"pay what you can" season ticket

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might just get a cuple of these for me and the wee guy when Livi aren't playing - easy to get to with the trains etc.

Brilliant idea from AR, hope it's a success - although I can see the possible long term issues pointed out by Albino.

Fair play to them. I heard the Rovers chairman before the Rangers replay saying that they had made a wedge from those games and wanted to give something back to the fans. Difficult to argue with that and if they can generate some publicity, sell a few more pies and pick up some additional long-term fans in the process, then it'll be well worth while.

For decades diddy clubs have tried everything to get bums on seats but there's only one way to get long-term fans, and that's to put a decent team on the pitch. Even that doesn't necessarily work, but at least playing well and getting promoted this season could have landed us big crowds for games against Ayr, Dunfermline, Morton and Airdrie.

If "pay what you can" worked every club would be doing it, but there's nothing to suggest it does. Since the Montrose "PWYC" game and the Scottish Cup successes there has been no change in the number of punters at Cliftonhill. The chairman's focus should be on working with what he's got, because it's all he'll ever have.

Usually Rovers will sell just under 100 £140 season books and bring in another 100-300 tenners each home game.

With this method they'll sell lots of cheap STs to whoever will buy them, and make next to nothing for the rest of the season. I think over the season the club will make significantly less money than normal and when the prices are jacked back up for the 2015/16 season next to none of the cheapo part-time fans will come back to pay full whack.

Rovers should be congratulated on this - a risk is being taken but a calculated one at that. SFL and SFA money (between £50k-90k over the years) not gate receipts is the income that have kept Albion Rovers alive for the last 20 years. The only real difference gate receipts have had over recent years was when the club had two extra home games with crowds upto 1000 for the playoffs in 2010-11. Personally I will be paying the same price as I paid last year £140.

An adult season ticket at min £70 for 18 games works out at £3.89 per game. I take it in terms of value for money you think the pricing is reasonable Happy Clappy since you posted on the " What price would you pay to see your team" thread you thought "It should probably be around £2-5 per game for this level of football".

I think £2-5 would be reasonable for this level, with players earning an average of £25 a week.

£10-70 season books with players earning £100 a week is great for the customers but won't make the club any more money than usual, and will be a one-season gimmick.

Another good publicity stunt at a time where you thought we'd had our moment in the limelight for another 20 years.

Anything that gets money in the bank up front can't be a bad thing and the cup cash will help to balance any shortfalls.

I'll probably get one at the minimum recommendation of £70 and try and make 7 games to get my money's worth. If I make any more than that then I win, any less and they get some free cash.

I would imagine the core Rovers support will pay the same as last season anyway and it's hard to imagine they'll lose much money through gate receipts from away fans, a couple of hundred tenners over the season at the worst. For that reason, this seems like it's worth a go.

It will be interesting to hear the results of this. At the end of the day if it gains a hand full of additional regulars then it's been a success on some level.

For decades diddy clubs have tried everything to get bums on seats but there's only one way to get long-term fans, and that's to put a decent team on the pitch. Even that doesn't necessarily work, but at least playing well and getting promoted this season could have landed us big crowds for games against Ayr, Dunfermline, Morton and Airdrie.

If "pay what you can" worked every club would be doing it, but there's nothing to suggest it does. Since the Montrose "PWYC" game and the Scottish Cup successes there has been no change in the number of punters at Cliftonhill. The chairman's focus should be on working with what he's got, because it's all he'll ever have.

Why can't you take it as a gesture to the loyal fans that have kept the club going and as a side it might bring a few more through your gate? It's not all about ticket money, if it's that cheap for a season a man may take his son down who hadn't done so before. The son will want pie's and juice and burgers or whatever and after a couple of games might want a Rovers strip. Small things but if you get 2 kids hooked at a young age, would you not deem that a success?

You mention that you think football at this level should be £2-5, but when you're club give you the opportunity to pay that you're not happy? Is the only problem that you wanted the money spent on the squad? There's no guarantee that puts a good team on the park and nor does having a good team on the park guarantee more long-term fans.

I've answered most of your queries in previous posts, Moonster.

I don't think any more fans, adults or kids, will get hooked than under normal circumstances. Pie sales may go up, which makes this publicity stunt good for Christie's. Maybe the plan is to attract a sponsor or two with increased attendances, and maybe John and his second choice commercial director will get a few to believe their pitch, but I expect next season's crowds to average 500 at best.

^^^ good point but apparently AR doesn't want that either. On another thread he says we should only pay players £25. Just not happy chappy I guess. Not happy with anything being tried by the looks of it. As I have said I think it's a bit mental but can't criticise the board for trying

I expect next season's crowds to average 500 at best.

That's my estimate too. The difference between us is that I would see such a figure for 2014/15 as a success, whilst acknowledging that the more telling assessment of this initiative can only come when the 2015/16 average gate can be calculated.

I've answered most of your queries in previous posts, Moonster.

I don't think any more fans, adults or kids, will get hooked than under normal circumstances. Pie sales may go up, which makes this publicity stunt good for Christie's. Maybe the plan is to attract a sponsor or two with increased attendances, and maybe John and his second choice commercial director will get a few to believe their pitch, but I expect next season's crowds to average 500 at best.

Fair enough, I just never thought fans would be disappointed with a discount.

Obviously this seasons windfalls have put Rovers in a position to try this, good luck to them for trying something different but don't see it as a long term success. Like most clubs their hardcore supporters would I imagine pay the normal full price which does not seem too bad anyway. If trying to gain new supporters would have thought it better to give out free tickets to schools & other groups that may find paying on a regular basis to go a bit hard. That way the folk that go anyway are not any worse off & could be rewarded for their loyalty somehow else, those getting free tickets may just enjoy going & when in a position to do so become more regulars at games.

post-51636-13971487397139_thumb.jpg

It's great to get the headlines but I think Mr. Devlin should be spending less time trying to make himself a celebrity by using Albion Rovers as a guinea pig and more time running the club properly.

Guinea Pigs, Monkeys, Cash Cows, AR's Fishing Trips. It's the Coatbridge Zoological Society...

It's great to get the headlines but I think Mr. Devlin should be spending less time trying to make himself a celebrity by using Albion Rovers as a guinea pig and more time running the club properly.

AR, what would "running the club properly" mean exactly ?

Did I not read on the club website that the chairman has brought in a credible individual as club secretary, an appointment that has widely been well received by those who know the guy ? Also seems to be looking for new board directors to replace Frank and wee Robert ? Bet he didn't see those guys stepping down so quickly. I certainly was surprised but seemingly Mr Watt was owed a long term loan so maybe the club can pay him back now ??

Was at the recent fans meeting and to hear the plans being shared openly was refreshing and good to see. Also thought the realistic objectives were logical and understandable. Were you at the meeting ? Are you interested ? Or just got your rod out again ?

For decades diddy clubs have tried everything to get bums on seats but there's only one way to get long-term fans, and that's to put a decent team on the pitch.

Ouch, just spotted this.

"Diddy Clubs" really ?

Are you referring to Rovers ? Seems you are.

Not having that.

Yes, we are what we are. A small club. But "diddy" I take offence at sir. I've not been on this forum long and was enjoying your fishing and jousting but I just think you are an attention seeker sir. Poor show.

Fantastic idea and would love to see the results at the end of the season.

Hopefully the public will back this.

If it entices a bigger crowd then in turn it will create a better atmosphere and may hook them to coming.

Personally I would be asking the club for say 10 season tickets and trying to sell them to friends and family that dont attend and therefor the club is bringing in additional income.

Always think atmosphere is important to hook young fans and a packed out home support would attract young fans along each week

Archived