"pay what you can" season ticket

Out of interest how many have been sold vs capacity and what problems would that possibly entail?

~300 books sold in the first week. Capacity soon to be increased to ~2,000.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the whole of the football world thinks this `Pay What You Can` idea is good one - except Albino Rover. `Rookie` Chairman (in football terms perhaps) John Devlin might be but he is a very successful businessman whom I am sure will have worked out the pros and cons. As of last night 300 tickets sold at an average of £70 - £21000 banked. Last season 100 tickets sold @ £140. = £14000 banked. To make up the gap from last year you would need 700 home punters paying £10 per game.

~300 books sold in the first week. Capacity soon to be increased to ~2,000.

Missed the part of that article where he gave what the average being paid is so some fag packet maths here and all info from that article but here goes:

Rovers normally have around 100 season ticket holders, sold at an average of £80 = £8,000

Rovers have sold this season around 300 season tickets at an average of £75 = £22,000

So, after ONE WEEK of sales you've taken in more than double what you normally do.

EDIT - That's before you count those embarrassing donations.

As of last night 300 tickets sold at an average of £70 - £21000 banked. Last season 100 tickets sold @ £140. = £14000 banked. To make up the gap from last year you would need 700 home punters paying £10 per game.

Greater income and publicity- 40 paying fans per game is more than likely- so great.

But we must remember the large expenses of the stand renovation and supposed increased staff budget.

Greater income and publicity- 40 paying fans per game is more than likely- so great.

But we must remember the large expenses of the stand renovation and supposed increased staff budget.

All covered by your cup run surely?

All covered by your cup run surely?

Not surely.

I think a big chunk of it was used to cover debts and legal bills owed. Playing budget unknown. Stand costs will be a large 6-figure sum.

Unless a large majority of these new season ticket holders are people who didn't attend games last year then this initiative will cost the club money.

As they don't know this information then it will have to wait until the end of the season for judgement.

In my view this is a bit of a joke, certainly a one-off gimmick.

I have to say supporters of other clubs talking about buying a season ticket for some random club, is just an attempt to seem 'worthy' on an internet forum and rather pathetic in my view. If you want to go and watch other teams the odd time, just go to another game close-by and pay the regular admission fee.

The Plymouth guy is just a publicity seeking idiot, if he's paying £300 for two season tickets for a club he's never heard of and won't ever watch. All that will happen here is a few people will jump on the band wagon for a brief spell, Albion Rovers will lose money, and the novelty will wear off meaning there will be limited impact if any club tries this approach in the future.

I wonder how many paying punters Rovers will now get during the bleak winter months, and how many people will just not bother going even though they got a season ticket for next to nothing? Doomed to failure in my considered opinion.

Unless a large majority of these new season ticket holders are people who didn't attend games last year then this initiative will cost the club money.

As they don't know this information then it will have to wait until the end of the season for judgement.

I recall Devlin stating that the real objective wasn't really about the immediate income. He said would be happy to break even on that front. Was more about rebuilding the clubs profile locally and encouraging people to come along.

It's gone beyond that. It's establishing a profile nationally.

At least he is trying new ideas.

Worth bearing in mind that there is a board of directors too. Not just one guy so I am sure the board are all behind it too. Credit where it's due I say.

Not surely.

Stand costs will be a large 6-figure sum.

£100,000 + to fix up the north terrace ?? I think not - remember we also have another recently appointed Director (Gillooly ?) who owns a civil engineering contracting company.

I recall Devlin stating that the real objective wasn't really about the immediate income. He said would be happy to break even on that front. Was more about rebuilding the clubs profile locally and encouraging people to come along.

It's gone beyond that. It's establishing a profile nationally.

At least he is trying new ideas.

Worth bearing in mind that there is a board of directors too. Not just one guy so I am sure the board are all behind it too. Credit where it's due I say.

Yeah, this if fair enough. I just seen some posts trying to justify this based on revenue.I am not sure that they would have been trying this had the bank balance not been boosted this year. Anyway, good on the club for trying something different and if it does get more punters in the door then so much the better.

They ask you this when you go to buy one so I'm sure they have a rough idea.

In my view this is a bit of a joke, certainly a one-off gimmick.

I have to say supporters of other clubs talking about buying a season ticket for some random club, is just an attempt to seem 'worthy' on an internet forum and rather pathetic in my view. If you want to go and watch other teams the odd time, just go to another game close-by and pay the regular admission fee.

The Plymouth guy is just a publicity seeking idiot, if he's paying £300 for two season tickets for a club he's never heard of and won't ever watch. All that will happen here is a few people will jump on the band wagon for a brief spell, Albion Rovers will lose money, and the novelty will wear off meaning there will be limited impact if any club tries this approach in the future.

I wonder how many paying punters Rovers will now get during the bleak winter months, and how many people will just not bother going even though they got a season ticket for next to nothing? Doomed to failure in my considered opinion.

I'm pretty positive that the club aren't looking to achieve their aims in one season via this one initiative.

They're in a position to try this and have decided to see how it goes.

I'm pleased when the team succeeds. I'm worried by a rookie chairman taking radical risks with a club that's still financially very fragile.

And how I wonder would such a "rookie" chairman become "not a rookie" chairman without taking and making decisions?

I'm pleased when the team succeeds. I'm worried by a rookie chairman taking radical risks with a club that's still financially very fragile.

we're on a much steadier foot now thanks not to charity, but to sound financial planning and hard work from the previous board.

Ha ha Good old Albino - the club finances have gone from looking over the precipice to standing on solid rock within the space of 10 minutes.

Leaving your rank hypocrisy to side for a moment Albino do you care to share with the rest of us if you will be purchasing a season ticket this year and how much you are willing to donate pay to the club?

Made me laugh too

I also acknowledge the work of previous board that the "rookie" chairman was also part of for the last 6 years... And he has retained most of them as well as bringing in a wider team to seemingly share the workload

All sensible management from where I'm sitting !

I certainly acknowledge that the previous BOD, when they took over six or seven years ago saved the club, but the steady departure of board members since then until there was only Robert Watt and Frank Meade indicates that there was internal issues. You cannot run a football club with only two directors. Since John Devlin took over the BOD has expanded, included a Supporters Trust member - something which RW / FM would never have done.

Ha ha Good old Albino - the club finances have gone from looking over the precipice to standing on solid rock within the space of 10 minutes.

Leaving your rank hypocrisy to side for a moment Albino do you care to share with the rest of us if you will be purchasing a season ticket this year and how much you are willing to donate pay to the club?

Steadier. Still very unstable. No hypocrisy.

I have purchased my season ticket for a price I deem appropriate based on the standard of football last season (and what I had in my wallet at the time.) I'm now waiting on a flyer through the door from the chairman thanking me for my charitable benefaction and begging me to adopt a member of the coaching staff.

Archived