Budapest

GorgieRoad

Just booked 3 nights in November from Inverness, £151 including changing at Gatwick and twin room ensuite at "Marco Polo Top Hostel", which seems to be surrounded by Ruin Bars. Any advice or warnings? Public transport best option from airport? Seems you can get a 72 hour travel card for a tenner.

P.S. I really hope I haven't booked myself into a "Party Hostel" as mentioned above. :unsure2:

That part of town is quite lively with a few party hostels, couldn't say whether that is one or not though. Had a look on google maps and it seems you're just round the corner from the ruin bar 'Szimpla' which is probably the best bar/street I've ever been, fantastic place. Not sure how much it changes in winter with it being by and large open air but it was brilliant in the summer at night. That part of town is particularly confusing though with plenty of narrow streets, we ended up wondering around for a good 20 minutes trying to find that Szimpla place and realised we'd been about 5 minutes from it at the start.

There's a nice cheap Hungarian cuisine place called Kek Rosza (or something along those lines) that we loved a few streets along.

I am in Budapest at the moment, been here for almost four weeks, incredible place. Will write a more detailed post about places I would recommend and stuff when I get back at the end of next week. Off to the A38 tonight, apparently the best bar in the world according to lonely planet.

Budapest is a tremendous place. Does anyone know if the mentalist still hangs around outside the castle (at the top of the funicular railway) trying to get folk to buy tours from him?

Went to the Sziget festival last week. Absolutely shits on any festival here from a great height. Only spent 3 days in Budapest but paying under a tenner for 9 pints is my idea of heaven. The locals were sound and I've still not seen an ugly woman yet either.

• 4 years later...

Anybody got any good recommendations for restaurants near Szimpla Kert?  My wife is organising a hen party and her first nights reservation has been cancelled at short notice.  Obviously she can't find anything and I've been asked to look.

Can't be spicy food and apparently the other bridesmaid doesn't want to go to the amazing Karavan Park just next to the ruin bar.

Closest: Il Terzo Cerchio, Dohány u. 40, 1074 Hungary

Indian: Indigo Indian Restaurant, Jókai u. 13, 1066 Hungary

Local: Pozsonyi Kisvendéglő, Radnóti Miklós u. 38, 1137 Hungary

Entertaining (but far): Kéhli Vendéglő, Mókus u. 22, 1036 Hungary

15 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Cheers Tight John McVeigh is a tit (:lol:).  Have forwarded a couple of them on to her.  Hopefully one will do and I won't have to do any more 'work'.

6 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Not recommending the Scottish bar anymore then? 

3 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Not a restaurant, and as said before was sold a while back and gone right down hill.

Seemed more of a restaurant than a bar to me, and the tinned haggis was ok.

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2014 at 19:55, JMDP said:

I am in Budapest at the moment, been here for almost four weeks, incredible place. Will write a more detailed post about places I would recommend and stuff when I get back at the end of next week. Off to the A38 tonight, apparently the best bar in the world according to lonely planet.

Where is your more detailed post?

Archived