"pay what you can" season ticket

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because the boy doesn't clap like a seal like all the internet worthies, doesn't mean he's in the wrong.

This scheme is just stupid attention seeking and he's right to question it.

I'll bite - if attention seeking (or gaining positive publicity) makes the club additional money through increased season ticket sales and sponsorships, then why would that be seen as a negative?

Good for you. Just be aware that the 'pay what you can' scheme ended last weekend so an adult season ticket will cost you £140.

Offs :(

I'll bite - if attention seeking (or gaining positive publicity) makes the club additional money through increased season ticket sales and sponsorships, then why would that be seen as a negative?

It won't. It's a cheap novelty that will wear off very very quickly.

Certain worthy fans love this type of thing though. You mostly find them on the internet.

It won't. It's a cheap novelty that will wear off very very quickly.

Certain worthy fans love this type of thing though. You mostly find them on the internet.

I don't understand why you are looking to put down a club who are trying their best to get people along to our games. The offer from us 'is what it is' we don't have many fans coming along to our games so the board are trying new things to get them along. Financial difficulties make it hard for families to be able to afford a day out at a football match so the rovers are trying to make it easier by letting people pay what they can afford to come along. Surely this deserves credit rather than criticism?? Yes the novelty may wear off but at least we have a club who are willing to give people/families the chance to get to a match rather than being priced out of it, which is what is happening with nearly all football clubs too expensive for families to go to.

I suppose I have to provide a bit of context here: I don't actually subscribe to the recently-trodden path that football is too expensive. My ultimate view is you genuinely can't give football away in the lower reaches of Scottish Football. Give it two years of free admission at Cliftonhill and I genuinely don't think the crowds would be much, if any, bigger.

If you want to attract the demographic you describe above, and have a sustainable club at the level you aspire, I genuinely don't think you can entice people at a very low, if any, charge then expect them to engage meaningfully at a later cost that meets your likely ambitions.

Presumably the idea is to attract a significant number of people who pay what they can afford this season, then pay what you want them to in future seasons. There can't be many people locally who aren't aware of the club who will turn up now and on the basis of what they see think they have actually been missing something and want to pay the going rate to attend from then on.

I have no beef with AR but I feel I see this in the longer term than many who feel they see it in the longer term.

Plus you internet nerds who think League 2 football is overpriced: why the f**k do you even go now? It's because you actually care. Do you think that anyone who doesn't really give a f**k is going to turn up every week just because it's a fiver?

I agree to some extent with both views. I really don't think dropping price will work in isolation. Lots of things need to happen but I think the board are at least open to try new ideas rather than just accept convention and be defeatist. It's a decent debate though. Maybe the debate itself makes it worthwhile.

Just my opinion. Maybees Aye Maybees Naw as someone once said.

I suppose I have to provide a bit of context here: I don't actually subscribe to the recently-trodden path that football is too expensive. My ultimate view is you genuinely can't give football away in the lower reaches of Scottish Football. Give it two years of free admission at Cliftonhill and I genuinely don't think the crowds would be much, if any, bigger. If you want to attract the demographic you describe above, and have a sustainable club at the level you aspire, I genuinely don't think you can entice people at a very low, if any, charge then expect them to engage meaningfully at a later cost that meets your likely ambitions. Presumably the idea is to attract a significant number of people who pay what they can afford this season, then pay what you want them to in future seasons. There can't be many people locally who aren't aware of the club who will turn up now and on the basis of what they see think they have actually been missing something and want to pay the going rate to attend from then on. I have no beef with AR but I feel I see this in the longer term than many who feel they see it in the longer term. Plus you internet nerds who think League 2 football is overpriced: why the f**k do you even go now? It's because you actually care. Do you think that anyone who doesn't really give a f**k is going to turn up every week just because it's a fiver?

I actually thought you were on the wind up at first.

I agree with your point about football not being expensive at this level, but as others have said, what's wrong with trying something different to attract people through the gate? It's surely better than accepting that the best you'll get is a couple of hundred fans and aiming for a mid table finish every year just because that's where you're expected to be. Although not intentional, this is also a good season to try this as about 6 of the other 9 teams are over 2 hours drive away, so away fans are unlikley to turn up in their droves.

This scheme isn't going to double the attendance at every game, but it might get an extra 50 people to come along on a regular basis. A good league campaign might get 50 more. It's all ifs and buts, but I can't understand the criticism for trying to raise the club's profile.

An interesting initiative by the Wee Rovers. As Mr Devlin says it will take a season or even longer to determine the success of the initiative in achieving its goals of raising the average home attendance at Cliftonhill. All the 625 ring-fenced places have been sold so an inital target has been achieved but at an average of £70 a ticket which isn't too bad. It seems that 60% of the season tickets sold were to folk intending to attend equating to around 375 supporters which is pretty good for the fourth tier. Nice to see that a lot of the more distant purchasers, effectively donators, have asked that their tickets go to local schools or community youth groups. Getting local kids along to the game is a part of the plan too I guess.

I considered getting a ticket but decided to just get along to a match or two if circumstances allow. Can you still sneak in at the old side entrance that leads to the shed? :whistle

• 1 month later...

Archived