Peaches Geldof Dead

The only thing worse than people's faux grief is people actually taking joy out of the death of a 25 year old mother. Great stage for some of life's failures to show how superior they (think they) are to others though.

There's been some cheap shots but its not like they're being made on a 'We love Peaches' forum, they're more ireverent than malicious. As many have said, its almost a reaction to the 'She was a saint and she touched my life' bollocks that in fairness is just as fake. I'm sure most peoples reactions would be along the lines of pity and sorrow for her family, tinged with a large dose of 'So what'.

Its incredibly unlikely that anyone connected with the lassie will be reading this forum, let alone thread so all the tears and faux grief on one side and the faux edgy 'I couldn't care less' is fine as long as it doesn't cross the forum guidelines. Thats my take anyway.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by anything that's been said, I just find it slightly peculiar that people get kicks out of showing how much they don't care about things. If they truly weren't bothered, why even post? It's quite amusing seeing how upset people get over some (normally attractive) lassie on Facebook posting RIP Peaches.

Its a sad state of affairs that most people give more than a 'its a shame etc' either way but it seems to be the way of things now, we live our lives through the TV and we're encouraged to buy into the celebrity drivel. The ones who are trying so hard to show how callous they are tend to be young men who usually get past trying too hard (I think I've managed it :unsure2: but that doesn't mean I'll not take the piss out of stuff). Equally whats the point in posting all the RIP guff on something that has no relevance to the person, its just a crap demonstration of how 'emotive' someone is. Its irks me seeing people falling over each other to demonstrate just how sensitive they are. One of my favourite P & B 'catchphrases' is the "It could have been me" with a tenuous link, it sums it up well.

I know that a friend of her late mothers is registered on P&B, I don't know how often they log on but they are registered none the less.

Yes have some respect for Sierra Cosgrove he could be Peaches da fir aw we know

I don't think anyone is pleased that someone died, suggesting that is just ludicrous.

Like I hinted at earlier the same people that scoffed at her and said bad things about her are now turning around and posting threads and posts on forums and social media telling the world at how sorry they are and how much it hurts them.

It's all totally undignified and makes me feel sick that nowadays people feel the need to use a tragedy to shine some light onto them.

This is why people on threads like this are poking fun, not at the horrible tragedy but at the people who feel the need to hang on its coattails.

I don't know if it's celebrity culture or the spread of narcissism through social media or a bit of both probably?

Let's try to treat everyone properly during their life and maybe they wouldn't feel like killing themselves?

Most offensive jokes aren't funny, just offensive. If its a funny play on words or a clever joke then i will still laugh no matter if its offensive but just laughing for the sake of controversy is pathetic.

i also find it easier to make light of cases of mass loss of human life rather than when a particular person dies. Not that i particularly enjoy making jokes about death or anything

This blog sums is it better than I can.

Today’s blog post is regarding something that I don’t think I’ve ever seen before in my life, it is the outpouring of faux grief regarding the very sad news that Peaches Geldof has passed away aged 25. I have been truly baffled by the attention this news has got off both people and the media. Now I’m not a monster, I’m not devoid of feelings and I know that the news of a 25 year old woman suddenly passing from this earthly realm without any warning and leaving behind two very young children and a husband would strike a chord on anyone’s heartstrings regardless of who it was that had passed away. In Peaches Geldof’s case I understand that her children will grow up without the vital and irreplaceable love of their mother, that her father and her sisters have lost someone they will never be able to replace. She was young and like most young people she was beautiful, which only adds to the tragedy. On a basic human level we struggle to understand how someone so young and healthy can suddenly pass away, it brings to the forefront of our mind our greatest fear, the fear of death and the fact we are not immortal. Of course I understand all these things and just like anyone else they make me feel sad, they make me feel sorry and sympathetic towards her loved ones. But that’s all it does, my world will keep turning. What I don’t understand is where all the fake adulation has come from, the seemingly unstoppable flood of grief that has come from nowhere as if we have lost one of the great icons of our times.

On my Facebook and Twitter feed I’ve never once seen Peaches Geldof mentioned until she passed away. I’ve never once had or heard any conversations about the influential force amongst us that was Peaches Geldof. Now some people may say she was an icon, but to these people I would give the counter argument that she was a false icon. She was famous and known to the world for no reason other than she was blessed, or cursed, in the birth pool lottery and was born to famous parents. If she was an icon it is to a world that is fake, like the people who pretend to care so much about her life. For me this whole sad story has brought about the age old debate of why are some lives seen as more important than others. Yesterday there would have been other 25 year old mothers who passed away from this world leaving behind their children. Yesterday there would have been children killed through unnecessary and needless wars. Needless other than the fact that war makes certain people on this planet very wealthy. Yesterday 20,864 people died because they didn’t have any food to eat in a world where others throw food away1. Yesterday 22,000 children died because they live in poverty in a world where the richest 85 people have more wealth than the poorest 3.5billion people combined2. None of this will be on the front pages or even be mentioned in the news and media.

Over the weekend I watched the Hunger Games with my sister and in the world I see around me today I can compare it to the world that exists in the Hunger Games. For those who aren’t familiar with the films or books, the Hunger Games take place in a world where twelve districts are held under subjugation by the Capital district. The masses in the twelve districts live in slavery and poverty whilst those in the capital live decadent and luxurious lives. Because of their obscene wealth the people who live in the capital have lost touch with reality and they have become caricature characters, they see themselves as beautiful people. That is how I see the world today, I see a moneyed class that control every aspect of our lives living better than ever before. I see that they own and control a media platform that creates a false reality, a reality that has no bearing on how people actually live. And whilst this moneyed class enjoy everything that life has to offer I can also see the lives of the masses. The masses who live under constant duress, who are drowning in debt and are always one missed paycheque away from destitution and hard times.

We live stressed and worried lives because we are desperately holding onto the scraps that have been thrown our way, we don’t want to lose what little we have despite having everything to gain. We put all our hopes and dreams into the hands of the men we call politicians hoping they will create a better world for us. We are either blind or wilfully ignorant and fail to see these men will never help us whilst they are under the influence and control of the money masters. All the problems we face today are completely man made and could easily be eradicated. But instead these problems go ignored, these problems do not matter because the “beautiful people” are still living the good life.

In the words of Kanye West they have made us hate ourselves and love their wealth. In fact it is our problems, our hardships that gives them their wealth and privilege in the first place. We would be stupid to expect them to throw us a helping hand because as Martin Luther King Jr. once said. “it is an historical fact that the privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily.” But the influence of money is strong, there are people who try to raise awareness of the corrupt and unjust ways of the world but they are seen as cranks. Nobody has time to consider making a change for the better because everyone strives to be a beautiful person and will do anything to get to the top, the prettiest people will do the ugliest things. If only we could see the glass ceilings and notice that the carrot on the stick never gets any closer no matter how hard we work.

I will come to the conclusion of today’s post and bring it back round to Peaches Geldof. If there was any aspect of life that she did put her own individual mark on then it would be fair to say that it was in the false world of fashion. The artificial world that was originally created by men like Edward Bernays, the world that stands as the shining monument of modern times of how we have well and truly lost our way, where people care more about their clothes than their future.

When they weren’t pushing her as a junkie Peaches Geldof was one of media’s darlings, she was one of the “beautiful people” and that is why she has been propelled after death to the heights usually reserved only for truly remarkable people. She had no impact on my life and the world she represented does not match the reality of the one I live in. That is why there will be no outpouring of faux grief on my part. I will give my condolences to her family, I will say a prayer for her children. But I won’t turn a blind eye and join in the popular delusions of a hypocritical world just because everybody else does. To me this whole incident has just once again highlighted the power that the media holds over the masses of people and how it influences their lives, deciding who and what they think about on a daily basis. It would be wise for people to smarten up and protect themselves from this force because ultimately our minds are the most precious resource we will ever possess.

Celebrity dies: joke away

Footballer dies: OMG RESPECT RIP

I don't care for Peaches Geldof and won't shed a tear but it's sad that two wee kids will grow up without a mother. If only she had been a football fan or managed one of the Home Nations.

Or been Scottish.

I don't particularly like that blog - if said blogger is so angry at the state of the world and the way which social media controls our nation then why does he/she use said media in the first place?

I don't particularly like that blog - if said blogger is so angry at the state of the world and the way which social media controls our nation then why does he/she use said media in the first place?

Bloggers are predominately pretentious arseholes throbber.

Anyone with a blog is usually a c**t.

I think people are taking the moral high ground a bit too much here. It's correct to say it's wrong to joke about someone's death but we are on a Internet forum here. When you are on a computer

It de-humanises the situation. You are not subconsciously reading peoples facial expressions and all that palava. You are dealing with a screen here. What's next, a ban on all sick text jokes between friends.

Anyway it's sounding pretty much like it was a drug overdose or a suicide(or both). Either way she shouldn't have been engaging in either act considering she had children. If this was some skank from a scottish housing scheme I'm sure the press would have a different angle to report on this story.

I'm not condoning being a p***k on the internet. but some of the posts on here are people being real and honest not the bullshit false grief like simon cowells tweet today despite only meeting peaches twice.

I stopped about half way through when it got all whiney about politicians being in the pockets of money men. Like thats gonna change :o

Bloggers are predominately pretentious arseholes throbber.

Anyone with a blog is usually a c**t.

They sure seem to be, the person is obviously good at writing articles about things but seems to go off on a tangent and turn it into a personal dig at the world and leave the poor deceased Peaches as 2nd priority

I know that a friend of her late mothers is registered on P&B, I don't know how often they log on but they are registered none the less.

Without trying to be cold, they've probably got a good idea of the 'treatment' that a thread about her death would be like. I'm struggling to see why this tragedy should be so different from all the other ones that get mocked, as long as its 'within reason' then its 'fair game'.

I stopped about half way through when it got all whiney about politicians being in the pockets of money men. Like thats gonna change :o

The blogger mentions hypocrisy but yet fails to see they are using social media to talk about the state in which media controls our masses. You actually can't win with this sort of thing so your as well not bothering

People in the UK who complain about politics and democracy as it is should go live in Syria and see how much they love it there before writing such utter bilge

The blogger mentions hypocrisy but yet fails to see they are using social media to talk about the state in which media controls our masses. You actually can't win with this sort of thing so your as well not bothering

People in the UK who complain about politics and democracy as it is should go live in Syria and see how much they love it there before writing such utter bilge

Don't take it too seriously dude, there were plenty holes you could pick in it. Like I said, I started reading it, it was ok, meandered a bit, started getting crap, I stopped reading it, simples. I wasn't going t get wound up by some random radge on the internet, thats why I've got P & B :P

Don't take it too seriously dude, there were plenty holes you could pick in it. Like I said, I started reading it, it was ok, meandered a bit, started getting crap, I stopped reading it, simples. I wasn't going t get wound up by some random radge on the internet, thats why I've got P & B :P

It is generally well-written and I agree with the main theme of it, but I started to lose interest at "in the words of Kanye West".

Archived