A Song of Ice and Fire Thread. (spoilers ahoy)

Out of interest how long have you been reading the books?

I read the first four within a month or two in 2009 and I still think the wait between books is far too long, can't imagine what it must be like for the folk who started reading it in 1996, yes that's right, 19-feckin-96!!

When I read them at first I was crazy for more but now it's been 4 years since I read the last book , which was shit btw, I find myself caring less and less and have found many other stories are just as good or better.

Shortly after the third season of the tv show finished I was given all the episodes to watch and did so in a week and then shortly after bought the books and rattled through them in half a year or so and then about a year ago I got the audiobooks for working away and rattled through them too.

I love the world and the characters if no more were made due to GRRM kicking it, it would be slightly frustrating but I'd get over it, and would probably return to the series from time to time like I do with Sherlock Holmes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shortly after the third season of the tv show finished I was given all the episodes to watch and did so in a week and then shortly after bought the books and rattled through them in half a year or so and then about a year ago I got the audiobooks for working away and rattled through them too.

I love the world and the characters if no more were made due to GRRM kicking it, it would be slightly frustrating but I'd get over it, and would probably return to the series from time to time like I do with Sherlock Holmes.

I'll check back in with you in 4 years time then, ;) at the moment you've been waiting just over a year for your next installment and you've had the TV show for recaps etc., try waiting 5/6 years when you can't remember what happened in the books and you find you've stopped caring.

If you enjoyed GRRM you should check out Joe Abercrombie, he's released 7 books since 2006 and he's got 2 more 'teen' books out this year, the man takes his profession seriously.

I'll check back in with you in 4 years time then, ;) at the moment you've been waiting just over a year for your next installment and you've had the TV show for recaps etc., try waiting 5/6 years when you can't remember what happened in the books and you find you've stopped caring.

If you enjoyed GRRM you should check out Joe Abercrombie, he's released 7 books since 2006 and he's got 2 more 'teen' books out this year, the man takes his profession seriously.

I doubt I'll feel any different, once I'd caught up I was desperate for the next book, then I read something else and forgot about it.

GRRM has told the show runners the ending so we'll know where he wanted it to end even if the journey is different.

And thanks I will check that out although I have a dozen or so books to get through first!

I've read Abercrombie's first law trilogy and its well worth a read if you like games of thrones. It doesn't take itself quite as serious as games of thrones and there is some dark humour in it.

Just like games of thrones it has political plotting but not as on as grand a scale and even the main "good" characters have some sort of shady past.

• 4 months later...

GRRM hoping to get the book out before the next season begins. What do we think for it after having seen the series catch up?

Looks like ramsay wasn't bluffing with the pink letter and surely Mellisandre returning to the wall will be to fulfil one of the various theories about Jon surviving.

Also, if stannis really is dead then will the northern conspiracy change tack to finding rickon and declaring him king in the north?

Aye, i had presumed Ramsay was bullshitting, but it looks like he was telling something close to the truth.

Too big a coincidence for Mel not to be involved in some kind resurrection of Jon. Can see him being incapacitated for a while though, long enough for the Others bring down the Wall perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no chance he'll have it done before s6 starts. I've resigned myself to the books never being finished.

Not by him anyway.

I only read the books in 2010 and it was completely obvious even then that the lazy fat f**k was never going to finish the books. I naively ignored the warnings before starting as I didn't think he could continue to be this lazy. He made the excuse of a plot 'knot' for taking 10 years to release books 4-5, he's going to have to come up with a new one now.

He's the king of procrastinators, he does everything but the thing he should be doing.

• 6 months later...

Old news by now but still thought I'd post it:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

He's ruined the credibility of his books you have to think

A series that started twenty years ago is gonna be spoiled by a TV show that started 4 years ago. Hugely disappointing but not surprising

I only came to the books on 2013 so I'm not too fussed. Would have rather found everything out by reading it but it's been clear for years that won't be the case so I can deal with that

Joe Abercrombie would do the best job. However I'm fairly certain that GRRM has stated that he won't hand his work over under any circumstances.

To finish obviously. As he has allowed HBO to adapt it.

Got to agree Logan Ninefingers certainly would run riot in Westeros.

I mentioned on the TV thread for this about John Gwynne, think he would do an excellent job of finishing this off. His The Faithful & The Fallen series is outstanding.

Archived