A Song of Ice and Fire Thread. (spoilers ahoy)

What are folks throughts on the new directions the TV show took yesterday?

Glad of the change for Brans storyline tbh as his wandering through the north is an exceptionally boring part of the books although I do still harbour hope of meeting Coldhands!

I'm glad that they've sped up Bran's storyline as well.

I was wondering about Coldhands, also. Maybe he'll rescue Bran, Hodor and the Reeds from the mutineers at Craster's?? Surely Jon and the other Night's Watch won't meet them there, anyway.

One thing I've been disappointed at is the lack of Fat Belwas. I liked him in the books, and I thought he would've made quite a funny character for the show.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't see them meeting them there and think they'll escape pretty sharp. Episode nine is the big budget and is seemingly the battle with mance's army(titled 'the watchers on the wall') so possibly Stannis' arrival? Jon would need to be there for that surely. Then again, apparently Stannis will be travelling to bravoss in person to treat with iron bank so could these journeys all be done in the next four episodes?

Also the tenth episode is called 'the children'. Seems pretty likely that'll be bran finding the children of the forest meaning his storyline will have caught up with the books

• 2 weeks later...

Do we think lady stoneheart will be appearing in the TV series then? She's not the biggest part of the plot (yet) but surely something too shocking to leave out?

Envy the non-book readers as it'll be one hell of a shock when/if she appears

• 8 months later...

Just finished the books. Good stuff other than the turgid Feast For Crows.

Spoilers

Hate the Iron Born, its like a people from islands the size of the Hebrides terrorising the continent of Europe.

They also keep conquering castles with no siege weapons. Very little historic president of anyone doing that, yet they hammer many castles in the North and the Shields Islands.

Fear the dragons may be a bit "super weapon" when it comes to it. They turn up and its good night Cerssi and pals.

Jon wargs into Ghost then gets revived by Melisandre seems to be the most popular theory for that story arcs next move.

EastWatch is toast. With bells on. Horn of J-whats it name to turn up with the snow walker and break the wall?

Near creamed myself when Varys shot Ser Kevan yabassa, get some.

And I am totally backing R+L=J

And now my watch begins.....

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this series will be the most different to the books so far.

From what I can remember of the books tyrion ends up with a mercenary army and varys isn't with him. The trailer for the tv show has them both together. Bron isn't mentioned in the books again I don't think but appears in the trailer.

Hopefully they'll miss out the iron born stuff really didn't give a f**k who became their king yet half the book is taking up with it.

The Young Griff bits have been ditched to Tyrion will like just end up a slave then with the Second Sons before leaping ahead of the books. I believe GRRM has it all mapped out already so the TV will now move ahead of the story. I think that from TV perspective they need to start tying in the Westeros and Essos story lines.

Though those who have not read the books will shite it at the end of this series......

My thinking is that the only bit that will go significantly ahead of the books in this season at least will be sansa. I think the rest will all mostly end up at the end of last book. Pre battle of mereen, Battle of winterfell, cerseis trial etc

The Young Griff bits have been ditched to Tyrion will like just end up a slave then with the Second Sons before leaping ahead of the books. I believe GRRM has it all mapped out already so the TV will now move ahead of the story. I think that from TV perspective they need to start tying in the Westeros and Essos story lines.

Though those who have not read the books will shite it at the end of this series......

If by 'having it all mapped out' you meant, "no idea what to write next so is filling the books with extraneous filler that is so unimportant it can be removed or completely changed in the TV series" then yes, I agree, he knows exactly what he is doing. :lol:

http://mashable.com/2015/01/30/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin/

Now it's certain: The 'Game of Thrones' show will reach the ending before the books

That ends my, admittedly cynical, interest in the TV show.

Don't die George. Oh, and hurry the f**k up.

The only way we will ever see an end to this series, whether it be good or bad, is to watch the HBO series. I can't believe people still think GRRM will finish the books, providing he has no plans to increase the series then he still has two books to release. We might see the Winds of Winter but I highly doubt we'll see another, you're talking at least 5/6 years at his current writing pace which will only increase now he's a pensioner.

My old man is 3 years older than GRRM and looks about 20 years younger even with his 50 year smoking habit, he's prime dead pool material.

Looks like this series will be the most different to the books so far.

From what I can remember of the books tyrion ends up with a mercenary army and varys isn't with him. The trailer for the tv show has them both together. Bron isn't mentioned in the books again I don't think but appears in the trailer.

Hopefully they'll miss out the iron born stuff really didn't give a f**k who became their king yet half the book is taking up with it.

I'm sure Bron does get a mention in the books again. Doesn't he call the b*****d son of the woman he marries Tyrion?

Yeah I'm pretty much done with the tv show. I much prefer the density of plots and character development in the books.

On the books I'm on a third read of AFFC and it's still a bit of a slog tbh but I think people unfairly throw ADWD in with it. The later is a pretty strong book and with the setting up already done I'd expect the final two to be up there with SOS.

I'm about half way through AFFC. The best thing about this book is the introduction of Cersei as a PoV character. I love how similar the 3 Lannisters in terms of how they think, but how different they are with their actions.

I'm probably going to stick with the tv show. It'll likely ruin much of what happens in the books, but it really is compelling tv.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about half way through AFFC. The best thing about this book is the introduction of Cersei as a PoV character. I love how similar the 3 Lannisters in terms of how they think, but how different they are with their actions.

I'm probably going to stick with the tv show. It'll likely ruin much of what happens in the books, but it really is compelling tv.

No it won't. ADWD was slow, ponderous and incredibly dull. TV will cut out all that mince.

In AFFC and ADWD there are some brilliant stories. Jamie's arc is particularly fantastic. Everything aside from the Iron Born and Bran is good, granted it is slow but personally I'm in no great rush to finish I just love reading about the world GRRM has made.

In AFFC and ADWD there are some brilliant stories. Jamie's arc is particularly fantastic. Everything aside from the Iron Born and Bran is good, granted it is slow but personally I'm in no great rush to finish I just love reading about the world GRRM has made.

Out of interest how long have you been reading the books?

I read the first four within a month or two in 2009 and I still think the wait between books is far too long, can't imagine what it must be like for the folk who started reading it in 1996, yes that's right, 19-feckin-96!!

When I read them at first I was crazy for more but now it's been 4 years since I read the last book , which was shit btw, I find myself caring less and less and have found many other stories are just as good or better.

image.png?w=739&c=1

:lol: , I'd actually bet my house on GRRM not finishing the books (he is so reliably unreliable I have complete confidence), the TV show is the only way you'll get an ending.

Archived