the underground entrances or tabaks and stamp them as you board. There nearly always checked on metro, infrequently on the trams and nearly never on the buses, but for the cost of them, just buy them and stamp them, it saves you hassle and helps a fucked economy. To buy a book of 10 tickets its " Teez Yay Yek, Kay rek Say Pen" Change teez for 'Whooze' and its a book of 20.

They have tried to regulate the taxis, but don't trust a taxi driver to take you where your going, know where your going first. As people have said asking for a night club isn;t going to get you where you want to go. The level of extortion is nothing like it used to be as the police had to clam down on it a few years ago, but I'm sure it still exists. I can't help you on good nightclubs, but again, if you go into the Kaledonia, Pat will keep you right.

The Old mans pub is a bit of an institution and wirth a visit (don't be fooled by the name) its a good place to go, even finish the night/morning.

The Kehli Vendeglo is an excellent traditional restaurant. Its a bit out of the way, but worth going to . You would need to get a taxi there (District 3, Mokus Utca)

The food on the whole is excellent if not like lead weights.

There is the restaurant with the biggest (most extensive) menu in the world (in the Guniess Book of records) up near Deli Palyaudvar, I have never been but quite sure it would be shit.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Don't do any pub crawl tours, it really would be a waste, its a magical city, nearly everyone has some understanding of English and a few words of Magyar (Moy Yawr) will go down well.

3 days would be fair enough to see the main sites for sure. October would be a good time to go, it will still be warm, but starting tocoll off for winter.

Price wise for meals, I'm not 100%, I have been away for 3 years now, but was there in February to work out a few things in my flat. It depends where you eat like anywhere else in the world. If you eat touristy it will be like back home cost wise (Lizst Fernc ted has loads of excellent, but expensive restaurants). If you eat more local places, it will be cheap.

There is a good variety of food available, from local food to international restaurants. If your with the wife, the coffee shops are good to pass the time, Europa on the Korut just up form Erszebet Hid is a well priced one, good coffee/tea and excellent cakes.

It's a great place i found it better than Prague or riga a lot less drunken british stag night bell end types. The people seem surly and miserable looking they really aren't and for some reason they became a lot more friendly/helpful when they found our I was Scottish. As before be very wary of nightclubs/titty bars/knocking shops. If you go the terror museum it's in a really nice neighbourhood and is really interesting I think it's shut on a Monday. Their underground is a funny thing to use it's almost as if it's made from leftover parts of everyone else's. If you're into this sort of thing the ancient caves are good there are some a bit further out up a hill and the buda side which are worth a hike too.

Jet2 fly from Edinburgh there and I've had a quick scout of hotels - found a reasonably Central one for 200 euros for four nights. Flights aren't the cheapest, £300 for me and the wife.

Be careful when you say a central hotel, Budapest doesn't really have a centre. It could be considered the Vaci, Deak Fernc ter of a few points along the inner Korut.

The metro was the first in mainland Europe, second in the world. Line 1 is a trip into history itself.

• 3 months later...

Just booked 3 nights in November from Inverness, £151 including changing at Gatwick and twin room ensuite at "Marco Polo Top Hostel", which seems to be surrounded by Ruin Bars. Any advice or warnings? Public transport best option from airport? Seems you can get a 72 hour travel card for a tenner.

P.S. I really hope I haven't booked myself into a "Party Hostel" as mentioned above. :unsure2:

Depends which airport you go into, low cost go into Terminal 1 and you can cross the road and get the train to the West railway station. There are buses as well. If its terminal 2, you would either get a bus or you have to go to Terminal 1 (a few kilometres) and then the train. All in all, best just get a taxi. I've never heard of any travel cards, but as I haven't lived there for 4 years, it may be something new. Usually you just buy a book of tickets. By November the the wet hare will have turned, so don't expect too many of the ruin pubs to be open. Many are seasonal. There is still plenty to do in November and its a great city

Depends which airport you go into, low cost go into Terminal 1 and you can cross the road and get the train to the West railway station. There are buses as well. If its terminal 2, you would either get a bus or you have to go to Terminal 1 (a few kilometres) and then the train. All in all, best just get a taxi. I've never heard of any travel cards, but as I haven't lived there for 4 years, it may be something new. Usually you just buy a book of tickets. By November the the wet hare will have turned, so don't expect too many of the ruin pubs to be open. Many are seasonal. There is still plenty to do in November and its a great city

They've closed down Terminal One. Looks like bus and metro is the easiest, too mean to pay for a taxi.

Archived